BREAKING: Elijah Hawkins to transfer

it's a lot easier to buy 5-7 players and compete playing basketball thna really any other college sport out there. the gophers are not going to contend at any point and it just further solidifies that cbb is going to turn into a trash product for the vast majority of teams

It is different sports and smaller roster = more player impact, but the environment changed in Football as well, and just like Bball the horizon is no longer 4 years, but 1

Point blank, PJ has adapted and Ben hasn't
There may be a lot more money people around town willing to help football than basketball. Not sure.

Anyone else follow the English Premier League? There's 6 teams out of the 20 that far outspend the others and the champion is almost always one of those 6. If another team jumps up and does well, their best players immediately get snatched by the bigs - sometimes during the year.

Yet, it's still one of the most popular leagues on the planet.

My guess -and it's just a guess - is this is a glimpse into the future of college basketball.

My guess is that Hawkins was happy with his NIL but then heard that one of his teammates was getting a better deal so he tried to renegotiate. With a limited budget they could not do much so he reopened the bidding process in the portal.

Agree with everything said here. College basketball has degraded significantly in product, and part of it is the reasons you stated. Loyalty goes both ways, fans won't care if every year theres a new docket of kids coming in.

They can literally drive a mile to Target center to get a far superior product with the same "loyalty"
Exactly. The quality of hoops has gone down as teams don't develop together over time. It has been fun to watch the Wolves develop together over the past two years, and we can see a future of them doing that without having to worry about some of the young starts leaving. This year to year free agency will kill college sports.

Anyone else follow the English Premier League? There's 6 teams out of the 20 that far outspend the others and the champion is almost always one of those 6. If another team jumps up and does well, their best players immediately get snatched by the bigs - sometimes during the year.

Yet, it's still one of the most popular leagues on the planet.

My guess -and it's just a guess - is this is a glimpse into the future of college basketball.
There's also the big deal of regulation, which makes the season interesting for fans of the bottom half of the conference teams. And even if your team does get regulated, then in theory you should be able to compete for the top of the Champions League. In other words, they have a structure that keeps all the fans interested throughout the entire year.

This is the ground even the pro sports with the most liberal free agency rules have been unwilling to tread: unlimited free agency every year. And for good reason: chaos isn't what anyone wants...and yet here we are. Even the schools that have means and are doing it better than the others: I can't imagine anyone enjoying having to navigate this landscape. It's a nightmare scenario for practically everyone involved--except, of course, for athletes that can cash in. And, of course, we backed into this "system" so players could get paid. The question is whether the sport gets so out of hand that it ends up killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
We are here because of hubris and a lack of leadership in the NCAA. They could have nipped this in the bud a long time ago had they put some forethought and effort into the problem.

An unstable product is not sustainable. Volatility is generally bad business, and most do not tolerate it well or for long.

Key word - "Oversees". Do you think Coyle will get it right on his 3rd coach or do we need to wait for the 4th?

Fire Coyle!
This has absolutely nothing to do with the coach or AD. Hawkins was going to get 250k here. He was approached by agents offering more. He is not going to play in the NBA. He decided on the money. Blaming the coach is stupid and naive.

Hmm, so you are saying PJ is working within the same rules at the same school and getting it done, no excuses?

Well said
Totally different thing, football has many more impact players. PJ didn't do to well with the skill players that stand out. Lost a boat load of quarterbacks and running backs

It will change though. I gave up my season tickets for next year, not because Ben is returning as coach but because I can't stand this new environment. In the past I would have been at every Big Ten tourney game if it was in Mpls. This year I went to one.

That money will quit flowing as it becomes AAA basketball. People have loved college because of the relationship with the players over time. Few people watch minor league baseball, the G-league, etc. because it is minor league, and the players come and go. And, they won't watch college basketball as it becomes minor league.
I went to a Minnesota Moose game once a long time ago. That is the only minor league game I've ever seen, and that is because we had free tickets.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the coach or AD. Hawkins was going to get 250k here. He was approached by agents offering more. He is not going to play in the NBA. He decided on the money. Blaming the coach is stupid and naive.
Hawkins is getting $1B.

My invented number pulled from thin air is as valid as yours.

I blame Coyle for not building the network, donation base, and collaborating to creatively build NIL to a high level here.

We could probably do better with a new coach that could better take advantage of NIL but for now I say keep Ben, fire Coyle.

There's also the big deal of regulation, which makes the season interesting for fans of the bottom half of the conference teams. And even if your team does get regulated, then in theory you should be able to compete for the top of the Champions League. In other words, they have a structure that keeps all the fans interested throughout the entire year.
The correct term is relegation, but, yes, that does add a lot of intrigue - it's not a perfect parallel. But what is a parallel is the hopelessness of regularly competing for a title or even a top 4 or 5 finish (which qualify for Champions/Europa League). Hey maybe college football is already there...

PS, getting off topic a bit here, but stay with me There are championship teams that can't afford what it takes to get promoted into and then stay in the premier league - the 3 teams that were promoted last year are all losing beaucoup money. There's a potential parallel there, too. Can you afford to play in the big leagues?

Excuses, Ben was hired alongside the changes. He needs to deal with it or make way for someone who can

You'd have a point if players weren't transferring out of damn near every school. It's not a coaching problem.

Key word - "Oversees". Do you think Coyle will get it right on his 3rd coach or do we need to wait for the 4th?

Fire Coyle!

Pitino was here long before Coyle was hired. Maybe next year Coyle will actually be able to interview who he wants to interview and not have his candidate pool limited by the new president like it was by the last one.

The correct term is relegation, but, yes, that does add a lot of intrigue - it's not a perfect parallel. But what is a parallel is the hopelessness of regularly competing for a title or even a top 4 or 5 finish (which qualify for Champions/Europa League). Hey maybe college football is already there...
the additional issue with that parallel is that players sign contracts, which is the big issue here is that the players don't sign with "teams" they now sign with NIL collectives with no obligation to the team. Players can't be poached if organizations wanted to keep them in EPL, but it's how they make money to stay afloat and in the EPL (I'm a Wolves fan and know Neto will not be on our team next year and wouldn't be suprised if we lose Ait Nouri and Cunha).

This can all go away in college sports if you just let Universities sign players directly (which they would certainly have a massive self interest in signing and keeping the best talent of which they profit off of rather than seeing them leave) rather than this fake NIL bullshit we do now. In theory the "NIL" shouldn't go away if their likeness is so valuable and a player could choose to sign whatever length deal they want (get the guarantee or if you want to try be able to jump, you can be cut).

I will have no real interest in CBB next year as the poaching is far too easy in buying a super team in college sports. In pro leagues, you are have collective bargaining (and speaking of the EPL, it's why deductions have happened to numerous teams and we'll see if they hit one of the big 6 in Man City eventually as well).

Pitino was here long before Coyle was hired. Maybe next year Coyle will actually be able to interview who he wants to interview and not have his candidate pool limited by the new president like it was by the last one.
A really good athletic director, with any guts, would have quit under the last president. The common theme here over the last 50 years is that the administration has failed to support the coaches whenever push came to shove. Start there.

A really good athletic director, with any guts, would have quit under the last president. The common theme here over the last 50 years is that the administration has failed to support the coaches whenever push came to shove. Start there.

Maybe Coyle actually really loves it here and didn't want to quit, which is why he came here so quickly after taking the Syracuse job. Maybe he likes where a lot of the other programs are too. Maybe he also knew that president wasn't going to stick around long.

If people quit every time their boss forced them to do something they didn't agree with, there wouldn't be very many successful people around.

The problem was not that Pitino was here long before Coyle - it was that Pitino was here long after Coyle.

You guys just perpetuate the problem by giving bad leaders another chance.

Maybe Coyle actually really loves it here and didn't want to quit, which is why he came here so quickly after taking the Syracuse job. Maybe he likes where a lot of the other programs are too. Maybe he also knew that president wasn't going to stick around long.

If people quit every time their boss forced them to do something they didn't agree with, there wouldn't be very many successful people around.
I am just accusing him of being in over his head - we can do better. It sounds like you are accusing him of being an immoral weak man - I think you take it too far.

That's what the scholarship used to do, but now it's the Wild Wild West. I agree with NIL, but shouldn't be mixed with recruiting. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'm not sure how guardrails can be set without lawsuits.
You're slandering the Wild West.

The problem was not that Pitino was here long before Coyle - it was that Pitino was here long after Coyle.

You guys just perpetuate the problem by giving bad leaders another chance.

Pitino went to the NCAA tournament 2 of the first 3 years Coyle was here. If Coyle is to blame now, shouldn't he get credit for that?

I am just accusing him of being in over his head - we can do better. It sounds like you are accusing him of being an immoral weak man - I think you take it too far.

Coyle isn't in over his head, he's been one of the best AD's the Gophers have had in a long time. He's also pretty highly regarded around the country.

BJ also gets paid more than Coyle and just has to find and keep 7 players to be competitive. Coyle gets paid less to deal with 260 employees.

Your blame of where the basketball program stands continues to be completely misdirected.

Top Bottom