Cam Christie = a young Quincy Lewis

Gaining more confidence and aggressiveness every game. Q played on a much more talented roster, and had a smaller role as a Freshman, but I can see it.

Quincy Lewis as a Freshman was called “instant offense” when coming off the bench. I am not sure Quincy as a freshman was a starter as Cam is, though they were/are both fun to watch getting the offense going.

Quincey Lewis was a heck of a player and he made things happen when he stepped on the floor.

Cam has a chance to be a superstar. That 3 he hit when the game was 45-40 MSU was something truly special and to me that really keyed the team to making the comeback. He wants to shoot and he has a hell of a shot.

Garcia is a really good player but he tends to vanish sometimes and seems reluctant to take over games. Cam wants the ball and he wants to shoot.....that is what superstars do. And he is just a true freshman....

Quincy Lewis as a Freshman was called “instant offense” when coming off the bench. I am not sure Quincy as a freshman was a starter as Cam is, though they were/are both fun to watch getting the offense going.
Quincy also played on a Final Four team his freshman year.

No he did not
Ok. The team went to the Final Four his sophomore year, with largely the same roster. It was a loaded team with Quincy playing behind a first round draft choice in Sam Jacobson and the other wing starting was Bobby Jackson, also a first rounder. Of course, Quincy was a first round draft choice himself.

It was a whole different club, so to say Cam is starting as a freshman and Quincy didn’t means nothing. I think Cam has a ton of potential but has a long way to go before we should be comparing him to Quincy (however, I don’t know that they are real similar players anyway). I hope in 2-3 years it is just easy to say Cam is a great player.

In another era I would be thrilled by this team that has no seniors (provided that Fox can come back). Hate to say it but my ability to enjoy the present is tempered by the possibility/likelihood that the big fish will "purchase" some of our kids, now that they have shown they can play.

In another era I would be thrilled by this team that has no seniors (provided that Fox can come back). Hate to say it but my ability to enjoy the present is tempered by the possibility/likelihood that the big fish will "purchase" some of our kids, now that they have shown they can play.
Bingo!

Ok. The team went to the Final Four his sophomore year, with largely the same roster. It was a loaded team with Quincy playing behind a first round draft choice in Sam Jacobson and the other wing starting was Bobby Jackson, also a first rounder. Of course, Quincy was a first round draft choice himself.

It was a whole different club, so to say Cam is starting as a freshman and Quincy didn’t means nothing. I think Cam has a ton of potential but has a long way to go before we should be comparing him to Quincy (however, I don’t know that they are real similar players anyway). I hope in 2-3 years it is just easy to say Cam is a great player.
I totally agree with you on all of that. All I said was he was not on a final four team as a freshman. No offense intended

I love Quincy but Cam’s ability to be a secondary ball handler has been invaluable. Quincy could get buckets like very few players but Cam’s a better ball handler.

The transfer portal has giveth much more than it has taketh away from the U. I have the same concerns as yours but I think it’s unlikely our best guys choose to leave barring some collapse.

Yeah I wouldn't mind if Christie slowed down a little.

The transfer portal has giveth much more than it has taketh away from the U. I have the same concerns as yours but I think it’s unlikely our best guys choose to leave barring some collapse.
That’s due at least in part because there hasn’t been much to take away. There is a lot more to take now and likely a lot more incentive for transfer than recent past.

I think it will take real money to keep some of our players.

It's a sad reality of today's college athletics that can really temper a loyal fan's enthusiasm about team and player development. What Cam is doing is pretty special for a true freshman.

That’s due at least in part because there hasn’t been much to take away. There is a lot more to take now and likely a lot more incentive for transfer than recent past.

I think it will take real money to keep some of our players.
What is your thought process based on?

I totally understand the uncertainty about the future in this current mess of a college sports landscape with player movement off the charts. Definitely makes it hard to project teams out beyond the current year because you just don't know what is going to happen.

Where I disagree is in letting worries about what MIGHT happen in the future, take away from your enjoyment of the present in any way. The football team was able to retain basically all of their key guys that could have hit the portal, and Dinkeytown Athletes seems to be doing some good things. Hopefully the same will hold true for basketball and we will see the guys decide to stay together and keep building.

With 18-22 year old players you never really know what they are going to do......so just enjoy the season and next year will sort itself out when the time comes.

I think we lose one, maybe two if Garcia goes pro. Cam is the least likely to leave imo, and I think other guys will stay because of him.
Garcia is an interesting case. In a bygone era, it would be afore gone conclusion he would be gone. Today, who knows? We once could speculate whether he enjoyed the college experience or not as a factor but probably not anymore. It is getting much closer to a pure career/financial decision than anything else.

Garcia could easily fall into that tweener place between college and pro and maybe get more playing college than lower level international pro ball.

Someone pointed out that Michigan has a “one more year “ fund specifically to lure players back who could easily go. It raised $100,000 in less than a day after their national championship game.

Garcia is an interesting case. In a bygone era, it would be afore gone conclusion he would be gone. Today, who knows? We once could speculate whether he enjoyed the college experience or not as a factor but probably not anymore. It is getting much closer to a pure career/financial decision than anything else.

Garcia could easily fall into that tweener place between college and pro and maybe get more playing college than lower level international pro ball.

Someone pointed out that Michigan has a “one more year “ fund specifically to lure players back who could easily go. It raised $100,000 in less than a day after their national championship game.
Garcia will be an interesting one to watch after this year. He doesn't strike me as a great NBA prospect right now and could probably benefit from another year of college ball.

I don't really like the Cam/Quincy comparison, besides both of them being awesome out of state recruits.

They are/were pretty drastically different as players.

I don't really like the Cam/Quincy comparison, besides both of them being awesome out of state recruits.

I don't really know who to compare Cam to that we have had in the past and I think he will be a different, and great player next year with more strength. I looked up his brother Max's stats and Cam's are actually even a little better. Max went pro too early. All I know with Cam is that we have a kid that can really stroke it and when he adds the strength to finish hard at the rim, he's going to be terrific. I have been surprised considering how thin he is, how well he gets in there and rebounds.

Agreed. Q was the classic 3 before they used the term. Cam is a clear 2 or combo guard. Different positions. Out of state really smart guys who had success as freshmen is where the comparison ends.

Max went pro too early.
I don't think so...depends on what his ultimate goals are. Max is playing pretty regularly for the Lakers and put himself into the league ASAP to maximize his career earning potential.

Something to think about when considering Cam's future...unfortunately for us as Gopher fans.

Top Bottom