Braeden Carrington named Mr. Basketball

FWIW, he is the 8th ranked player in Minnesota 247. #1 Holloway (MSU), #2 Payne (MN), #3 Aligbe (BC) #4 Heide (PU), #5 King (ISU), #6 Watson (ISU), #7 Lee (UST)

FWIW, he is the 8th ranked player in Minnesota 247. #1 Holloway (MSU), #2 Payne (MN), #3 Aligbe (BC) #4 Heide (PU), #5 King (ISU), #6 Watson (ISU), #7 Lee (UST)
I think this tells you a lot about both rankings AND awards. Heide and Lee weren't even named as one of the 10 finalists for Mr. BB!

I think this tells you a lot about both rankings AND awards. Heide and Lee weren't even named as one of the 10 finalists for Mr. BB!
Yeah, but to be fair, he's playing in Utah. Same situation as Ola Joseph in Arizona, not eligible.
Regardless, congratulations to Braeden. Great job!

Last edited:

Thought for sure Holloman would get it. And about those rankings, way better shooter than King, a little bigger too, better player than Lee and Watson for sure. Lee and Watson 3rd, 4th best on their team right now..

So the Gophers got the 8th best player in MN...I was expecting much more given they hired BJ.

Since Heide didn’t even play in Minnesota your creditable is lacking on this subject.

Not sure if you’ve watched MN HS basketball but Carrington as good as anyone in the class. Don’t trust National rankings

Thought for sure Holloman would get it. And about those rankings, way better shooter than King, a little bigger too, better player than Lee and Watson for sure. Lee and Watson 3rd, 4th best on their team right now..
Word on the street it was between Carrington and Holloman. The decision was based on who chose the better coach/team/system/culture. We got the right guy.

I love my maroon glasses.

Not sure if you’ve watched MN HS basketball but Carrington as good as anyone in the class. Don’t trust National rankings
Good to hear. How would you compare him athletically to Gabe K? (the two are compared a lot here)

So the Gophers got the 8th best player in MN...I was expecting much more given they hired BJ.
If you talk to people who know high school basketball in MN, the put Payne, King, Braeden, and Hollander as the top four in no particular order. Lee is nowhere near the top so those rankings you cited are BS. There is a reason he is going to UST and the Summit League.

Just my opinion and I'll count Heide and JOJ, but this is how I would rank the 2022's

1) Tre
2) Payne ( he's close to being 1b IMO)
3) Carrington
4) King
5) Heide
6) Watson
7) JOJ
8) Prince
9) Lee
10) Blue
11) Omot
12) Dodd
13)Loge
14) Bjerke
15)Nnaji
16) Torbor
17) Katona
18) Jones
19) Pennebaker
20) Mc Donald

IMO the Gophers got two of the top three, three of the top seven. Iowa State got a good one in King, potentially good one in Watson, but his AAU season left a lot to be desired. JOJ played well for D1 last summer, but it sounds his Senior year bouncing from Prolific to Compass was a mess, think he would have been better off staying at Osseo, but there's a lot of benefits to playing Prep with other good D1 guys, upgraded facilities, training, more competitive practices, so will see. St. Thomas did really well in state for a Summit League team. Prince will be interesting watch at BC, doubt they'll use him the same way Minnehaha did. Katona a nice add for UMD, Jones for Mankato. Augustana grabbing Loge, McDonald and Brady Helgren. Torbor could be a nice addition for Tim Miles, but if you watch closely, I would say Carrington handled more of the Point Gard duties for PC then Torbor did. Pennebaker just got an offer from Bo Ryan's kid at Greenbay. Nnaji and Dodd are still uncommitted as well, hopefully they get a shot

Good to hear. How would you compare him athletically to Gabe K? (the two are compared a lot here)
IMO I would say Carrington is a little more athletic, looks longer than Gabe, both shot it well in high school, Carrington's shot is really quick and smooth. Defensively, it's hard to compare, Gabe was a solid defender in AAU and at De Lasalle, but I don't think anyone saw him making the leap that he did as a Freshman, think you got to give Rob Jeter coming over to Pitino's staff that year a lot of credit. I also thing Carrington can turn into a secondary ball handler, wouldn't want that for him, his freshman year, but as an upperclassmen he could handle that.

Just my opinion and I'll count Heide and JOJ, but this is how I would rank the 2022's

1) Tre
2) Payne ( he's close to being 1b IMO)
3) Carrington
4) King
5) Heide
6) Watson
7) JOJ
8) Prince
9) Lee
10) Blue
11) Omot
12) Dodd
13)Loge
14) Bjerke
15)Nnaji
16) Torbor
17) Katona
18) Jones
19) Pennebaker
20) Mc Donald

IMO the Gophers got two of the top three, three of the top seven. Iowa State got a good one in King, potentially good one in Watson, but his AAU season left a lot to be desired. JOJ played well for D1 last summer, but it sounds his Senior year bouncing from Prolific to Compass was a mess, think he would have been better off staying at Osseo, but there's a lot of benefits to playing Prep with other good D1 guys, upgraded facilities, training, more competitive practices, so will see. St. Thomas did really well in state for a Summit League team. Prince will be interesting watch at BC, doubt they'll use him the same way Minnehaha did. Katona a nice add for UMD, Jones for Mankato. Augustana grabbing Loge, McDonald and Brady Helgren. Torbor could be a nice addition for Tim Miles, but if you watch closely, I would say Carrington handled more of the Point Gard duties for PC then Torbor did. Pennebaker just got an offer from Bo Ryan's kid at Greenbay. Nnaji and Dodd are still uncommitted as well, hopefully they get a shot
nice list. Not to make this a back and forth discussion...but i think Bjerke is easily a top 10 in this state and IMO he is the best recruit St. Thomas brought in. Ahead of both Lee & Blue

nice list. Not to make this a back and forth discussion...but i think Bjerke is easily a top 10 in this state and IMO he is the best recruit St. Thomas brought in. Ahead of both Lee & Blue
if Lee develops into a rim protector…..look out. He and Bjerke could be an excellent duo for St. Thomas by the time they are upperclassmen.

I could see that, I tend to favor guards on this list and there usually more likely to contribute day one, but with Lee, it's weird to have him as low as I do, he definitely has the potential to be higher, I can see why Kansas, Stanford and the U were snooping around at one point. I could see Lee doing well and transferring up, I don't see that with Carter, but I think Carter can certainly be a very good player there. Blue had a really nice season this year, it's a deep class and I can certainly see arguments to be made to move a lot of people on this list up, down etc. After the top two, I think 3-5 are really close, same with 6-8, touched on Lee, but 10-20, all those guys are top ten in state most years. I didn't even include Willie Wilson or Brady Helgren and I think they're good players as well or Siwek at Rosemont, Collins at Mankato West. This class doesn't have a Suggs, Chet, or Jones Brother, but it's probably the deepest class of D1/D2 basketball players the state has produced

Top Bottom