Brad Davison under microscope with new rule aimed at eliminating flopping; heavily boo'd during NC State game

Sticking feet out under opposing players is another stalwart of Wisconsin basketball. Was it Gasser who took out Andre Hollins on a Hollins' 3 attempt with an "accidental" foot placed right where Hollins was landing?
Yupp derailed our season hollins was never the same the rest of the year. If i recall that play gasser even did a little stutter step to make sure he was under him. Definitly seemed intentional to me maybe not to directly hurt him but definitly to under him on the landing

The flopping rule needs to get tougher.
I was watching the Marquette- Kansas State game tonight and late in the game a KSU big did the classic Duke fall down flop near the lane after the driving player did a Eurostep and did not hit him as expected.

The flops on the drives, the perimeter shooters doing the Reggie Miller kick out and other gyrations all need to be stopped by rule.

The officials have proven they cannot avoid being influenced by these flops, so more oversight is needed.

College officials already have a huge bias towards calling charging since the 90s for some reason, and it needs to be reversed.

The flopping rule needs to get tougher.
I was watching the Marquette- Kansas State game tonight and late in the game a KSU big did the classic Duke fall down flop near the lane after the driving player did a Eurostep and did not hit him as expected.

The flops on the drives, the perimeter shooters doing the Reggie Miller kick out and other gyrations all need to be stopped by rule.

The officials have proven they cannot avoid being influenced by these flops, so more oversight is needed.

College officials already have a huge bias towards calling charging since the 90s for some reason, and it needs to be reversed.

I do think there is something to be said about anticipating a hit and letting your body go loose. Some guys can be perfectly in position and may fall in an anticipated direction on contact. Jump shooters may “abort” and bail on their landing if they sense a defender coming up underneath them. Have already seen a couple jump shooters get called for flopping for, in my opinion, protecting themselves from an Andre hollins situation.

Love the intent of college basketball, but I think this is being called poorly. Not all “flops” that are being called are done with ill intent, and this puts the scoreboard in jeopardy. There’s no rule that a player must root themselves to the ground upon contact and avoid the floor at all physical costs.

Hopefully we just get one or two painful years of this officiating and move on.

I'm honestly surprised because when I saw there was something being call The Brad Davison Rule I thought it was going to be stiffer penalties for intentionally trying to injure other players.

I do think there is something to be said about anticipating a hit and letting your body go loose. Some guys can be perfectly in position and may fall in an anticipated direction on contact. Jump shooters may “abort” and bail on their landing if they sense a defender coming up underneath them. Have already seen a couple jump shooters get called for flopping for, in my opinion, protecting themselves from an Andre hollins situation.

Love the intent of college basketball, but I think this is being called poorly. Not all “flops” that are being called are done with ill intent, and this puts the scoreboard in jeopardy. There’s no rule that a player must root themselves to the ground upon contact and avoid the floor at all physical costs.

Hopefully we just get one or two painful years of this officiating and move on.
You're giving the offensive flopper way too much credit. They're not worried 99.9% of the time about somebody sliding underneath them, that's really unknowable before you jump. The obvious exception is if you see that little weasel Davison coming at you. Refs just need to prove to the defense that will allow you to jump vertically and block a shot without getting called for some slight amount of contact that the offensive player initiated.

You're giving the offensive flopper way too much credit. They're not worried 99.9% of the time about somebody sliding underneath them, that's really unknowable before you jump. The obvious exception is if you see that little weasel Davison coming at you. Refs just need to prove to the defense that will allow you to jump vertically and block a shot without getting called for some slight amount of contact that the offensive player initiated.

I agree. Defenders tend to try to draw the charge because officials almost always give the offense the benefit of the doubt. A defender has the right to move if they have established position, but officials struggle to make that call, even when the offense initiates contact. Defenders "flop" or try to draw the charge because they will otherwise get called for the foul. It's self-preservation for defender trying to avoid foul trouble. They need to clean that up before they can address defenders drawing charges.

My point is that it's more complicated than many people think and, to be fair, it's difficult to identify in real time.

how does a team on defense who has one player laying on the floor become better defensively? It's up to the coach to scout the team and be ready for the flop and play 5 on 4. This stuff ends when the O gains the advantage.

I agree. Defenders tend to try to draw the charge because officials almost always give the offense the benefit of the doubt. A defender has the right to move if they have established position, but officials struggle to make that call, even when the offense initiates contact. Defenders "flop" or try to draw the charge because they will otherwise get called for the foul. It's self-preservation for defender trying to avoid foul trouble. They need to clean that up before they can address defenders drawing charges.

My point is that it's more complicated than many people think and, to be fair, it's difficult to identify in real time.

Definitely complicated. But it’s becoming a judgement call, and judgement is something rulemakers try to minimize out of officials (obviously it’s impossible, but it’s a goal to minimize).

When a jump shooter falls in the corner on a clean but close play and the officials stop play to call the flop (have seen it twice this season), they are

1) stopping a 5-4 advantage the other way and
2) acknowledging that they were able to determine in real time that no foul was committed

Meanwhile, a Louisville player lunges into the defensive player last night with a minute left, heaves, takes a dive, and the flop wasn’t called. Inconsistent application of this rule.

I just don’t like what this adds to the game. I dislike true flops (a guard’s fake head bob the most), but this rule is just one more opportunity fans to get pissed at the officials for judgement calls.

how does a team on defense who has one player laying on the floor become better defensively? It's up to the coach to scout the team and be ready for the flop and play 5 on 4. This stuff ends when the O gains the advantage.
Tough to play well 5 on 4 when the ref blows the whistle as soon as the player hits the floor and gives the ball to defense. Thay is why they need to clamp down on flopping.

Tough to play well 5 on 4 when the ref blows the whistle as soon as the player hits the floor and gives the ball to defense. Thay is why they need to clamp down on flopping.
Maybe they should go back to grandpa's day of 'no contact'.

Maybe they should go back to grandpa's day of 'no contact'.
Or punish the guys trying to screw with the officiating by flopping to draw undeserved fouls. I'm all for a physical game, I just think taking a dive in any sport is pretty cowardly.

Davison cheap shots players, trips players and flops because he is overmatched on the floor. Guy is a jackass.

Or punish the guys trying to screw with the officiating by flopping to draw undeserved fouls. I'm all for a physical game, I just think taking a dive in any sport is pretty cowardly.
Everyone keeps ripping davison for taking flops! C'mon the guy was flopping like 6 times against nc state last year. If the ref is gonna keep calling bs charges than why RIP Davison. We should be ripping the official for getting caught up in all the stupid flopping and calling charges. All davison is doing is trying to get charges to try and win a game. The officials calling charges all the time when he flops should be the ones we cant stand!

Everyone keeps ripping davison for taking flops! C'mon the guy was flopping like 6 times against nc state last year. If the ref is gonna keep calling bs charges than why RIP Davison. We should be ripping the official for getting caught up in all the stupid flopping and calling charges. All davison is doing is trying to get charges to try and win a game. The officials calling charges all the time when he flops should be the ones we cant stand!
Can’t stand both of them. The culture in sports in the past has condoned this sort of behavior. Players act like they didn’t touch a ball when they know they did. Where I come from, that is called lying., Flopping is essentially lying, too. Players rarely help up an opponent they just knocked to the floor. What’s with all of that? When did lying, deceiving and cheating become vogue for sports? Makes the offenders into idiots in my opinion.

Can’t stand both of them. The culture in sports in the past has condoned this sort of behavior. Players act like they didn’t touch a ball when they know they did. Where I come from, that is called lying., Flopping is essentially lying, too. Players rarely help up an opponent they just knocked to the floor. What’s with all of that? When did lying, deceiving and cheating become vogue for sports? Makes the offenders into idiots in my opinion.
you are making a case for non contact basketball.

People don't just dislike him for flopping, as has been made clear earlier. He's also a punk who tries to injure people intentionally, and has had a number of incredibly bush-league plays, with absolutely no self awareness. I literally don't think I could cheer for a guy like that on my team. My hockey team had a guy who we all despised because he wasn't just dirty or an instigator, like they have on many teams, he went above and beyond. We wouldn't even stick up for him on the ice, because we were ashamed of his antics. I have to imagine I'd feel that way if Davison was on my team.

People don't just dislike him for flopping, as has been made clear earlier. He's also a punk who tries to injure people intentionally, and has had a number of incredibly bush-league plays, with absolutely no self awareness. I literally don't think I could cheer for a guy like that on my team. My hockey team had a guy who we all despised because he wasn't just dirty or an instigator, like they have on many teams, he went above and beyond. We wouldn't even stick up for him on the ice, because we were ashamed of his antics. I have to imagine I'd feel that way if Davison was on my team.
No, I get it your right! Some of the shady stuff is uncalled for and not wanted anywhere. I was just pointing out that the refs are the ones who are buying this crap!

No, I get it your right! Some of the shady stuff is uncalled for and not wanted anywhere. I was just pointing out that the refs are the ones who are buying this crap!
Can stand the flopping ! Love guys that play hardball out but flopping is not tough, it is acting. They are calling it pretty regularly.

Can stand the flopping ! Love guys that play hardball out but flopping is not tough, it is acting. They are calling it pretty regularly.
And I'll also note, and this is a carry-over from my hockey days as well, but some guys are floppers and crybabies, and other guys are cheapshot artists and fake tough guys, and there's nothing more aggravating than people who are both.

Did mn try to land brad d. We seem to choose to not recruit or not land the suburban and rural kids for b-ball. Boys this kids like to go to Wisconsin.

Haha half of these highlights he’s already falling backwards before contact. The refs also need to go back to how to referee 101.

Brad was the hero last night against MD. It appears the UW program is built upon quality suburban MN kids. It would be nice if someone at the U would have invited them to the U for college basketball.

Brad was the hero last night against MD. It appears the UW program is built upon quality suburban MN kids. It would be nice if someone at the U would have invited them to the U for college basketball.
Theyll have two more next year, can't wait to hear from you about it then as well

Nah. Glad those annoying f**krs are at Wisconsin. Makes it even easier to hate them.

Davidson has not been good this year. He‘s a bench role player with any decent B1G backcourt.

Reuvers would have looked good in Maroon and Gold though.

Brad is in his 3rd year and looks the same as his first...in fact he's probably shooting the ball worse

Don’t regret missing out on Davison. Several others have been painful misses, though.

So what is you deal? Are you just a typically troll or just a skunk fans trying to stir the pot? You have not said anything positive about the Gophers, so you can not be a fan.

Top Bottom