Caleb Williams in the portal.

That is beyond stupid.
Players have multiple times gone from High School to the NBA in the same year.
aren't those two different things? wouldn't the presumption be the d3 player wasn't good enough to play at a higher level out of HS so has that player developed enough to play at the higher level

still remember danny ainge saying HS 17 year old lebron james was the 5th best bball player in the world.

That is beyond stupid.
Players have multiple times gone from High School to the NBA in the same year.
That is......a horrific comparison. Those guys were top heralded prospects for years before they were drafted. This guy isn't getting offered anywhere and while he is a great D3 player, the insinuation that he could do much at a P2 school immediately is a big stretch.

Every sport at every level is loaded with players who are over- and under-qualified for that level. Scouting is an inexact skill.
Yes 100%, but there are levels to this. He is certainly over-qualified for D3, but he'd be woefully under-qualified for P2. I think he could make the jump to a mid-major as a contributor, or D2 as a star.

If Abdoulaye Thiam, Danny Ogele, Charlie Daniels, Kris Keinys, Taurus Samuels, Jack Wilson, and some of the walk on's were worth scholarships over the last 3 years, then this kid is.
The bottom line is if we have an available scholarship (which I'm pretty sure we do) then use one on this kid. He is not replacing any departed starting player or any returning or possible returning players. I will tell you that if the kid scores 41 points against you in (any form of a "game") on your home court - you should realize that he can be a positive contributor to your program.

If not - then you must be like the guy that strikes out and comes back to the bench telling all his teammates that that pitcher sucks. Well, that makes him look pretty foolish doesn't it?

41 points - could literally translate to 5 pts. a game and that would be more of a contribution then many players that decide to take their talents elsewhere.

That is......a horrific comparison. Those guys were top heralded prospects for years before they were drafted. This guy isn't getting offered anywhere and while he is a great D3 player, the insinuation that he could do much at a P2 school immediately is a big stretch.

I'm not sure what a "P2" school means but he did score 41 points against a P6 school. And people have made the jump from D3 before. A notable one (Duncan Robinson) transferred from Williams College to Michigan and went to the NBA afterwards. He's still there. Another one, Augsburg's own Devean George, played 630 games in the NBA.

As much as I hate to say it, Gopher Weather Guy is right: Ben isn't going to recruit 13 Big Ten caliber players to the team (or even 12). Even if he wanted to, he can't afford them unless he was able to recruit some capable internationals.

Last edited:

Top Bottom