Brew gets his extension- 2 years

read the comments below the article. Star Tribune posters are idiots

nope, just the people who think it is dumb to extend a coach who gives us a great opportunity to compete on a national level. The guy has only had 3 years to turn around the program and it takes more time than that.

I don't care if they extend him for 50 years......just so there is an easy buyout so we can get rid of him if he happens to win 3-4 games this next season.

read the comments below the article. Star Tribune posters are idiots

I don't know why I even bother to read them! Sometimes I forget and then it is too late.

Idiots is too nice of a description.

I guess we know where GopherRealist posts when he isn't here.

I'm glad they extended him, but he's gone after next season. 6-6 is the best we can do with that schedule. We might not win a conference home game all year, maybe Northwestern. He needs to win at Camp Randall or beat Iowa at home to have a chance of keeping his job. I hope he can get it done but I just don't see it happening.

If we perform at the same level, we will be right around 5-7 to 6-6 next year. If we step it up, who knows. PSU, tOSU, and USC are the only very, very tough wins, and they are all at home. USC has a new coach, and we face them early in the year. Who knows what next season will bring?

I'm glad they extended him, but he's gone after next season. 6-6 is the best we can do with that schedule. We might not win a conference home game all year, maybe Northwestern. He needs to win at Camp Randall or beat Iowa at home to have a chance of keeping his job. I hope he can get it done but I just don't see it happening.

Well then 6-6 keeps his job if that is the best we can do, any win over that is gravy. If we are in close games and we can see improvement in the program then I think he keeps his job. The only way I see him being fired is if we win 4 games or less

nope, just the people who think it is dumb to extend a coach who gives us a great opportunity to compete on a national level. The guy has only had 3 years to turn around the program and it takes more time than that.

6-18 Big Ten record, 0-6 vs Iowa and Wisconsin, a 1-11 season, 0-2 in bowl games, a loss to NDSU, a 3 point win over SDSU at home, laying on his stomach during a two point conversion, announcing that he'll make a killer hire and then hires Jedd Fisch, telling Sid Hartman that the entire staff will be back next year days before Jedd Fisch leaves, losing at home to Illinois this year, can't recruit a good running back, calling back to back timeouts vs SDSU, not being able to figure out SDSU's blitz package for an entire game, losing at home to Northern Illinois, 55-0, taking credit for Mack Brown's victory's, calling Reusse a fatass on Twitter, etc.

I think it's fine to extend him a couple of years like they did because three years isn't a very long time, but to call people who don't think he deserves the extension idiots shows how you don't accept any opinion other than Brewster is the greatest coach in the world. I understand that you have a picture of Brewster on your nightstand that you kiss before bed every night, but lighten up on the people who don't think Brewster is God. They have a lot more evidence to support their argument than you do, and it's not even close.

Well then 6-6 keeps his job if that is the best we can do, any win over that is gravy. If we are in close games and we can see improvement in the program then I think he keeps his job. The only way I see him being fired is if we win 4 games or less

You're delusional. Brew needs to win 7 regular season games next season or he's done.

Why 7? Why not 8 or even 9? Do you chumps actually believe the coach will stay or go depending strictly upon a preset number of wins or losses? Sheesh! No wonder we tolerate nonsense like this new "realist" guy. The rest of it on here isn't much better.

6-18 Big Ten record, 0-6 vs Iowa and Wisconsin, a 1-11 season, 0-2 in bowl games, a loss to NDSU, a 3 point win over SDSU at home, laying on his stomach during a two point conversion, announcing that he'll make a killer hire and then hires Jedd Fisch, telling Sid Hartman that the entire staff will be back next year days before Jedd Fisch leaves, losing at home to Illinois this year, can't recruit a good running back, calling back to back timeouts vs SDSU, not being able to figure out SDSU's blitz package for an entire game, losing at home to Northern Illinois, 55-0, taking credit for Mack Brown's victory's, calling Reusse a fatass on Twitter, etc.

I think it's fine to extend him a couple of years like they did because three years isn't a very long time, but to call people who don't think he deserves the extension idiots shows how you don't accept any opinion other than Brewster is the greatest coach in the world. I understand that you have a picture of Brewster on your nightstand that you kiss before bed every night, but lighten up on the people who don't think Brewster is God. They have a lot more evidence to support their argument than you do, and it's not even close.

+google.

The extension is the right move. But the ACTUAL DATA gives no indication that Brewster will succeed. He's on thin ice and rightfully so. It's in the best interest of the program to give him a chance to prove the evidence to date is not indicative of his coaching ability. That's the only reason he deserves an extension, end of story.

+google.

The extension is the right move. But the ACTUAL DATA gives no indication that Brewster will succeed. He's on thin ice and rightfully so. It's in the best interest of the program to give him a chance to prove the evidence to date is not indicative of his coaching ability. That's the only reason he deserves an extension, end of story.

I couldn't agree more.

Why 7? Why not 8 or even 9? Do you chumps actually believe the coach will stay or go depending strictly upon a preset number of wins or losses? Sheesh! No wonder we tolerate nonsense like this new "realist" guy. The rest of it on here isn't much better.

Is it too much to ask for a coach to go .500 in Big Ten play in year 4 of his tenure?

The only way I see him being fired is if we win 4 games or less

I'd love for you to be my boss if those are your expectations. LOL, you would seriously keep him if we go 5-7 and make it 12 straight scoreless quarters against Iowa?

Honestly do you keep this list on file or something?

Every thing you point out in this has a positive counter beside the record and rivalry losses. The record is vastly weighted for the 1-11 season in 07. I simply refuse to blame Brewster one bit for that season, this program was an absolute wreck when he took over.
The rivalry record sucks the big one, it hurts our Gopher pride, it burns at all of us since so many jacka$$ wisky and pigeoneye fans can't get jobs in their terrible states. We see them all the time they give us crap, we have little to return fire with.
The rivalry record is THE only thing I am critical of Brewster for, it needs to change this year, at 6-6 I can stomach a 5th year with a nice trophy game victory against either rival.

All of the other stuff you list is crap and just shows a personal bias against Brewster. Nothing else listed has ANY weight in determining his success or failure thus far.

Every thing you point out in this has a positive counter beside the record and rivalry losses. The record is vastly weighted for the 1-11 season in 07. I simply refuse to blame Brewster one bit for that season, this program was an absolute wreck when he took over.
The rivalry record sucks the big one, it hurts our Gopher pride, it burns at all of us since so many jacka$$ wisky and pigeoneye fans can't get jobs in their terrible states. We see them all the time they give us crap, we have little to return fire with.
The rivalry record is THE only thing I am critical of Brewster for, it needs to change this year, at 6-6 I can stomach a 5th year with a nice trophy game victory against either rival.

All of the other stuff you list is crap and just shows a personal bias against Brewster. Nothing else listed has ANY weight in determining his success or failure thus far.

You don't think Brewster's complete inability to correctly identify RB talent has anything to do with determining his success or failure???

I've never met anyone who thinks that Brewster is God. Neither have you. I've never met anyone who thought that Brewster was the greatest coach in the world. Neither have you. But go on with the standard litany of lies if you feel you must.

The people who post on newspaper's comment boards are, in general, idiots. That's not the same as saying that anyone who doesn't think that Brewster should be extended is an idiot.

Right off the top of my head. The scary thing is I left some out.

A wreck? He took over a 6-6 team that went to 6 straight bowls and 7 in 8 years. We weren't great but we weren't a wreck. Mason took over a wreck from Wacker.

You don't think getting outcoached by South Dakota State is an eye opener?

You don't think Brewster's complete inability to correctly identify RB talent has anything to do with determining his success or failure???

He's IDENTIFIED several top backs, often when others hadn't started recruiting them hard.
Most have ended up going somewhere else. Lamicheal James was close to coming here, we all know what happened to Lipscomb last year. It's no coincidence we were on several highly ranked RB's this year including Huff, Williams, Grant, Coker, etc. Wright, Edwards and Kirkwood will hopefully fill the need, which I agree has been one of the main deficient positions during his run here along with O and Dline. Here's to Wright breaking out early and having 20 carry 100 yard games all year long.
My main point was that I could care less that he called a jacka$$ like reusse fat on twitter, or that he told sid the staff would be back. Those don't figure into his overall success as the coach of the university of MN.

Right off the top of my head. The scary thing is I left some out.

A wreck? He took over a 6-6 team that went to 6 straight bowls and 7 in 8 years. We weren't great but we weren't a wreck. Mason took over a wreck from Wacker.

Good lord man.

Yes it was a wreck, period. Anyone who saw how slow and overmatched the team was in 07 can see how far we had fallen. The previous coach here(good lord are we back on this again?) had a very specific system in place that was not able to transition into any other. Small linemen, slow everything, no depth anywhere.

I had a 3 day hangover from the SDSU game, that game sucked, but we won, we move on, we let it go. I'll take a bad win. Iowa took a bad win twice this year.

He's IDENTIFIED several top backs, often when others hadn't started recruiting them hard.
Most have ended up going somewhere else. Lamicheal James was close to coming here, we all know what happened to Lipscomb last year. It's no coincidence we were on several highly ranked RB's this year including Huff, Williams, Grant, Coker, etc. Wright, Edwards and Kirkwood will hopefully fill the need, which I agree has been one of the main deficient positions during his run here along with O and Dline. Here's to Wright breaking out early and having 20 carry 100 yard games all year long.
My main point was that I could care less that he called a jacka$$ like reusse fat on twitter, or that he told sid the staff would be back. Those don't figure into his overall success as the coach of the university of MN.

His inability to keep a staff or hire a qualified staff sure does figure into his overall success however.

His inability to keep a staff or hire a qualified staff sure does figure into his overall success however.

Here's another huge misconception. He let go of 2 coaches, Dunbar who wouldn't be flexible in short yardage situations, and Meyer who's Oline was really really bad in 08.

He hired Withers who's defense kicked a$$ this year at NC, he hired Fisch, who obviously was qualified since he was hired away to the NFL after only a year by a staff who can basically have whoever they want. He hired Davis, who's resume is legit, and he hired Cosgrove who put together a solid defense this year. All of them are qualified they were sought after by other coaches/programs, all the firings have been justified. Would you have kept Dunbar and Meyer after 08?

This is just an outright fallacy. Wacker left Mason loads of talent with which he underachieved.

In 1999 (Mason's third year) he fielded 14 players who would go on to play in the NFL. Nine of these were Wacker recruits. Seriously. Fourteen!!! Do you grasp the magnitude of that?!? Do you understand how difficult it is to go 8-4 with 14 future NFL players?!?!?

Brewster just finished his third year. Go ahead and compile the list of future NFL players left behind by Mason who played this year. I can think of one, and he was out for a good portion of the season.

What the hell are you talking about? We won the goddamn game, didn't we?

I've never met anyone who thinks that Brewster is God. Neither have you. I've never met anyone who thought that Brewster was the greatest coach in the world. Neither have you. But go on with the standard litany of lies if you feel you must.

The people who post on newspaper's comment boards are, in general, idiots. That's not the same as saying that anyone who doesn't think that Brewster should be extended is an idiot.

Wow, talk about taking someone too literally. Lighten up Francis.

Top Bottom