Caleb Williams commits to the Gophers

A lot easier to be a big fish in a small pond than to be playing against elite athletes every night. Hopefully he will give a some quality minutes off the bench.

A lot easier to be a big fish in a small pond than to be playing against elite athletes every night. Hopefully he will give a some quality minutes off the bench.
He is elite athlete proven by his track and field exploits

I think the reason he will be able to play at the next level (as a depth piece) is that he is a really good ball handler. That can really make up for a lack of athleticism or size. He can also shoot - that translates.
I don’t know anything anout this kid other than the game against us. However, if you look up his numbers from @Classof 66 in post #107, just comparing his vertical leap to NBA combine stats (from 2022 first result on google) he would come in 2nd to EJ Lidell.

Perhaps would should be saying his “handles And athleticism can make up for…”

Sounds like the kid could have went anywhere in the country. Hopefully he still doesn’t declare for the draft.

I would guess they would start Mitchell over Williams at PG. Hopefully we sign Patterson so he'll start and slide over Mitchell to SG. I'm pretty high on Williams- athletic, good shooter and ball handler, no reason he can't be our first guard off the bench giving 15+ a night

Haven't seen much of him, of course, but seems like a total gunner. Doesn't do a lot of passing, although some of that could be due to the system he played in and the fact that he was pretty successful looking for his own shot. Decent ball skills as has been mentioned.

Haven't seen much of him, of course, but seems like a total gunner. Doesn't do a lot of passing, although some of that could be due to the system he played in and the fact that he was pretty successful looking for his own shot. Decent ball skills as has been mentioned.
I would guess that he was a gunner because he was so far and away better than his team mates. In the interview he said something to the effect that he shot a high volume "which has its drawbacks". So he acknowledges that he probably took a lot of shots you wouldn't take on a more balanced team. I wouldn't be surprised if the kid is a 40% three point shooter if he is able to be selective in his shot taking. He took (and made) some crazy shots in our game with them.

You guys are delusional if you think Williams starts at point guard. There is no scenario he starts. He will be lucky to get 10-15 minutes per games.
Not sure why you say that. His skill set is not all that different than Hawkins and Willis the two PG's that have been successful under Johnson.

Thank you - Caleb is anything but average.

I remember these replies when we got Parker Fox, coming from a D2 school, and that sure turned out well. He went from hype guy, to good off the bench, to truly making an impact.

And to clarify, Caleb said he was contacted by 30 D1 schools - and even played it down, and basically said, schools have coaches dedicated to this, and everyone reaches out. He then narrowed it down to 4 or 5, and visited 2.

But man, there are a lot of haters in this thread.
There are many who still focus way more on where the player transferred from as opposed to whether or not the kid can play.

His real name is Dave Horseshit..
Oh my god you got me!!! I must have hurt your feelings in the other thread...im sorry how about I buy you a popsicle and we call a truce.

BTW ats was crapping on the OP not me. (unless I am reading wrong) Not that you let facts get in the way of your arguments as we have seen.

I have no issue with the pickup...just was saying if Caleb is more than a depth guy the team is in trouble imho. The "H" in that stands for humble just an FYI. ;)

edit: To repeat...I am not one of the people upset we signed Caleb...I support anyone that wants to be a Gopher. Some people are going way overboard getting upset over this.

Last edited:

I apologize.
I can't even remember why I decided against acting like an adult.
I will try to do better in the future in case I run into my parents in the after-life.
I know they expected better from me.

Top Bottom