Cam Christie’s development and impact

With Christie the team now is even "tantalizing" in how good they could be. Inside to outside. Still early.

Love that Coach allowed Cam to work through his mistakes from earlier in season and didn’t let the freshman lose confidence or doubt himself.

Go Gophers!!
What I noticed was late arriving crowd. There was no one is the lower level early on.

Cam has a chance to be really really good. He has had some ups and downs this year (very common for young players) but you can see the talent and the game doesn't look like it is moving too fast for him.

He also is not afraid to take the big shot, and you need that from your stars. When he gets a little bit stronger and more experienced he is going to be a top player at the college level. Hopefully he sticks around at Minnesota for his entire college career and we get a front row seat for his development into a potential superstar.

Needs to expand his range by an inch to cut down on official reviews during the games and keep them to 2 hours. About the only complaint I have for the Freshman.

Last edited:

I remember when Cam signed, there were posters who were hoping he'd be as good as his brother.

So far, Cam's been the better college player by a wide margin.

Per 40 comparison
Cam: 15.7 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 1.4 TO - 44% field; 39% from 3; 3.3 BPM
Max: 12.0 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.9 TOs - 43% field, 32% from 3, 1.9 BPM (in more games).

Cam's been a much better shooter, much better with the ball in his hand and he's done it all while while taking on a lot of responsibility.

Love his game. He's been even better than I thought he would be and I had pretty high expectations for him. The best part is, that he's likely a 4 year player. Has a lot of room for growth too. If he can become more of a playmaker, the sky is the limit.

Cam has a chance to be really really good. He has had some ups and downs this year (very common for young players) but you can see the talent and the game doesn't look like it is moving too fast for him.

He also is not afraid to take the big shot, and you need that from your stars. When he gets a little bit stronger and more experienced he is going to be a top player at the college level. Hopefully he sticks around at Minnesota for his entire college career and we get a front row seat for his development into a potential superstar.
Hedging on CC staying am Mn. Why wouldn't he, culture and...... cbj.

Needs to expand his range by an inch to cut down on official reviews during the games and keep them to 2 hours. About the only complaint I have for the Freshman.
He just needs to get a little stronger to add that extra couple of inches to his shot which will enable him to turn those long 2s into 3s. :)

He is playing really well for a true freshman. Always great to have that player who wants to shoot and have the ball in those key situations.

He just needs to get a little stronger to add that extra couple of inches to his shot which will enable him to turn those long 2s into 3s. :)

He is playing really well for a true freshman. Always great to have that player who wants to shoot and have the ball in those key situations.
And can actually make the shot. Lots of guys want the ball but can’t make the shot.

With Christie the team now is even "tantalizing" in how good they could be. Inside to outside. Still early.
Next year I hope the offense is designed to get Christie 8-12 open threes a game. That’s money in the bank.

Also worth noting his rebound numbers are way up in conference games.

He’s shooting some long twos because he often needs a dribble to get open. When ball movement is designed to get him the open three they will all be safely behind the line.

Next year I hope the offense is designed to get Christie 8-12 open threes a game. That’s money in the bank.
I think CBJ's style, while volitile when shots aren't dropping, is going to be enticing to players like Cam.

Why do you think he came here in the first place?
It’s worth noting that Christie didn’t give a top 5 or top 3 or have some announcement ceremony where we were all biting our nails to see if we’d get him or not. The staff seemingly recruited him harder than anyone else did and he spontaneously announced his commitment here one day.

What style is that? Can you break it down a bit for us?
In technical terms...no. To my untrained eye it looks a little more NBA style than traditional college offense? More isolation and dribble drive. I think he really values the three and wants guys with good length who can shoot.

Being a new coach I'm sure it's always evolving. I'm not saying it's good or bad. Still too inconsistent, imo. But to me it's the recent defense and other intangibles that are most promising.

Hedging on CC staying am Mn. Why wouldn't he, culture and...... cbj.
He’s from Arlington Hts, where the median family income is $125k. His mom graduated from NW and IIRC has a prominent job in healthcare.

Additionally, not everyone has money as their primary motivation.

Cam has been good this year. (Just don’t like when he is the one to inbound the ball in tight situations right now.)

Cam has been good this year. (Just don’t like when he is the one to inbound the ball in tight situations right now.)
In tight situations I would rather have him be one of three to get the inbounds pass and get fouled (Garcia and Hawk being the other two). Much rather see him shoot free throws than pass it in.

He’s from Arlington Hts, where the median family income is $125k. His mom graduated from NW and IIRC has a prominent job in healthcare.

Additionally, not everyone has money as their primary motivation.

Nice town. Briefly lived right next door in Palatine. For upscale, though, the next town west on the Northwest railroad line, Barrington, dwarfs both of them.

Top Bottom