Cam Christie’s development and impact

In tight situations I would rather have him be one of three to get the inbounds pass and get fouled (Garcia and Hawk being the other two). Much rather see him shoot free throws than pass it in.
Surprisingly his success rate at free throws in conference is the same as Parker Fox (.600)
6 of 10 for Christie and 9 of 15 for Fox

Last three games 17, 15 and 19 points. Feels like he is really coming into his own and is ready to become the focal point of the offense.

Might open some things up for Garcia as well if teams have to devote more time to worrying about where Christie is at all times.

Christie starting to show up in NBA Draft content. He's been better than his brother was, who left after his FR year and was a 2nd round pick. Could pull an Oturu. Have a huge 2nd season and jump to the NBA.

Go Gophers!!
It was still a bad decision to have Christie take the final shots in that game specifically as he was struggling and was in his 2nd college game ever. Kind of surprised Ben can't acknowledge that. If Christie is having an MSU like game, then yeah draw up the final play for him at this point and no one will have an issue.

Christie starting to show up in NBA Draft content. He's been better than his brother was, who left after his FR year and was a 2nd round pick. Could pull an Oturu. Have a huge 2nd season and jump to the NBA.
Wouldn't be surprised if he declares after this season...unfortunately for us

It was still a bad decision to have Christie take the final shots in that game specifically as he was struggling and was in his 2nd college game ever. Kind of surprised Ben can't acknowledge that. If Christie is having an MSU like game, then yeah draw up the final play for him at this point and no one will have an issue.
And if I remember correctly, there was no real play to get him a shot? Just gave him the ball and said figure it out.

Wouldn't be surprised if he declares after this season...unfortunately for us
His brother was a 2nd round pick who declared after his freshman year. Cam might want to wait another year to try and bump his stock up into that first round territory. Will be interesting to see what if any NBA buzz he is getting at the end of the season.

Hopefully he is back with us again next year.

His brother was a 2nd round pick who declared after his freshman year. Cam might want to wait another year to try and bump his stock up into that first round territory. Will be interesting to see what if any NBA buzz he is getting at the end of the season.

Hopefully he is back with us again next year.
As I recall he wasn’t as highly regarded as his brother out of high school. Yet he’s having more success out of the gate in college. Why would that be? Better coaching here? 🤔

Part of it probably is that his brother had to share minutes with other heralded players. I can’t remember but I think his brother was a bit bigger and stronger than him as well which made him an attractive NBA prospect.

Johnson made the right decision in the Missouri game. Christie is and was then the team's best shooter. This was known to the coaches after many weeks of practice. He was and is the guy best able to get his own shot. He got the looks, they didn't fall. But the decision to put the ball in his hands was correct.

Johnson made the right decision in the Missouri game. Christie is and was then the team's best shooter. This was known to the coaches after many weeks of practice. He was and is the guy best able to get his own shot. He got the looks, they didn't fall. But the decision to put the ball in his hands was correct.
It was a 2 point game at home, getting to overtime in that situation is desirable. Drawing up a play for Garcia (senior and best player) inside the arc probably would have been the best way to go. Having Christie create his own shot off the dribble in that situation was extremely low percentage, even though he can make that shot. Doesn't mean he should take it in that spot.

It was a 2 point game at home, getting to overtime in that situation is desirable. Drawing up a play for Garcia (senior and best player) inside the arc probably would have been the best way to go. Having Christie create his own shot off the dribble in that situation was extremely low percentage, even though he can make that shot. Doesn't mean he should take it in that spot.
Dawson would have been an understandable option too. I don't know what Ben was thinking exactly but I know I was thinking, don't try that. The guards had thrown the ball away several times down the floor so working it in to Garcia was risky right then. Also, Garcia takes several seconds to dribble and maneuver before he gets his shot.

The best option in Johnson's mind was to give it to the kid who could get the ball down the court himself and work for the shot. Everything worked well except the shot didn't fall. No guarantee Garcia would have scored either. But the biggest issue at that moment was not having Mitchell or Carrington turn it over trying to get Dawson his shot.

If Garcia comes back next season, this team could be freakish good next season before at least two head to the NBA.

It's like a chandelier of light bulbs turned on and growing brighter.

If Garcia comes back next season, this team could be freakish good next season before at least two head to the NBA.

It's like a chandelier of light bulbs turned on and growing brighter.

Freakish good is a bit high of expectations to put on them.

Also, Christie is only player with a chance to be in the NBA in two years

Freakish good is a bit high of expectations to put on them.

Also, Christie is only player with a chance to be in the NBA in two years

What about Payne after next season? Are you kidding me?

People are saying Garcia may go pro overseas. If he happened to be on a team next season that made a run, I don't know, could he slip in. I don't know.

People are saying Garcia may go pro overseas. If he happened to be on a team next season that made a run, I don't know, could he slip in. I don't know.

Payne going to the NBA? Are you nuts?? I love Payne as a college big10 center but he better enhance his skillset at hyper speed if you think hes off to the NBA by the 2025 draft

Garcia is what he is for 4 years now. Not as bad of a shooter as hes showing thisyear, but not a good enough shooter to offset the fact hes also not very good inside the arc either. Isnt gonna stretch a NBA D or take them off the dribble and no clue who hed guard. May get a cup of coffee but hes euro bound.

Payne going to the NBA? Are you nuts?? I love Payne as a college big10 center but he better enhance his skillset at hyper speed if you think hes off to the NBA by the 2025 draft

Garcia is what he is for 4 years now. Not as bad of a shooter as hes showing thisyear, but not a good enough shooter to offset the fact hes also not very good inside the arc either. Isnt gonna stretch a NBA D or take them off the dribble and no clue who hed guard. May get a cup of coffee but hes euro bound.

I'm on the record: 6' 9" Payne is NBA draftable by next season. Bank it, bet it, book it.

He's made tremendous improvement this season. Look at what he's doing.

17 points at Indiana (7-8 FG), 10 rebounds (a double-double), 5 blocks, a steal, FT 3-8 argh!

Against Michigan State his good playing isn't fully showing up in the stats but had 7 rebounds, 2-3 FG shooting, 4-8 FT!, planted a "W" in coach Izzo's guts by tearing off his head and spitting out a W.

He's getting better at what he does with the ball inside. That helps the outside game. It all connects together. Sometimes it doesn't show up in the stats except for a W and lots of players doing well.

Against Northwestern, 14 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks. He's a sophomore making strides.

1707582478456.png

Payne doesn't have much of an NBA future. If a guy like Kofi Cockburn can't get drafted and has to play overseas, I don't really see a role for Payne in the NBA. Cockburn avg 21 and 10 the year before he left and still didn't get a look. I'd view Paybe and a Kofi lite.

I'm on the record: 6' 9" Payne is NBA draftable by next season. Bank it, bet it, book it.

He's made tremendous improvement this season. Look at what he's doing.

17 points at Indiana (7-8 FG), 10 rebounds (a double-double), 5 blocks, a steal, FT 3-8 argh!

Against Michigan State his good playing isn't fully showing up in the stats but had 7 rebounds, 2-3 FG shooting, 4-8 FT!, planted a "W" in coach Izzo's guts by tearing off his head and spitting out a W.

He's getting better at what he does with the ball inside. That helps the outside game. It all connects together. Sometimes it doesn't show up in the stats except for a W and lots of players doing well.

Against Northwestern, 14 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks. He's a sophomore making strides.

Dude, Zach Edey is 7'4 and right now 5 times the player Payne is and hes using all his college eligibility.

Payne is undersized for a NBA center. He cant shoot a lick at the line or anywhere on the floor and he has zero play making ability. He has zero shot to get drafted anytime soon with his current skill set.

You have to be able to shoot or have a diverse skill set plus some sort of mid range game(see Bam Adebayo)

Hes actually the perfect player for the gophs because assuming he doesnt chase a NIL bag hes basically a lock to be here for 4 years and can dominate college bigs. NBA??? Right now? Absurd.

OK, I'm not a veteran college basketball fan. So I'll take you at your word.

And the NBA today is 3-shooting crazy where post guys move around these days. Maybe his style of play is devalued.

I'm curious what others think. I'm up for the onslaught.

And the NBA today is 3-shooting crazy where post guys move around these days. Maybe his style of play is devalued.

Correct, its the way the game is played now days. Its not a insult of Payne as a player for us. Hes an excellent player to have on a team that wants to compte in the big 10 and could be bona fide first team big10 by his senior year.

But the NBA game mostly requires shooting. And if shooting isnt there, like I said you have to be like Bam where you can make shots aroudn the free throw line and play make. Bam is also way more atheltic.

Payne is getting better at being able to guard players further out but hes still not nearly as athletic. Hes very good defensively already but with less athletiscism, no shot at all and no passing or ball handling ability he just wont fit in the NBA.

Hes got to try and develop those skills. Like I said its a plus for us though, cuase hes gonna be a 4 year gopher

Max was one of the highest rated recruits in the country out of HS. The potential is what got him drafted in the 2nd round. Cam wasn't as highly regarded. I think he'll have to do more in college to get the same chance in the NBA.

I would be very surprised if he left after one year.

Payne is a college low post player who’s not big enough to play there in the NBA. This is the show for Payne, right here right now.

I've haven't been paying a lot of attention to the NBA draft and undrafted players who enter the NBA in the past few years but I've watched reasonably closely over the last 20 + years.

It's not like every NBA forward or center these days is a capable 3 point shooter. Yes, far more are than used to be but that skill set doesn't appear much for a fair number of them.

A surprising number of players make the NBA at least on a short-term basis and many of them are undrafted but make a roster for a period of time as free agents. The NBA has its own version of lower cost scrubs.

Can Payne make it there? It's possible. I could see him as a Lavoy Allen type or potentially a Paul Reed caliber player. I think improving his free throw shooting would be more important that developing a reliable 3 point shot.

Top Bottom