Caleb Williams in the portal.

Take him no questions asked, when you've got two or three guys that can light it up he would be that much better paired up with them. He's also got decent athleticism and size.
His offensive stats are very good. How does he play defensively?

I'm not qualified to know if Williams could be "that" guy, but assuming the meat of our roster returns, one thing it could use is a stone-cold sniper. Can you imagine adding a Blake Hoffarber-type player to this roster? Never have enough shooters, especially when you'd have a couple bigs like Garcia & Payne who could use the additional room to operate.

I would be more than happy to add another shooter to stretch the D for Payne and Co! Although friendly reminder from the broadcast while playing them, he grew up in WI rooting AGAINST the Gophers. So be mentally prepared if you have to root against him next season.

I'm not qualified to know if Williams could be "that" guy, but assuming the meat of our roster returns, one thing it could use is a stone-cold sniper. Can you imagine adding a Blake Hoffarber-type player to this roster? Never have enough shooters, especially when you'd have a couple bigs like Garcia & Payne who could use the additional room to operate.
Can he be just one of the guys and not the guy? One would think he might understand that jumping from d3 to d1 but who knows?

Can he be just one of the guys and not the guy? One would think he might understand that jumping from d3 to d1 but who knows?

There is a fairly recent historical precedent for a guy transferring from a prestigious DIII liberal arts college to the Big Ten: Duncan Robinson who jumped from Williams College to Michigan. He thrived there and actually made it to the NBA where he is still playing today.

I doubt this guy could be a 20 minute per game player (and there really isn't room for him to do that anyway) but I could see someone like him being inserted into a game for 5 minutes at a time for the purpose of shooting threes or taking free throws.

If he wants to be THE GUY going to a high major probably would not be his best choice.

Last edited:

Per Shooter:

— Among nearly a dozen schools that Caleb Williams, the Macalester College basketball star who scored 41 points against the Gophers in an exhibition game last fall, reportedly has heard from is Arkansas, coached by Eric Musselman. The 6-2 Williams, who as a would-be grad student is currently eligible to enter the transfer portal, has one year of eligibility remaining.

Go Gophers!!

Williams will be an interesting case study to follow.

He is a high volume shooter who is 34% from 3pt range this season. Good, but not exactly a "sniper." He has made 40 TOTAL shots from 3pt range this season. By comparison, Mike Mitchell is shooting 40% from 3pt range and has made 55 shots from 3pt, Cam Christie is shooting 42% from 3pt range and has made 53 shots from 3pt, Elijah Hawkins is shooting 37% from 3pt range and has made 35 shots from 3pt this season.

Williams has made 136 shots from 2pt range (272 pts). So, he actually gets more than half of his points from 2pt range. He is 6-foot-2. Can that translate to a high major level?

Williams has been a scorer, averaging 20 points per game on the year. He had 51 points in one game, but had a couple of single digit scoring games and a few in the low double digits (13 or less). He averages 4.3 pt/game from FT line, 15.7 pt/game from field.

272 pts from 2pt
120 pts from 3pt
108 pts from FT line

Macalester was tabbed as a preseason MIAC contender but finished 10-15 overall and 6-14 in the MIAC. I don't follow enough to know if they had injuries or anything else that impacted them.

It'll be interesting to see how high major teams view him.

Last edited:

I don't think he goes to St. Thomas if they aren't tournament elgibile. Maybe South Dakota State? We should take him here though as a 6th-7th man
Summit League or maybe Colorado State seem to make the most sense as a 6th-7th man. Mind you, I really like the kid in my brief interactions with him and hope he achieves whatever he wants, but this seems the most realistic.

Last edited:

Per Shooter:

— Among nearly a dozen schools that Caleb Williams, the Macalester College basketball star who scored 41 points against the Gophers in an exhibition game last fall, reportedly has heard from is Arkansas, coached by Eric Musselman. The 6-2 Williams, who as a would-be grad student is currently eligible to enter the transfer portal, has one year of eligibility remaining.

Go Gophers!!
Muss sees it. He'll do well at any level.

I wonder if BJ Omot will enter the portal. Former Mankato East standout, leading North Dakota at 17.2 PPG.

Williams will be an interesting case study to follow.

He is a high volume shooter who is 34% from 3pt range this season. Good, but not exactly a "sniper." He has made 40 TOTAL shots from 3pt range this season. By comparison, Mike Mitchell is shooting 40% from 3pt range and has made 55 shots from 3pt, Cam Christie is shooting 42% from 3pt range and has made 53 shots from 3pt, Elijah Hawkins is shooting 37% from 3pt range and has made 35 shots from 3pt this season.

Williams has made 136 shots from 2pt range (272 pts). So, he actually gets more than half of his points from 2pt range. He is 6-foot-2. Can that translate to a high major level?

Williams has been a scorer, averaging 20 points per game on the year. He had 51 points in one game, but had a couple of single digit scoring games and a few in the low double digits (13 or less). He averages 4.3 pt/game from FT line, 15.7 pt/game from field.

272 pts from 2pt
120 pts from 3pt
108 pts from FT line

Macalester was tabbed as a preseason MIAC contender but finished 10-15 overall and 6-14 in the MIAC. I don't follow enough to know if they had injuries or anything else that impacted them.

It'll be interesting to see how high major teams view him.
He got the focus of any defense he faced, going to the U he would be one of three or four scorers. Big difference.

Take him no questions asked, when you've got two or three guys that can light it up he would be that much better paired up with them. He's also got decent athleticism and size.
Looks like a D1 player to me

He got the focus of any defense he faced, going to the U he would be one of three or four scorers. Big difference.

I've literally only watched him once (at the Barn).

My post was just going through the stats and I found some of it interesting. He doesn't appear to be a dead-eye sniper from 3pt range, while being guarded by DIII talent. I wonder what his midrange and driving game will be like when he's guarded by physical, taller, more athletic Big Ten players. That's why I think that will make it an interesting case study, especially at his height.

I wouldn't predict success or failure because I don't know enough. But, I think it'll be interesting to follow his path.

Too many other guys in the portal to take a guy like this.

I'm passing.

Great D3 player though.

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and Lebron James were drafted out of High School to the NBA...and several others before them.

Top Bottom