Brewster says Weber is U's No. 1 QB

No one who knows anything judges Brew/Weber on that season, which was essentially a Mulligan. Not other coaches, not the AD, not the President, not knowledgeable fans. Only people who's goal is to paint the coach, the QB and the team in bad light.

Why not point out that Weber is tough as nails, a great leader, 2nd team all Big10, led the team to back-to-back bowl games, 13 wins the past two years against one of the toughest schedules in college football, is the heart and soul of the team and did it all while adjusting to new coordinators?

I know why not, because you want to try and convince people that you know more than the coaching staff. Weber is the starter, now get behind your team.

+1, Go Adam Weber and Go Gophers!

I'm pretty sure Eric Decker played most of his career at MN under Brew and was developed under Brewster.

You forget that 'everbody knew' he was going to be great regardless of who the coach was. You know, like most 2 star recruits debating between St. John's and the U.

I follow the Gophers closer than 99% of the people here and I haven't heard one single player suggest Gray is a better option than Weber, have you? No, you haven't.

You might want to purchase hooked on phonics and learn to read because nobody said anything about players saying who they think a better option at QB is. I am saying I saw wide receivers walking off the field last year with their arms in the air in disgust shaking their heads when passes sailed 10 yards over their head or bounced into the turf and hit their shins.

Also when Adam Weber is listed in the history books when his career is done should their be an asterisk by his overall record because of the 1-11 season? or because of the coordinator turnover? I don't give a rats ass about the 1-11 season, it was not unexpected and it may have been good for recruiting, but the W-L record for Weber and Brewster does include that season, Weber is a senior QB with 14 total victories under his belt.

I follow the Gophers closer than 99% of the people here and I haven't heard one single player suggest Gray is a better option than Weber, have you? No, you haven't.

I only scored in the 96th percentile. What prep did you do to score that high? Did you take the Gopherhole Kaplan course?

lets get one thing straight, weber does not have 13 wins in the last three seasons, the minnesota golden gophers have 13 wins in the last three seasons.

a quarterback needs a good Oline to protect him, and a good running back to take the pressure off him and good receivers to catch catchable balls. weber has had only one of these pieces.

can anyone tell me that weber would not have looked better had he had all three of those pieces. i'm not saying all american running backs and linemen, just serviceable.

i actually have some hope that this new offensive coordinator is the guy who will facilitate our quarterback's development (as development falls squarely on the shoulders of coordinators and position coaches, not the head coach). he has preached doing a couple of thing very well, rather than doing a bunch of thing rather poorly, as seemed to be the goal of the last OC. if you look at the QBs he has coached in the past, he has a track record of making mediocre passer look good (sorgi, bollinger and stocco and made a rookie QB look pretty good in detroit). i choose to believe that horton and brewster feel that weber is farther along than gray, and i also think that another year under horton's development will do wonder for gray and alipate.

You might want to purchase hooked on phonics and learn to read because nobody said anything about players saying who they think a better option at QB is. I am saying I saw wide receivers walking off the field last year with their arms in the air in disgust shaking their heads when passes sailed 10 yards over their head or bounced into the turf and hit their shins.

Also when Adam Weber is listed in the history books when his career is done should their be an asterisk by his overall record because of the 1-11 season? or because of the coordinator turnover? I don't give a rats ass about the 1-11 season, it was not unexpected and it may have been good for recruiting, but the W-L record for Weber and Brewster does include that season, Weber is a senior QB with 14 total victories under his belt.

and??? this is a team sport, weber is a qb and he gets the glory as well as the negativity but to say the record is his fault is stupid. this isnt basketball where one player can change a program. if you are unable to create depth a team would never have continued success. i really believe we are closer and closer each year to having quality depth at each position. i dont care who the qb is and i want gray on the field like the next guy. brew knows he needs to start winning and win big, if gray was as talented as many believe he would be starting. this is brew's first shot of being a head coach and he is in the meat grinder of either being known as a blow-hard or actually knowing what he is doing. at this point he is setting his roster up for as much success as possible, and he and his staff believe weber is our best chance to win. i for one will be rooting for weber to have a great season, but i believe if things look rough early we may see gray and i hope he is ready to come in and play the way we all hope and think he can!

anyone have a picture of the "no way?, we've landed on the moon!" from dumb and dumber. That's exactly what I thought of when I read this.

because he can't develop offensive talent. And if you disagree with that show me one example that proves me wrong.

Eric Decker
Nick Tow-Arnett went from practically nothing to a pretty good Big 10 TE
McKnight has looked like a legitimate Big 10 WR.

Eric Decker
Nick Tow-Arnett went from practically nothing to a pretty good Big 10 TE
McKnight has looked like a legitimate Big 10 WR.

Decker is a great point, but look at his recruits, have 1 of the big time offensive recruits that he brought in lived up to the hype?

Decker is a great point, but look at his recruits, have 1 of the big time offensive recruits that he brought in lived up to the hype?

We will find out this year, won't we? We've seen shades of excellence from some of our younger defensive players, now it's time for the offensive players to shine. Remember, they're only going to be juniors.

Can't wait for the season? You will regret having said that by week 2.

We haven't even lost a game yet and some of you are ridiculously exhausting. I can't wait for the first meltdown.

and??? this is a team sport, weber is a qb and he gets the glory as well as the negativity but to say the record is his fault is stupid. this isnt basketball where one player can change a program. if you are unable to create depth a team would never have continued success. i really believe we are closer and closer each year to having quality depth at each position. i dont care who the qb is and i want gray on the field like the next guy. brew knows he needs to start winning and win big, if gray was as talented as many believe he would be starting. this is brew's first shot of being a head coach and he is in the meat grinder of either being known as a blow-hard or actually knowing what he is doing. at this point he is setting his roster up for as much success as possible, and he and his staff believe weber is our best chance to win. i for one will be rooting for weber to have a great season, but i believe if things look rough early we may see gray and i hope he is ready to come in and play the way we all hope and think he can!

Never said the record is entirely his fault. But if you look up his stats as a starting QB on any sports website you will see the W-L record of the team with Weber. Are you satisfied with the Gophers record over the last 3 years or would you like to aim a little higher?

And another season heads for the toilet. THIS is why the Gophers are losing fan support, recruits, and in general, all confidence. Adam Weber was putrid last year, and questionable years previous, since a decent freshman year. It was very obvious last year that he was killing the team, and if he doesn't make a complete turnaround, he will finish off Tim Brewster as coach by the end of the year.

And another season heads for the toilet. THIS is why the Gophers are losing fan support, recruits, and in general, all confidence. Adam Weber was putrid last year, and questionable years previous, since a decent freshman year. It was very obvious last year that he was killing the team, and if he doesn't make a complete turnaround, he will finish off Tim Brewster as coach by the end of the year.

There are a myriad of reasons that the Gophers do not have the fan support they enjoyed years ago, but making an announcement in spring that your homegrown 5th yr senior and captain is your starting qb is not one of them.

Good lord, we're still on this?
I really don't understand the intense hatred of Weber with some of you. Don't give me a line that he's a fine young man, good guy but a horses#*& QB either, for some in here Weber is literally a scapegoat for their Gopher frustrations, they have serious aversion to him.
It's like he literally has never completed a pass in 3 years and lost every game.
Give him no credit when things go well(it was all Decker, blind squirrel finds nut against MSU, etc) He gets all the blame when they don't(receivers were open!, O line wasn't THAT bad, he threw every pass into the ground)
IT'S A TEAM SPORT! THE GOPHERS HAVE WON AND LOST EVERY GAME AS A TEAM!
We have no idea what 2010 holds for our offense, we have no idea if Weber will even start every game.
What I think we can agree on is that our offense was pretty dang awful in 09, but we have a new coordinator and the responsibility of creating offense and putting up points has been passed to a new group of offensive players. Why not wait and see how they do?
For those of you dead set on ripping and cursing Weber's existence for whatever reason you have, take a step back and realize that he's not the single reason we didn't win the rose bowl three years running.

Good lord, we're still on this?
I really don't understand the intense hatred of Weber with some of you. Don't give me a line that he's a fine young man, good guy but a horses#*& QB either, for some in here Weber is literally a scapegoat for their Gopher frustrations, they have serious aversion to him.
It's like he literally has never completed a pass in 3 years and lost every game.
Give him no credit when things go well(it was all Decker, blind squirrel finds nut against MSU, etc) He gets all the blame when they don't(receivers were open!, O line wasn't THAT bad, he threw every pass into the ground)
IT'S A TEAM SPORT! THE GOPHERS HAVE WON AND LOST EVERY GAME AS A TEAM!
We have no idea what 2010 holds for our offense, we have no idea if Weber will even start every game.
What I think we can agree on is that our offense was pretty dang awful in 09, but we have a new coordinator and the responsibility of creating offense and putting up points has been passed to a new group of offensive players. Why not wait and see how they do?
For those of you dead set on ripping and cursing Weber's existence for whatever reason you have, take a step back and realize that he's not the single reason we didn't win the rose bowl three years running.

Yes, that's all well and good. No one literally thinks that Weber is solely responsible for the offense's lackluster performance the past 3 years.

But just answer me two questions:

1) Why do the great majority of teams (Gophers included) do their best to lock up a premier QB before moving on to other needs in recruiting?

2) Why are the highest-paid players in football all QBs?

The answer to both questions is the reasoning behind the huge anti-Weber movement in Gopher nation - the QB is disproportionately responsible for the success and failure of all football teams that don't run some variation of the triple option. You're setting up a false dichotomy by trying to suggest that Weber is no more or less responsible for victory than the nickel CB, when we all know that that just isn't true.

Yes, that's all well and good. No one literally thinks that Weber is solely responsible for the offense's lackluster performance the past 3 years.

But just answer me two questions:

1) Why do the great majority of teams (Gophers included) do their best to lock up a premier QB before moving on to other needs in recruiting?

2) Why are the highest-paid players in football all QBs?

The answer to both questions is the reasoning behind the huge anti-Weber movement in Gopher nation - the QB is disproportionately responsible for the success and failure of all football teams that don't run some variation of the triple option. You're setting up a false dichotomy by trying to suggest that Weber is no more or less responsible for victory than the nickel CB, when we all know that that just isn't true.

I'll continue to believe the QB is vastly over-rated in the college game. See exhibit A from the piglovers down south, they won a ton of games by playing defense and running the ball, and their QB is worse than Weber.(Que lurking hogeye troll commentators)
I'd agree with you if we were talking NFL, that is truly a QB driven league.
I'm not even saying Weber's any good, he's very average at best with flashes of great play and terrible play. I think the point of my post was mostly to confront a portion of our fanbase that can't see past Weber's struggles to a whole slew of deficiencies we've had during the last 3 years.
There seem to be fans who try to frame Weber is responsible for every bad thing that's happened to the program the last 40 years, they do literally think he alone is responsible for the Gophers losing, and then give him no credit when things go well.

...the QB is disproportionately responsible for the success and failure of all football teams that don't run some variation of the triple option. You're setting up a false dichotomy by trying to suggest that Weber is no more or less responsible for victory than the nickel CB, when we all know that that just isn't true.

Oh for *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#'s sake we couldn't run a simple hb dive for 1 1/2 yards on a consistent basis, you idiot. Play me this premier qb/NFL crap when we have a line that can block and a ground game that is worth a damn. Every team we played minus NW could've run a dime package for the entire game and stopped our ground game cold. I don't remember Bryan Cupito being disproportionately responsible for any of our losses when Maroney couldn't run worth a damn. I leave that up to, wait, what? Our offensive line? Running backs are the game changers, especially in college football.

Can't wait for the season? You will regret having said that by week 2.

I can't wait for the season to start either. If the arrival of the football season brings you nothing but impending dread, there are a myriad other things you could do this fall.

Running backs are the game changers, especially in college football.

Interesting.

In 2009, 23 of the top 25 QBs in passing efficiency (92%) played on bowl teams.

In 2009, 17 of the top 25 RBs in total yardage (68%) played on bowl teams.

A one-year anomaly, you say?

2008 pass 23/25 (92%) rush 20/25 (80%)
2007 pass 22/25 (88%) rush 19/25 (76%)

I'm certain that this pattern continues for several years preceding this, but I think everyone gets the point.

you idiot

Ha. I love it when people run their mouth and have no clue what they're talking about.

Maybe you should stick to posts where you wish injury on other team's players. Those seem to be your strong suit.

Its called perspective. We all want to see the team improve and start stacking up some quality seasons, but we are not just a QB away from being who we want to be.

Interesting.

In 2009, 23 of the top 25 QBs in passing efficiency (92%) played on bowl teams.

In 2009, 17 of the top 25 RBs in total yardage (68%) played on bowl teams.

A one-year anomaly, you say?

2008 pass 23/25 (92%) rush 20/25 (80%)
2007 pass 22/25 (88%) rush 19/25 (76%)

I'm certain that this pattern continues for several years preceding this, but I think everyone gets the point.

Out of all of those bowl teams/players, remove those who utilize a spread system for a majority of snaps, because we want an accurate comparison of how important quarterbacks are to a college team. You like comparing college to the NFL, and I need a reminder of how great Graham Harrell's career is going there. Also, others like to disqualify Weber's sophomore season because if the spread, so there's another reason.

In addition, show me how many of the top 25 YPC leaders on pro style teams in the FBS (with minimum, say, 150 rushes) played on a bowl team. Total yardage on the ground is nowhere near indicative of a team's overall success. Indiana could give their rb 50 carries a game and he could have led college football in rushing, but they still would have been terrible.

You can manipulate numbers all you want, but I can too. And please, do not take me out of context. We could not run the ball for our lives. This negatively affected Adam Weber's performance. He's being burned in effigy as a result of everyone else's problems on top of his own.

By the way, didn't your mother ever tell you that no one likes know it alls? I hope you fall and sprain your ankle :D

Hate to Say This, but It is What I Truly Believe

Adam Weber seems to be a good guy and good representative of Gopher football. That is no small thing with the way some of our student athletes handle themselves. But....

1) Adam is not a leader. Watch him on the sidelines with his teammates. There is no leadership going on there. Lots of good guy, but no leadership.

2) That patented spin move right into the defense is unfortunately Adam's signature move, and that tells you a great deal about how he handles pressure. He does it with NO pressure at times. It is almost comical. Almost.

3) Adam has not improved his accuracy and footwork to any significant degree in his years as the Gophers QB. That is a fact that just baffles me. The musical chairs of coaches and coordinators does not adequately explain that. A tipoff for me was an interview he did when he said "I haven't picked up a football all summer". I don't believe anything will markedly change this year with or without better protection. Adam is who Adam is.

Adam Weber seems to be a good guy and good representative of Gopher football. That is no small thing with the way some of our student athletes handle themselves. But....

1) Adam is not a leader. Watch him on the sidelines with his teammates. There is no leadership going on there. Lots of good guy, but no leadership.

2) That patented spin move right into the defense is unfortunately Adam's signature move, and that tells you a great deal about how he handles pressure. He does it with NO pressure at times. It is almost comical. Almost.

3) Adam has not improved his accuracy and footwork to any significant degree in his years as the Gophers QB. That is a fact that just baffles me. The musical chairs of coaches and coordinators does not adequately explain that. A tipoff for me was an interview he did when he said "I haven't picked up a football all summer". I don't believe anything will markedly change this year with or without better protection. Adam is who Adam is.

Calling MQG a leader is a complete joke. This makes you loose all credibility.

In most debates there are one or two statements made that ring of accuracy and that rise above the agenda-driven fray. The last one I saw on here was something like "Weber is who he is." That is a boiled-down version of what I've tried to say for the past couple of years. Stop having grand expectations for him. He is has never been, is not now and probably never will be better than average as a QB.

Another recent post contained a statement that went something like this: "He's average and that means flashes of brilliance and flashes of awful play." It's true and it's what comes with an average player at any position.

Now, if we stop creating false expectations for Weber, we're left with trying to decipher why he's still the QB. I'm saying that in the beginning it had to do with his potential and the way he and Decker clicked. Now, I'm saying that the coaches know who he is and he keeps the job because nobody else on this team has been good enough to take it away from him. At this point the coaches will play whomever gives the team the best chance of being competitive. If you don't believe that you will forever have a problem analyzing match-ups and breaking down games. In fact, you might want to go back a ways and think about what it meant when Brewster decided to put his QB back under center. If Gray appeared to be any kind of option for the then-near future that move made no sense at all. That means Gray did not appear to be a realistic option and that the coaches had enough doubt that they ignored the type of player he is when fashioning a revamped offense.

We have what we should have been able to see we would have as a QB, at least to start the season. The upside is, as I've stated before, if Weber plays well we will all be pleased and if he does not, then hopefully Gray or Alipate has made strides because they will likely receive their opportunity.

if adam has a running game he will be better. I don't think he is the next peyton manning by any means, but there is something wrong with the groups that hate weber and brewster...if gray and his 4 stars were obviously better then weber, brew would not risk his job for adam. gray is struggling behind the scenes and its scarey that many of you can't understand that. brew knows the pressure he has put on himself and something has him nervous as hell about gray...time will tell I will ride with any of our qb's but none of us know what's going on at practice, film, etc

Top Bottom