Brewster bans KFAN interviews for Players and Coaches

And I don't want to hear anything about Iowa City or Madison - as long as we continue to use them as our point of comparison we're aiming way too low.

So you want us to ignore the 2 schools where A) the local media does nothing but positive stories for the most part (contradicting your point) b/c they set the bar too low (what with their multiple B10 titles in recent years and multiple Jan 1 Bowl game appearances). Got it.

The problem is the Gophers need KFAN more then KFAN needs the Gophers (though that is changing). The radio stations involved with big time programs like USC or OS need them more then the teams need the stations.

why? what has kfan ever done for the gophers?

radio is a dying industry. let them think they have a say in the twin cities media market.

...Today's PR debacle from the Gopher football office seems to fit into this pasted rant just perfectly:

"If the Gopher program is going to sell themselves as a big time program (whether to donors, recruits, fans, or whoever) then we should set expectations accordingly. There's nothing wrong with having high expectations of the way things are handled. We can't just say we're big time, we have to act like it."

Would ANY bigtime program (think OSU, Penn State, Texas, USC, etc.) ever go down the path that the Gophers went down today with KFAN? No chance. Even if it was a simple miscommunication, it's a mistake the big-timers don't make. Instead those programs have someone on staff busting their butt to be included on the local sports radio stations - to be a part of any publicity rather than just play victim to it. And let's be honest - do you think the sports talk radio in the Detroit area, Happy Valley, Lincoln or Baton Rouge go easy on the local team? Again, no chance. (Maybe we can blame 'CCO for constantly giving the Gophers the knee-pad treatment.

And I don't want to hear anything about Iowa City or Madison - as long as we continue to use them as our point of comparison we're aiming way too low.

The good news is that this, like most things, shall pass. It sure did make for a good talker today though!

KFAN is awful. Just pitiful.

Having spent much time in other markets (Chicago, New York, Houston, etc) listening to their local sports talk radio, KFAN is a totally inferior product. Seriously people...just because KFAN claims to be the "Sports Leader" doesn't mean they are or they should be. Houston has something like 6 sports talk radio stations, all with programs that kick the Reusse out of KFAN. It's not like Houston has 6 times the population. It's about competition. This market needs a viable rival. Otherwise you'll get the same crappy programming. Turn the dial to something else and send the message that way. I spend roughly 30 minutes a year listening to KFAN and all it does is reaffirm my position that KFAN a horrific mess. I listen to national sports talk radio on XM instead and get my local sports info via the internet. PA & Dubay were tolerable back in the day. That's the nicest thing I can say about the station. Morris = train wreck. PA by himself = afterbirth. Common = ear vomit. Burrito = debby downer and Buzz Killington's bastard child.

My point...understand that KFAN sucks and then form your opinion on this incident based on that info. The best thing that could happen to this market is for KFAN to fold because of financial troubles. Fire everyone and let others try again with sports talk radio in this market.

I put Clyde's remarks in here also to make a point in agreeing with you. What I have posted several times here today is what you are saying. How can it be a debacle if the station you are "banning" is so vastly inferior and unlistened to? I think this whole situation is funny.

Banning the Gophers from KFAN is the equivalent of boycotting your neighborhood kool-aid stand because they aren't unionized. The only one that notices is you (and maybe the kool-aid seller).

The big football programs wouldn't even call these buffoons back.

This is a pi$$-ant station that only gets defended here by the couple of people who listen. Minor league radio with minor league listeners.

So what...the fan has it out for the gophers....eff them. For reasons that make no sense to me, the radio rubes hate the gopher programs. I watch the Gophs or I listen to them....I'm a believer; I think we will turn that corner and begin a new SUCCESSFUL history.

The problem is the Gophers need KFAN more then KFAN needs the Gophers (though that is changing). The radio stations involved with big time programs like USC or OS need them more then the teams need the stations.

Just so wrong on so many levels. The Gophers don't need KFAN at all. Maybe if the were a real, major player, they would see the Gophers as help to their pathetic 2.6 share and 14th-18th ranking among stations in the TC.

It would be much more to get a KQ on board than 10 KFANs. They got the Twins fans hyped up more in the '87 World Series than any sports station could.

So you want us to ignore the 2 schools where A) the local media does nothing but positive stories for the most part (contradicting your point) b/c they set the bar too low (what with their multiple B10 titles in recent years and multiple Jan 1 Bowl game appearances). Got it.

That's my point - if a January 1 bowl game is the pinnacle of success, we're aiming too low. Let's use Iowa as an example - they tied for the Big Ten title in 2002 and tied again in 2004. Their last previous Big Ten title was 1990. Would anyone outside the Big Ten Conference even know that? I understand our need to find "small victories" but if we view Iowa or Wisconsin as the model of ultimate perfection in a football program, then I don't know what to say to that. As long as everyone continues to act like we can't ever be an OSU or a Texas, well, then we can't.

I think you and I are somewhat on the same page here GoAUpher - you seem to have realistically high expectations of the program. Let's shoot for the best and be happy when we're just damn good!

I think you and I are somewhat on the same page here GoAUpher - you seem to have realistically high expectations of the program. Let's shoot for the best and be happy when we're just damn good!

I think Iowa/Wisky are good models for success that shouldn't be discounted just b/c we want to do better. But in the end you're right, we do agree on setting goals high rather than settling for pretty good. :) And I would prefer to see the program get to a higher level than Wisky/Iowa, if only because it means they are finishing below us on a consistent basis.

YHO DOOGIE

Does very well with 18-54 males. And that amounts to 2.2 share? If they all are males you have 77,000 listeners. There are what 4 million in the cities, half are male, most fall in the 18-54 demo so roughly 1.5 million don't listen. Now, that's doing well.
You are a company man, but come on the facts you hand out are sales points, not facts.

husker 70 -- I am far from a company man, considering that I was let go from there...based on your logic no media entity in town is doing well then.

KFAVRE just needs to go away, check that, the current personalities on KFAVRE need to go away, I like the thought of a sports talk radio station.

I only listened to Hartman because Doogie was on

He was the only one that was ever Pro-Gopher when Hartman and Barrierro were on and he would offer a different opinion. Hartman seems like he was alway's so anti-Gopher because his dad was such an over the top homer all these years and a media hog. How would you like to live in that shadow, whether it opens doors I bet it equally closes them. Barriero is actually a decent listen when he is talking off-topic or not sport's related topics, when he goes on his Gopher rants I tune him out but that's because I am a Gopher rube. This station actually has some decent programming if you listen on a more regular basis, it's not as bad as it's being painted out to be. This whole deal about the ban seems like it was much to do about nothing.

husker 70 -- I am far from a company man, considering that I was let go from there...based on your logic no media entity in town is doing well then.

Doogie, I know you dislike Brewster, but when you are 17th (PPR August Ratings) in this size market and a sports station with piss poor performance in the key demographic, you cannot be considered a major player.

minngg -- When have I ever said I "dislike" Brewster?...He's been fine to me...I don't always agree with him...Example: The tweet about Reusse was over the line. Example No. 2: Screaming at marketing folks his first year for not selling the Dome out...
Read my Strib blogs...I've showered him and his staff with praise numerous times....also have tried to be a realist too, so will criticize if/when it's justified.

PA's side of the story tomorrow?

I wonder if he even placed the call to the U or if it was some program director or even an intern that relayed the info back to him in which he blew it up, he should be gone from the station and not just over this but his total lack of radio talent, go work strictly for the vikes and/or canterbury.

Miscommunication..er um..just like when someone supposedly hacked his twitter, ha ok.

That's my point - if a January 1 bowl game is the pinnacle of success, we're aiming too low. Let's use Iowa as an example - they tied for the Big Ten title in 2002 and tied again in 2004. Their last previous Big Ten title was 1990. Would anyone outside the Big Ten Conference even know that? I understand our need to find "small victories" but if we view Iowa or Wisconsin as the model of ultimate perfection in a football program, then I don't know what to say to that. As long as everyone continues to act like we can't ever be an OSU or a Texas, well, then we can't.

I think you sell Iowa and Wisconsin short. Let's say for example, we use the past 30 years at Iowa as a benchmark. In that time, Iowa has won five Big Ten titles (only OSU and Mich have more), been a national title contender twice ('85 and '02), been to nine January bowl games, including three Rose Bowls and an Orange Bowl, and finished ranked in the Top Ten five times.

I mean let's face it, in that same time (1979-2009) the best we could do is ONE third place finish and two fourth place finishes. In other words, Iowa has been a player in the national title chase twice as many times (2) as we've finished in the top three in the Big Ten (1) over the past 30 years.

I have to admit that if you offered me the chance for the Gophers from 2009-2039 to win five Big Ten titles, finish Top Ten in the nation five times, go to nine January bowl games (including three Rose Bowls and an Orange Bowl), and be a player in the national title chase twice, I think I'd take it...and fast!

Am I aiming too low?

I think KFAN is just being relegated to scraps, just like they deserve.

whether or not the Gophers beat Cal on saturday is going to have nothing to do with whether or not Brewster allows his coaches and players to be interviewed on the station. If the Gophers go 9-3 and go to a Jan 1 bowl, or whether they finish 4-8 this year is not gonna be determined by KFAN. We will have 50,000+ at every home game this year regardless. Wins and losses are they only thing that will ultimately decide how the Gophers are percieved in this town, not some boring radio station.

minngg -- When have I ever said I "dislike" Brewster?...He's been fine to me...I don't always agree with him...Example: The tweet about Reusse was over the line. Example No. 2: Screaming at marketing folks his first year for not selling the Dome out...
Read my Strib blogs...I've showered him and his staff with praise numerous times....also have tried to be a realist too, so will criticize if/when it's justified.

I apologize. I just knew over at Gi some things you said weren't taken well. Sorry.

However, my point on KFAN is true. If they were a true sports station, I might be more concerned or if they had higher ratings, but they are getting beat up in the 25-50 demographic by WCCO for goodness sake. Also, in the latest PPR ratings, they were 17th and just slightly higher in the key demographic. Without the Vikings, they are in real trouble.

I apologize. I just knew over at Gi some things you said weren't taken well. Sorry.

However, my point on KFAN is true. If they were a true sports station, I might be more concerned or if they had higher ratings, but they are getting beat up in the 25-50 demographic by WCCO for goodness sake. Also, in the latest PPR ratings, they were 17th and just slightly higher in the key demographic. Without the Vikings, they are in real trouble.

duly noted...the GI stuff was more an internal issue that I, in part, took too far...and the issue with the Gophers was way more so with someone else, not Brewster...in fact Brewster and I swapped emails over the summer and the air was cleared.

Top Bottom