Caleb Williams commits to the Gophers

Why don't you fly an F-4 up your ass?

Curious how the use him, but I think it can work for both the Gophers and Williams. Colorado State guard Joe Palmer transferred there from SON's and my alma mater tiny Augsburg College and played about 15 minutes a game and contributed. Is Williams the guy who gets us into the NCAA tourney. Probably not, but he's shown he can play and can help out.

Definitely don't pooh pooh him because of the D3 background. He's 6'2" with a great handle, can shoot lights out, is quick and defends. The guy can ball. Projected as our starting PG as of yesterday. His game will translate. He comes in more heralded than a guy we got from Western Nebraska Comm. College years ago...

Definitely don't pooh pooh him because of the D3 background. He's 6'2" with a great handle, can shoot lights out, is quick and defends. The guy can ball. Projected as our starting PG as of yesterday. His game will translate. He comes in more heralded than a guy we got from Western Nebraska Comm. College years ago...
😂

LOL! We won't have to fix William's transcript, but in every other way that other guy- Bobby Jackson was a Juco all American and a pretty highly sought player at the time and there is no comparison who was more heralded. That said, I like Williams!

LOL! We won't have to fix William's transcript, but in every other way that other guy- Bobby Jackson was a Juco all American and a pretty highly sought player at the time and there is no comparison who was more heralded. That said, I like Williams!
If Ben is Clem, there's no reason Williams can't be Bobby Jackson...

It would be interesting to see what some of the more negative posters are like when they step out from behind the keyboard.....are they aholes in real life as well or do they only act like that on message boards? :)
It's just utterly fucking exhausting. My ignore list is long and deep, but some of these were once and still could be relevant posters. They just can't get over themselves.

Awesome Nadine interview. I did not realize that he was was Wisconsin State Champion triple jumper or that he was Track and Field all-conference three years as jumper at MacCalester.
Someone who saw some MacCalester basketball games (beyond the Williams Arena game) might comment on his hops. Plus 3.96 GPA in Math/Physics. Plus really solid demeanor and attitude. What's not to like?

Doing a little research, In high school had 34" vertical, had 21' 5" long jump, and 45' 11 1/2" Triple jump. Ran cross country in fall which if anything decreases explosiveness. He is not an average D3 athlete. He lived in town of 800 (Wild Rose) and played for a co-op basketball team incorporating a couple of small schools. Not a huge amount of exposure. Don't really know if he did much AAU ball.

Last edited:

I certainly wasn't implying that Caleb is the next Bobby Jackson. The point was that really good players can come from any level of play, from D1 transfers all the way down to JUCO level, a step above High School. Athletics and academic balances are individualistic, and one's basketball abilities aren't necessarily linear from JUCO up to D1. I'm really looking forward to seeing Caleb and this team next yr. Just need Patterson and a big to sign in the next few weeks to start summer practices on a stable footing. The "Big 10 (18)" is going to be very strong.

Awesome Nadine interview. I did not realize that he was was Wisconsin State Champion triple jumper or that he was Track and Field all-conference three years as jumper at MacCalester.
Someone who saw some MacCalester basketball games (beyond the Williams Arena game) might comment on his hops. Plus 3.96 GPA in Math/Physics. Plus really solid demeanor and attitude. What's not to like?

Doing a little research, In high school had 34" vertical, had 21' 5" long jump, and 45' 11 1/2" Triple jump. Ran cross country in fall which if anything decreases explosiveness. He is not an average D3 athlete. He lived in town of 800 (Wild Rose) and played for a co-op basketball team incorporating a couple of small schools. Not a huge amount of exposure. Don't really know if he did much AAU ball.

Thank you - Caleb is anything but average.

I remember these replies when we got Parker Fox, coming from a D2 school, and that sure turned out well. He went from hype guy, to good off the bench, to truly making an impact.

And to clarify, Caleb said he was contacted by 30 D1 schools - and even played it down, and basically said, schools have coaches dedicated to this, and everyone reaches out. He then narrowed it down to 4 or 5, and visited 2.

But man, there are a lot of haters in this thread.

Thank you - Caleb is anything but average.

I remember these replies when we got Parker Fox, coming from a D2 school, and that sure turned out well. He went from hype guy, to good off the bench, to truly making an impact.

And to clarify, Caleb said he was contacted by 30 D1 schools - and even played it down, and basically said, schools have coaches dedicated to this, and everyone reaches out. He then narrowed it down to 4 or 5, and visited 2.

But man, there are a lot of haters in this thread.
Not all, most are reasonable, but a proportion of vocal minority known as the "pitchfork crowd" lack emotional control. As a topic example, you have to believe the conversation between CBJ and Christie have been had, keeping his options open, while being cognizant of our salary cap and desires to bring in new players. Christie opting out could help the Gophers. In the Gopher bb war room, the chart of available portal transfers is up, constantly evaluated for who would be most likely to transfer and who would be the best fit for the team's performance and what $cost. Conversations are ongoing with potential transfers. A little faith in the system and judgement of staff would go a long way on this board. There is no messiah coach that single-handedly delivers an NCAA team every year, and has a clean program. CBJ is a good coach. Call me a provocateur.

Bobby wasn’t a flyer. He was highly recruited and Clem won the battle. Not exactly a D3 grad transfer.

I like the guy. I hope he does well.
Yeah, I really like the signing. I think it's fun and I think portions of his game will translate.

That said, lets not compare him to Bobby Jackson.

Williams has very good quickness, not sure Hawkins kept up with him in the matchup last year, part of the reason he scored 40 is my guess. Would be hard for him to match Hawkins productivity on offense but I think he will be an upgrade defensively. If he ends up starting at PG I don't see it as a huge area of concern.

Really?
Can you point out those similar replies from when Fox (multiple high D1 offers) committed?

It's to be seen wether he can shoot it against real B1G competition on a nightly basis... Not once in a scrimmage against a bottom feeding program

Edit to add.... As a depth signing.. it's a good one...

Williams has very good quickness, not sure Hawkins kept up with him in the matchup last year, part of the reason he scored 40 is my guess. Would be hard for him to match Hawkins productivity on offense but I think he will be an upgrade defensively. If he ends up starting at PG I don't see it as a huge area of concern.
I think the reason he will be able to play at the next level (as a depth piece) is that he is a really good ball handler. That can really make up for a lack of athleticism or size. He can also shoot - that translates.

Top Bottom