Brew gets his extension- 2 years

This is just an outright fallacy. Wacker left Mason loads of talent with which he underachieved.

In 1999 (Mason's third year) he fielded 14 players who would go on to play in the NFL. Nine of these were Wacker recruits. Seriously. Fourteen!!! Do you grasp the magnitude of that?!? Do you understand how difficult it is to go 8-4 with 14 future NFL players?!?!?

Brewster just finished his third year. Go ahead and compile the list of future NFL players left behind by Mason who played this year. I can think of one, and he was out for a good portion of the season.

What the hell are you talking about? We won the goddamn game, didn't we?

One of the dumbest statements ever written on this board.

Here's another huge misconception. He let go of 2 coaches, Dunbar who wouldn't be flexible in short yardage situations, and Meyer who's Oline was really really bad in 08.

He hired Withers who's defense kicked a$$ this year at NC, he hired Fisch, who obviously was qualified since he was hired away to the NFL after only a year by a staff who can basically have whoever they want. He hired Davis, who's resume is legit, and he hired Cosgrove who put together a solid defense this year. All of them are qualified they were sought after by other coaches/programs, all the firings have been justified. Would you have kept Dunbar and Meyer after 08?

Should it not fall on him then for making bad hires in the case of Dunbar and Meyer, or for hiring Fisch into a coordinator position and not a position coach into which he was hired by the NFL? I have heard repeatedly that Dunbar was fired because he was not flexible but is this a fact or a rumor, as I was not living in the state at the time? Apparently Brewster didn't due his due dilligence if this is the case.

Wow, talk about taking someone a little too literally. Lighten up Francis.

I think he's trying to express what I am also, and hopefully what most Gopher fans are.
Brewster's not perfect, he might not even be a good coach, but he's not terrible, and he might not even be bad. There are just too many frickin things to consider, you posted a list of some legit complaints and some stupid complaints. There have been moments since Brewster took over that have made me shiver with anger or frustration and there have been moments of elation at a great call or a fabulous effort. Anyone not impressed with the offensive coaches after the MSU game? Anyone not happy with the great road performance against NW? For every bad game there have good ones, that's what a 6-6 team is. Welcome to sports, why not get on board, and see where the ride takes us instead on screaming and crying over Reusse's feelings and the coach's windbreaker grass stains.

Again, what the hell are you talking about? This is not up for debate! It is proven fact! Did you even read the rest of my post? Or are you too blinded by your Brewster hatred to see the factual evidence?

Should it not fall on him then for making bad hires in the case of Dunbar and Meyer, or for hiring Fisch into a coordinator position and not a position coach into which he was hired by the NFL? I have heard repeatedly that Dunbar was fired because he was not flexible but is this a fact or a rumor, as I was not living in the state at the time? Apparently Brewster didn't due his due dilligence if this is the case.

He hired Dubar as a very established offensive coach, we can all attest to that. In 08 we could not adjust to save our lives(or Adam Weber's) too many sacks, too many bad plays, quick screens out the ying, sweep draws on 3rd and inches, it just made no sense not to line up under center for 5-7 plays a game and pick up 3 inches and a first down. Dunbar is a "spread purist" whatever that means, he refuses to change anything about his version of the spread.
As for the hirings originally, the Meyer one would be on him, the same way the 07 recruiting class is I suppose. Hired really really late in the game, I'm sure better candidates would have been available if Maturi would have hired in good time. Mistake was corrected, hopefully Davis can impress this year.

He hired Dubar as a very established offensive coach, we can all attest to that. In 08 we could not adjust to save our lives(or Adam Weber's) too many sacks, too many bad plays, quick screens out the ying, sweep draws on 3rd and inches, it just made no sense not to line up under center for 5-7 plays a game and pick up 3 inches and a first down. Dunbar is a "spread purist" whatever that means, he refuses to change anything about his version of the spread. As for the hirings originally, the Meyer one would be on him, the same way the 07 recruiting class is I suppose. Hired really really late in the game, I'm sure better candidates would have been available if Maturi would have hired in good time. Mistake was corrected, hopefully Davis can impress this year.

Is this just speculation or are there quotes and proof of this as I do not know but have heard this said a lot.

It is amazing to me how much people hate Brewster, and it seems they hate him as a person rather than as a coach. People seem to think Glen Mason was a good coach; a guy who is still waiting for the phone to ring with an offer. Brewster took over a very mediocre program and it is still very mediocre. Does Brewster deserve an extension? No, but who the heck said this is a real "extension"? This is ALL about recruiting. Maturi has determined that Brew should get one more year, and I tend to agree. So, the worst thing Maturi could do is nothing. If you think he deserves another year, then you extend him for recruiting purposes without increasing the buyout. This is college football 101 stuff. People don't understand how college football works, they think that this means we will have more of Brewster. That is not the case. If he doesn't show improvement next year, he will get fired, extension or not.

I can't believe it took a month after the bowl game to get this done.

It is amazing to me how much people hate Brewster, and it seems they hate him as a person rather than as a coach. People seem to think Glen Mason was a good coach; a guy who is still waiting for the phone to ring with an offer. Brewster took over a very mediocre program and it is still very mediocre. Does Brewster deserve an extension? No, but who the heck said this is a real "extension"? This is ALL about recruiting. Maturi has determined that Brew should get one more year, and I tend to agree. So, the worst thing Maturi could do is nothing. If you think he deserves another year, then you extend him for recruiting purposes without increasing the buyout. This is college football 101 stuff. People don't understand how college football works, they think that this means we will have more of Brewster. That is not the case. If he doesn't show improvement next year, he will get fired, extension or not.

I tend to feel the same way. The only thing that matters to me is the buyout clause. We could extend him for 20 years and I'd be okay with it as long as the buyout was very low. The fact that this is a two-year extension leads me to believe that the buyout is indeed pretty low. And I certainly wouldn't call a two-year extension a stunning vote of confidence from Maturi or Bruinincks. In other words, the U gave him this extension while basically saying "it's put up or shut up time."

Thanks for the lesson, but I think 99% of anyone on here knows exactly what the extension means. We know it's not a real extension, and he will be gone next year if he doesn't win 7 games and beat either Iowa or Wisconsin.

brother

I'm glad they extended him, but he's gone after next season. 6-6 is the best we can do with that schedule. We might not win a conference home game all year, maybe Northwestern. He needs to win at Camp Randall or beat Iowa at home to have a chance of keeping his job. I hope he can get it done but I just don't see it happening.
Do you forecast stocks?

Fortunately for Brew, he has five games next year, four of which are at home, where he can cover a lot of his past mistakes. If he beats even one of: USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa or Wisconsin (road), that will quiet a lot of the critics and cool off the hot seat. I am not confident that we will win any of them, but the chances will be there.

Is this just speculation or are there quotes and proof of this as I do not know but have heard this said a lot.

Speculation, pure rumor or speculation. "Scources" seem to be rather elusive and contradictory in College Football. Honestly, innuendo won't be reported about Brewster unless it could be spun negatively anyway. The best example is the ESPN report of Brewster interested in the Kansas job being reported by many outlooks. The part of the story about him being one of the finalists? Yeah, not so much.

For what it's worth regarding Dunbar the same reports were coming out of the Bay Area surrounding his relationship at Cal with Tedford.

Still waiting...

Again, please refute for me the fact that Mason fielded 9 Wacker recruits in 1999 who went on to play in the NFL.

Further, please give me the list of illustrious players that Mason left behind for Brewster, and who saw the field this last year.

Fortunately for Brew, he has five games next year, four of which are at home, where he can cover a lot of his past mistakes. If he beats even one of: USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa or Wisconsin (road), that will quiet a lot of the critics and cool off the hot seat. I am not confident that we will win any of them, but the chances will be there.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He has 5 games next year in which any one of them would easily be the biggest win of his tenure. One win and that really would quiet a lot of people, maybe even me, at least for a little while.

Fair enough. I have no problem with criticism of his coaching ability, but so many people attack him personally, and in the few interactions I have had with him, he is a class act. Before last season, I saw him at Famous Dave's eating with his family. He stood up, and I thought he was leaving, so I went to chat with him and he spent a good five minutes talking with me. (I didn't realize he was actually headed to the restroom.) At the end of his meal, he took the time to wave and say "take care" to me and I was at a table 20 feet away. In other words, he took the time to watch me after our conversation and ensure he knew where I was sitting, and then remembered to bid me goodbye twenty minutes later. That is a classy touch that will give me respect for him as a person.

Still waiting...

Again, please refute for me the fact that Mason fielded 9 Wacker recruits in 1999 who went on to play in the NFL.

Further, please give me the list of illustrious players that Mason left behind for Brewster, and who saw the field this last year.

cardboard_box_jarno_vasa_.jpg

Its not comin DPO...

Fortunately for Brew, he has five games next year, four of which are at home, where he can cover a lot of his past mistakes. If he beats even one of: USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa or Wisconsin (road), that will quiet a lot of the critics and cool off the hot seat.
What? If you believe that you are as delusional as you are willing to settle for crumbs instead of cherry pie.

Thanks for the lesson, but I think 99% of anyone on here knows exactly what the extension means. We know it's not a real extension, and he will be gone next year if he doesn't win 7 games and beat either Iowa or Wisconsin.

In the world of college football this is a real extension. Having buyouts is part of the deal because it adds a look of stability with having a less painful exit strategy. If Brew would have had a better record, the extension may have been for 4 years. But to say this isn't a real extension is putting a false and negative spin on positive news. With that said, this extension is exactly the correct length for the conditions. It's just too bad that it didn't happen 30 or 40 days ago.

He's IDENTIFIED several top backs, often when others hadn't started recruiting them hard.
Most have ended up going somewhere else. Lamicheal James was close to coming here, we all know what happened to Lipscomb last year. It's no coincidence we were on several highly ranked RB's this year including Huff, Williams, Grant, Coker, etc. Wright, Edwards and Kirkwood will hopefully fill the need, which I agree has been one of the main deficient positions during his run here along with O and Dline. Here's to Wright breaking out early and having 20 carry 100 yard games all year long.
My main point was that I could care less that he called a jacka$$ like reusse fat on twitter, or that he told sid the staff would be back. Those don't figure into his overall success as the coach of the university of MN.

Ummm not to nitpick but, I think the staff has done a decent job with identifying DL talent as well. The defense overall has played relatively well. If the offense could sustain drives the defense would look great.

What? If you believe that you are as delusional as you are willing to settle for crumbs instead of cherry pie.

You are without a doubt the most pathetic person on the internet today. I thought you'd died or something since we hadn't heard your bs for a while. Does it make you feel like big man to level anonymous insults to people? You are piece of sh!t.

You don't think Brewster's complete inability to correctly identify RB talent has anything to do with determining his success or failure???

He has identified RB talent. Whaley was talented but did not keep up his end of the deal and Hasan Lipscomb's arrival is just a little delayed but he is on the way.

You are without a doubt the most pathetic person on the internet today. I thought you'd died or something since we hadn't heard your bs for a while. Does it make you feel like big man to level anonymous insults to people? You are piece of sh!t.

Pretty funny stuff, Conway Twitty! lol Read what you wrote to yourself and see if you can grasp the irony. Oh, irony........nevermind, look it up. OBTW, who did I insult?

Again, what the hell are you talking about? This is not up for debate! It is proven fact! Did you even read the rest of my post? Or are you too blinded by your Brewster hatred to see the factual evidence?

I guess according to DMB123 those players never played in the NFL, you might want to call the league and tell them DMB123 disputes their roster records.

Wish it were longer, but otherwise I could not be more excited about this.

Dude, you are hilarious! Please don't stop.

Are Whaley and Lipscomb not talented? if you don't think so then I think it is you who has a hard time identifying talent. Brewster can't babysit and hold peoples hands through school. He identified them and got them here, the rest is up to them. And I am willing to put money down that Lipscomb will be a Gopher when all is said and done, he is a fine kid and bleeds maroon and gold.

Are Whaley and Lipscomb not talented? if you don't think so then I think it is you who has a hard time identifying talent. Brewster can't babysit and hold peoples hands through school. He identified them and got them here, the rest is up to them. And I am willing to put money down that Lipscomb will be a Gopher when all is said and done, he is a fine kid and bleeds maroon and gold.

Thanks for keeping them coming, Rollo!

Still waiting...

The cupboard was overflowing when the Grinster took over for the Wack. No reason at all for Mason not winning the BT that year. None.
Brewster did not have that luxury. No comparison.

But that matters not. Now is the time for Brewster to make progress and put a competitive team on the field than Mason left. That is what he was hired to do.

Some threads leave me thinking that it's great to be associated with such great gopher football minds. This is not one of them.

Top Bottom