BREAKING: Elijah Hawkins to transfer

We are here because of hubris and a lack of leadership in the NCAA. They could have nipped this in the bud a long time ago had they put some forethought and effort into the problem.

An unstable product is not sustainable. Volatility is generally bad business, and most do not tolerate it well or for long.

Dud you watch The Wite?

Of course it is. Administrations and boosters are seeing that this is a direct and fast way to change the arc of their program. Our administration will figure this out in 2026.
Far too much credit.

Luckily, PJ does a great job at keeping his core starters and fills in where needed from the portal.
For now. Give it another year and if some rules aren't put in place I don't think you'll be able to make the same statement

It’s become a workers’ paradise. Maybe there’s a lesson to be learned there.
I would reserve judgement until we find out how many of them really get paid, and how many of them gave up free educations to chase money that never materialized. Although, the legal tampering certainly reduces the financial risk of the players.

I have. They lost a couple starters though. Obviously the bench guys they lost wouldn't have played. But they just added Gillis, who's probably worse than the starters they lost.
Seriously, Carrington, not considered a starter, played 600 + minutes this season. That's 100+ more minutes than Fox or ola-joseph. So far, 2,700 player minutes need replacing from players transferring. That's 135 minutes per game out of 200 minutes per game. "Houston, we have a problem."

Maybe Coach P and PJ can teach Ben how to navigate the portal as a Minnesota coach. Or maybe players aren't dying to play for a historically poor coach who's seat is red hot.

Could be he heard certain opportunities for certain $$$ and is putting his name in portal to navigate. Could retract and come back still if not all the hype.

Maybe Coach P and PJ can teach Ben how to navigate the portal as a Minnesota coach. Or maybe players aren't dying to play for a historically poor coach who's seat is red hot.
Who cares if the coach is on the hot seat anymore. The deals are only one year.
Why give coaches extensions anymore? Who is the coach next year and how much can they pay me?

I would reserve judgement until we find out how many of them really get paid, and how many of them gave up free educations to chase money that never materialized. Although, the legal tampering certainly reduces the financial risk of the players.
Without $ No coach can win here

It will change though. I gave up my season tickets for next year, not because Ben is returning as coach but because I can't stand this new environment. In the past I would have been at every Big Ten tourney game if it was in Mpls. This year I went to one.

That money will quit flowing as it becomes AAA basketball. People have loved college because of the relationship with the players over time. Few people watch minor league baseball, the G-league, etc. because it is minor league, and the players come and go. And, they won't watch college basketball as it becomes minor league.
I said this earlier also, its watching a shitty version of pro sports.

I would also add after thinking on it more, eventually this is gonna trickle down to the pros and lessen the product at that level. I feel like we're already seeing it with football at the NFL level. Sure some guys will get theirs and stay in one place and develop into good pros. But the amount of movement with the higher tier guys is slightly troubling to me. They also score these pay days at young ages and you can just see the motivation being sucked or of them. No reason to get better, you're already paid and if remotely smart with it, already set up nice for life.

I went to a Minnesota Moose game once a long time ago. That is the only minor league game I've ever seen, and that is because we had free tickets.
We go to the Knoxville smokey games. Affiliate of the Chicago cubs... I actually prefer that over MLB..

I'd think that there are probably 75 schools that are really in the game on this. Let's say that the average big time school nails down 4 transfers. That's 300 of the transfers getting decent money. Another 300 stayers are getting decent money. 8 guys per team. The rest are getting walking around money.

I am ready to dump college sports rather than any coach.

What is happening is an absolute joke. If no one has loyalty, then why should I care.

Let college sports burn to the ground at this point. Just start up Euro league levels of pro teams and universities can rent out their facilities.
1713825889812.gif

so how does a team like colorado state do it?
Colorado State is looking for a whole new team for next year. The starters were all seniors and the bench is in the portal. How will they do it? They are probably going to wait until the big guys pay the best and then they will recruit for the best of the remains.

Many can do far better than 15-44, with a tenth place peak.
Look- this is beyond irrelevant this spring. He is the coach. We have a new problem that is larger than that. The competitive balance just got far worse. If Ben can't recover and sign a good squad this spring- he will get the axe. Then it will be up to the University to decide whether or not they want to compete going forward to be relevant in major college basketball. To get a good to great coach they will also need to commit to the needed resources.

College sports are still great -

It does seem like one of those things nowadays where we just shouldn't follow the offseason at all. Just wait for game 1 and see who runs out on the court / field and hope we're decent
Im just not sure they are still great. The schools and players have no interest in having a good product. Not sure why I should.

I have. They lost a couple starters though. Obviously the bench guys they lost wouldn't have played. But they just added Gillis, who's probably worse than the starters they lost.
Can’t blame guys going to NBA, filipowski and the young guard, everyone else wouldn’t play with the recruits they have coming in, even if they were starters this last year.

For me, college sports was way more important than pro sports. For BB and FB anyway. Now, like many of you, I hate what is happening. I am about at the “couldn’t care any less” stage for college basketball. These aren’t students at the university - here to go to school and play sports anymore. The NCAA is ruining something great. And it isn’t just unlimited transfers and NIL money. It is adding schools from Rutgers on one coast to all the PAC 10 schools on the other all joining the big ten. Ridiculous. The entire things is just horrible.

I’m wondering if it’s both NIL and CBJ not connecting with players too. Certainly, Cam Christie could potentially make more than say, a second round pick in the NBA.

I said this earlier also, its watching a shitty version of pro sports.

I would also add after thinking on it more, eventually this is gonna trickle down to the pros and lessen the product at that level. I feel like we're already seeing it with football at the NFL level. Sure some guys will get theirs and stay in one place and develop into good pros. But the amount of movement with the higher tier guys is slightly troubling to me. They also score these pay days at young ages and you can just see the motivation being sucked or of them. No reason to get better, you're already paid and if remotely smart with it, already set up nice for life.
The thing is it might be a shittier version of pro sports for people who have actually pro teams, but for the Alabama's and Kentucky's this is their pro sports and the new system where they get to buy the best players is great for those fans. The administration is going to have to decide if they want to play with the big boys or go the University of Chicago route, but they can no longer expect to split revenue with Ohio State and USC just because they can deliver a few million cable viewers to the Big Ten Network.

Congress /SCOTUS and the NCAA does have to allow contacts at the very least. This level of turnover is not sustainable.

Im just not sure they are still great. The schools and players have no interest in having a good product. Not sure why I should.
If we find a way into the NCAA tournament next year, we'll all love it.

Top Bottom