Brad Davison under microscope with new rule aimed at eliminating flopping; heavily boo'd during NC State game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Wisconsin State Journal:

Officially, it’s 4-10.1.C.4 in the 2019-20 NCAA men’s basketball rules book.

Some people might have another name for it: The Brad Davison Rule.

The University of Wisconsin junior guard even admitted earlier this week he’s heard it called that “from numerous people.” He also wondered aloud if the genesis of the rule — an attempt to eliminate flopping from the game — can be traced to the fallout from one night in November last season.

Davison, who was issued a pair of warnings for flopping last week in New York, chose his words carefully while discussing the rule. The last thing he wants is a bigger target on his back.

“Some people call it flopping, some people call it gamesmanship and other people just call it playing basketball,” he said.

Go Gophers!!

Amazing that he seems to equate cheating with "playing basketball."

This guy is an embarrassment.

Haha. This guy perfectly encompasses Wisconsin Basketball. What a little weasel. I hate the flop and am soooo glad the NCAA put this rule in place. The amount of offensive fouls called in the game now is embarrassing. Let the kids play. Another good example would be the other night against Clemson. How many moving screen calls did we see? Let em play refs.

That quote from Davison should remove all doubt about his trip of Nate Mason a couple years ago. I believe there were some on the board who maintained it wasn't intentional.

I wonder how Davison would be received if he were a Gopher. I hate the dirty stuff and the flopping and would like to think he would still bother me as a Gopher. Joey King, for example, would occasionally do some things that made me cringe even though he was a Gopher and they benefitted the Gophers (flopping type stuff or acting for a foul as opposed to something that could injure a player). Davison does have some qualities that would make him popular (local kid, plays hard, has made some clutch plays for Wisconsin and doesn't shy away in big moments).

That quote from Davison should remove all doubt about his trip of Nate Mason a couple years ago. I believe there were some on the board who maintained it wasn't intentional.

I wonder how Davison would be received if he were a Gopher. I hate the dirty stuff and the flopping and would like to think he would still bother me as a Gopher. Joey King, for example, would occasionally do some things that made me cringe even though he was a Gopher and they benefitted the Gophers (flopping type stuff or acting for a foul as opposed to something that could injure a player). Davison does have some qualities that would make him popular (local kid, plays hard, has made some clutch plays for Wisconsin and doesn't shy away in big moments).

I honestly don't remember Joey flopping. I just remember him being legitimately good at taking charges.

Go Gophers!!
My son is a freshman at NCSU and was at the game. Like the announcers said, the crowd boo'd every time he got the ball. It was the only BIG team I wanted to lose in the BIG/ACC Challenge. After last year's game our Wolfpack friends understood our disdain for Davison.

I do think there is something to be said about playing the game how Davison does. Like, if someone creates contact and you sell it a little bit to get a call? Thats gamesmanship. Everyone does it. A big man throws his hands up as he goes up for a lay-up--gamesmanship. Tyus Jones does his dumb head thing--gamesmanship.

My problem with Davison is that he has intentionally tried to hurt multiple players, punched multiple players below the belt and seems to enjoy the fact that he can purposely try to injure his opponents. This is not gamesmanship. This is being a fucking weasel.

If Davison was on this team then everyone here would absolutely love his antics.

Nope. I'd be happy when he drew charges, but wouldn't like it when he's punching players in the balls, tripping players, or sticking his feet underneath people before they land. I think most Gopher fans would be upset if our players did that.

Davison still needs to be decked by someone on the court. His dangerous trip of Murphy last year must be punished. His new hairdo and beard should be punished too.

Davison still needs to be decked by someone on the court. His dangerous trip of Murphy last year must be punished. His new hairdo and beard should be punished too.
I nominate Freeman.

Do WisconSIN fans like him? I have no idea, I'm not a WisconSIN fan. If any fan base would like a player that tries to cheat and injure others, it'd be them.

Nope. I'd be happy when he drew charges, but wouldn't like it when he's punching players in the balls, tripping players, or sticking his feet underneath people before they land. I think most Gopher fans would be upset if our players did that.
Sticking feet out under opposing players is another stalwart of Wisconsin basketball. Was it Gasser who took out Andre Hollins on a Hollins' 3 attempt with an "accidental" foot placed right where Hollins was landing?

Do WisconSIN fans like him? I have no idea, I'm not a WisconSIN fan. If any fan base would like a player that tries to cheat and injure others, it'd be them.
I'm sure plenty of them don't mind his antics at all. I don't want to venture over to their toxic basketball board but Wisconsin fans tend to overlook their own players faults as "part of the game".

My experience is they don't mind it when he is playing well. But he hasn't developed much at all since his freshman year so I think they've gotten frustrated with him in general.

NO FCKG WAY!

fans do have on homer glasses, but what this guy does is not is not acceptable.
+1

Matt Haarms probably fits the bill of someone who is a pest that annoys me on another team, but I'd enjoy on my team. Brad Davison is a tool no matter who he plays for.

Gamesmanship unappreciated on this thread.

Gamesmanship unappreciated on this thread.

I think you're failing to distinguish between a Grayson Allen type and a JJ Reddick type. Brad Davison is like Grasyon Allen, he would be my one of my least favorite Gophers.

I think you're failing to distinguish between a Grayson Allen type and a JJ Reddick type. Brad Davison is like Grasyon Allen, he would be my one of my least favorite Gophers.

Agree. Hard to understand the mindset. Not only playing in such a manner but also excusing/justifying it afterward.

Top Bottom