Brewster says Weber is U's No. 1 QB

Not Much Suspense

Even amateur readers of tea-leaves saw this one coming. I'm hoping AW has, and contributes in making the 2010 season, a great and final year.

I hope he's on a short leash.

Great decision. Can't wait for the season to start!

He is the Coach, but much of Adam's success was due to a fantastic reciever. I guy ran great routes, who never dropped a pass, took balls away from a double team, and showed tremendous courage. He is gone. What are we left with? Many say McKnight is the guy, but is he? I don't think so. He's good, but not that good.

And then there is the Offensive philosophy, for whatever that is worth. Anyone have anything from Coach Horton's speech? If I see what Horton wants to do, he wants a heavy dose of the the running game. Think Holtz, Alvarez. Not only to set tone, but to shorten the game. He wants to wear the defense down. And occassionly hit them with play action. A great play action game is based on consistent running game keys, handoffs, and wide reciever blocking. The play action calls for just another running game key, great ball faking, the appearance of the QB giving up on the play. Its what I call sucking them up and in. The timing is key. His finally second has to match either a tightend cross, a deep post, or possibly a fullback divide. The throw must be made as soon as the QB reveals the ball. He cannot stand there, because if he does the safeties will recover, the whole secondary will, and his only option if he waits is to run. I just don't think play action is Adam Weber's game.

If we cannot run the ball, and another year is based on 3 and 6 it will be yet another year down the drain.

Boy this news has got me all fired up for the season...
kool-aid.jpg

I support the fact that the Head Coach has the best view of his players and therefore can make the most educated decision. Of course, I also support the fact that the Athletic Director can remove said coach after/during what looks to be a dismal season.

Being at the spring game and watching Weber - Gray - Alipate there was never a question as to who the #1 QB was going to be. No Question!

I can't believe we are still putting this guy at QB. If he gave us the chance to win, he would of done it last year. I was always a brewster guy, but it seems he's not consistant with his philosophy. How the hell did we recruit a guy(Gray) to play the spread and then a year later revert back to a running team. Makes no sense to me.

I can't believe we are still putting this guy at QB. If he gave us the chance to win, he would of done it last year. I was always a Brewster guy, but it seems he's not consistant with his philosophy. How the hell did we recruit a guy(Gray) to play the spread and then a year later revert back to a running team. Makes no sense to me.

Agree, I'm a Brewster guy too but I can't see why Weber started the 2nd half of last year and have no clue why he is starting this year. If Weber is starting the Big Ten opener then Brewster really is the idiot the media make him out to be and his ass deserves to be fired. Every other coach in the Big Ten is very happy to have Weber in the game too

Agree, I'm a Brewster guy too but I can't see why Weber started the 2nd half of last year and have no clue why he is starting this year. If Weber is starting the Big Ten opener then Brewster really is the idiot the media make him out to be and his ass deserves to be fired. Every other coach in the Big Ten is very happy to have Weber in the game too

:cry:

+1

I bet the Wisconsin coach is patting the back of Brewster as of right now.
" Great choice Tim, I can't wait to see Weber play again ".

I can see why Brewster is starting with Weber. What will cost him his job is if Weber plays like he did last year, and Brewster maintains his stubborness and continues to run him out there. If that is the case, I think it will be safe to say that 2010 will be the end of Weber's career as a Gopher, as well as Brew's.

If Weber plays well, then we'll win games and everyone is happy. If he doesn't, we have a losing season, and he is still the starting QB at the end of the year, then Brew should be finished and we'll have a new coach the following year.

Either way, it is a win-win because I'd love to see the Gophers win and Brew to succeed, but I cannot continue to support Brew if, again, Weber plays like last year and Brew continues to still keep running him out there. Time will tell!

I really love how some on here are crucifying Weber before he's even thrown one pass this season. Give the kid a shot, its coordinator #4 for him. If the spring game is an indicator, we would be worse off with Gray at the helm at this point anyways. Also, every time I think of Gray's amazing scrambling ability, I foresee some 250 lb linebacker destroying him and ending his season. We can't rely on athleticism at the quarterback position, we need pocket presence and poise. That comes with experience, and Weber has a lot more. Alipate is a better #2 in this system as well. Put Gray where he will be useful: at wideout.

I suppose it was inevitable, but I can't shake the feling that the Gophers just won't be able to run the ball in the Big Ten. This will mean going to Webber for a passing game, and I have no confidence in that. The coaches were so weird about not playing Gray last year (especially in the South Dakota State game) that they will likely stick with Webber no matter how bogged down the offense becomes. I hope I'm wrong and we get a lot of games like Michigan State last year - maybe we will. But Gray in "the pistol" might have been a better way to go. Pounding the rock works if you have the O-line and the backs to do it. But we don't.

It is possible that Weber could be starting the Big Ten opener.....because we won all our non-con games. You might say it's a stretch, but sports have interesting ways of playing out. Heck look at the Penguins/Canadiens game last night, or the Patriots/Giants Super Bowl.

What I see happening is this, USC comes to play. Maybe our offense is flat, and after one drive we pull Weber put in Gray. Gray turns all Vince Young like and USC loses again. Gray starts the rest of the season.

Or Alipate is the sleeper of the group, comes out of no where and destroys our opponents.

Either way, it's football season, it will be awesome.

I really love how some on here are crucifying Weber before he's even thrown one pass this season. Give the kid a shot, its coordinator #4 for him. If the spring game is an indicator, we would be worse off with Gray at the helm at this point anyways. Also, every time I think of Gray's amazing scrambling ability, I foresee some 250 lb linebacker destroying him and ending his season. We can't rely on athleticism at the quarterback position, we need pocket presence and poise(Weber? :clap:). That comes with experience, and Weber has a lot more. Alipate is a better #2 in this system as well. Put Gray where he will be useful: at wideout.

If change in coordinators is the reason for how poorly he played last year, then why should the expectation be that he is going to be better with yet another coordinator (as you said, his fourth)?

Like I said earlier, I hope he plays well because he is the key to the season, but if he doesn't then he shouldn't be in there.

You hit the nail on the head

I can see why Brewster is starting with Weber. What will cost him his job is if Weber plays like he did last year, and Brewster maintains his stubborness and continues to run him out there. If that is the case, I think it will be safe to say that 2010 will be the end of Weber's career as a Gopher, as well as Brew's.

From Brewster's perspective, its all about what gives him the best shot of still having a job after the clock reads 0:00 during the Iowa game. If you go with:

Weber - You kind of know what you're getting. Pretty much guaranteed mediocrity. Maybe some flashes of brilliance, but not too many gawdawful pick-6 mistakes

Gray - Wildcard. He could be electric, but based on last year there's still a bunch of deer-in-the-headlights mistakes waiting to come out that will cost us games.

Alipate - IF it comes to this Brewster's already freshening up his resume and working the old boy network to line up a NFL tight end assistant job for 2011.

If Brewster was secure that he'd be back next season he'd be starting Gray to get him the experience (and work those pick 6's out of his system). Brewster's not an idiot. He can look at the schedule same as you and me, and he sees a likely 5-7 win season. And that's with a best case QB situation. As others have noted, you can get by with mediocre QB play if you have a stud at RB. We don't.

Look at Wisconsin. Their QB's aren't the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning. But they have a monster OL, a beast at RB, and they're QB's usually don't make bonehead mistakes. Unless Bennett or Eskridge has raised their game 4 or 5 notches (not to mention our OL) we aren't going to have that luxury. So Brewster knows his fate is tied to how well his QB(s) play. He's electing to play it safe to start out the season. Can't blame him for that. And Weber is a senior, which deserves some consideration. Hopefully though, if Weber struggles like he did last year, Brewster won't be as stubborn about benching him. Otherwise I might have to revise my "Brewster's not an idiot" statement from the previous paragraph.

Brewster says Weber is U's No. 1 QB

So who do we look at for our new coach for 2011 and beyond? NFL assistant? BCS assistant? Hot "mid-major" coach? NFL/NCAA retread?

It'll be interesting to see which way the administration goes after the season, with both Brewster and (presumably) Maturi out the door.

Bolded pretty much sums it up. One thing TCF, I'm pretty sure this year is the end of Weber's career regardless of whether he wins or not. ;)

Since he's our coach this year, I'll wish him the best. But I thought he should have been fired after last year for exactly this reason.

Everyone knew that the offense was no good with weber. After we blew away the wisky game, it should have been Gray all the way. It's not because he necessarily gave us the best chance to win. It's because here we are looking forward to a fresh year with Gray having an extraordinarily limited amount of game-day experience, so we are more or less forced to go with weber.

You could forsee the outcome of Brewster's stubbornness in October last season. Lo and behold, here we are, paying for it now!

For those who think Weber is the answer,

Lets go to the stats. Last year he threw for 13 TD and 15 interceptions. His only game where he exceeded 55% completions was against MSU. 62%. His average completion yardage is less than 10 yards.

Disect it as you may if this is the choice, then Horton better find a way to run it 55 times a game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188157

husker~
I really don't think that most (if not anyone) really thinks Weber is the answer. But I suspect many are like me and think that Gray isn't ready either. Brewster is trying to keep his job and obviously feels that Weber is the right guy to help him do that. That doesn't mean he's right. IMO that means Weber should have a short leash. If he doesn't and he struggles then we get a new coach next season. That's basically what it boils down to.

I don't really blame anyone who thinks we should just go with Gray. But he's an unknown as well (other than that his athleticism is huge).

So what makes all you experts think that Gray is going to jump into the mix and succeed or be more productive than Weber? Sure the potential is there, but not a one of you see what the coaches see day in and day out.

So what makes all you experts think that Gray is going to jump into the mix and succeed or be more productive than Weber? Sure the potential is there, but not a one of you see what the coaches see day in and day out.

After the 2011 the same guys will be on here clamoring for Alipate. Its the love of the back-up QB thing.

Top Bottom