Bowl Projections Megathread

The bowl season is absurd and unfair to the kids, who are overworked anyway.

Set up a tournament with 8 or so teams and cancel the rest.
As much as I personally don't like the bowls, players love them. They get a whole bunch of free stuff, get a free trip where they actually get to do things, and get to be on national television (and for the Texas/Florida kids can play in front of friends and family).

The players are the only reason I still don't mind the bowl season, even though it screws the fans.

Good Lord, the Texas Bowl's website is returning a database error!

Brett McMurphy (ESPN):
Syracuse will play Minnesota in Texas Bowl, source said.

Good Lord, the Texas Bowl's website is returning a database error.

Great chance for a Gopher 9th win! Gophers need to prepare and run the Orange off the field.

The bowl season is absurd and unfair to the kids, who are overworked anyway.

Set up a playoff with 8 teams and cancel the rest.

I realize this means no Rose Bowl ever for us. But the present situation is comical.

A free trip with a chance to play another game and have a great experience is still way better than not playing the game.

A free trip with a chance to play another game and have a great experience is still way better than not playing the game.

This and it happens over school breaks so families can accompany most schools during their vacation. Personally, I love College Football and look at the Non-Championship games they same way I do Holiday Tournaments in Basketball. Or as Trophy Games for Conferences. The games count toward your regular season total and so do the stats. Just a great time to see teams that don't usually play each other.

Which is why playing Syracuse again is a disappointment, but will still watch it.

If you don't like watching "minor bowls" don't watch and don't get so worked-up about it. Pretty simple really.

Bowl games, especially the minor ones, dislike taking teams in consecutive years, because they know it's harder to get traveling fans to return so soon while locals take a "seen it" attitude. So while many Gopher fans are disappointed about returning to the Texas Bowl, I'd imagine the game's organizers are feeling pretty much the same way and lamenting their hands being tied on the matter. Plus, apart from getting Minnesota twice in a row, the Texas Bowl loses out on a Big XII "host" team and gets a Syracuse team that will probably travel fewer fans than us and is effectively useless as a draw for local neutrals. It's a dilemma for the U of M too. We're on the hook for thousands of tickets that will be hard to sell. However, all parties will put on brave faces and if the Gophers win, the disappointment will dissipate on this end as we look ahead to 2014 with good feeling and memories.

Top Bottom