Big Ten Football: Early 2022 QB Preview and Rankings (#8. Tanner Morgan)

The last two years Morgan has looked small, slow, indecisive, jittery in the pocket, and inaccurate. On the flipside, the two youngsters behind him are big, athletic and fast and have potential to be stars so we have hope for a better future under center. I can only imagine how much more dangerous we will be with a running threat at QB.

The last two years Morgan has looked small, slow, indecisive, jittery in the pocket, and inaccurate. On the flipside, the two youngsters behind him are big, athletic and fast and have potential to be stars so we have hope for a better future under center. I can only imagine how much more dangerous we will be with a running threat at QB.

Yeah, they are physical specimens, and about the best public faces for the program PJF could hope for as heirs to Morgan (see videos). Knuth looks like he has an NFL frame already, and Kaliakmanis was a track guy, maybe hurdles IIRC. Who is it going to be? Sad to say but probably at least one of them will finish their career elsewhere. The off-season competition in 2023 will be extremely interesting it terms of who gets the nod.

Gotta love the brother dynamic

Kind of interesting, according to 247 our 2022 QB Knuth ran a 4.61 verified laser 40 yard dash at the Elite11 when he was a junior in High School. That time would make him the third fastest QB tested at the NFL combine today. Looks like he's also taller than every one of them and got an NFL frame already. I think PJ may have found a game-changer in this one. 2022 NFL Combine.jpg2022 NFL Combine.jpg

Yeah, they are physical specimens, and about the best public faces for the program PJF could hope for as heirs to Morgan (see videos). Knuth looks like he has an NFL frame already, and Kaliakmanis was a track guy, maybe hurdles IIRC. Who is it going to be? Sad to say but probably at least one of them will finish their career elsewhere. The off-season competition in 2023 will be extremely interesting it terms of who gets the nod.

Gotta love the brother dynamic

I think Jacob is going to push Athan and vice versa. PJ Feck hit the jackpot on both. One of them who starts probably will enter the NFL Draft early if the Gophers win a Big Ten Title. It will be fun to watch the Gophers in the post-Tanner Morgan Era.

If the future is as bright as we hope...maybe, Tanner is not the starter? PJ says his job is to recruit somebody to take your spot. If Tanner is putting in extra work on football versus the wedding then it probably won't happen. Or it never had a chance even if one of the next guys up is a Trevor Lawrence clone. But just throwing stuff against the wall.

He can be top 3 if has the chance.

I’m excited to see him with KC again.

If the future is as bright as we hope...maybe, Tanner is not the starter? PJ says his job is to recruit somebody to take your spot. If Tanner is putting in extra work on football versus the wedding then it probably won't happen. Or it never had a chance even if one of the next guys up is a Trevor Lawrence clone. But just throwing stuff against the wall.

The question on everyone's mind is if PJ has the balls to elevate anyone over Tanner.

Love Tanner but it appears coach treats the QB position differently from other positions, maybe he doesn't, but it appears that way.

Everyone is emphasizing the size of the new QB's, yet we just had a 6'5 and 6'3 QB leave. Morgan is probably the slowest of all of them, yet he is the one starting.

The question on everyone's mind is if PJ has the balls to elevate anyone over Tanner.

Love Tanner but it appears coach treats the QB position differently from other positions, maybe he doesn't, but it appears that way.
He does treat this differently. Western Michigan recruit follows to Mn sight unseen. Cinderella story in ‘19. Dad dying. PJ bobo. Morgan will start and won’t get pulled for performance in ‘22 even if he is sub par.

If Tanner looks like he did in 2019 would you all be happy or is that not good enough?

If Tanner looks like he did in 2019 would you all be happy or is that not good enough?

It would be great.
What do you think the odds are of that?

It would be great.
What do you think the odds are of that?
All joking aside....I guess it all depends how big the "Sanford factor" was. I believe it was a pretty big factor.

Everyone is emphasizing the size of the new QB's, yet we just had a 6'5 and 6'3 QB leave. Morgan is probably the slowest of all of them, yet he is the one starting.
He’s probably faster than Tom Brady.

Morgan's last 8 games last year his completion % was 64%. The beginning of the year was a Sanford disaster.

64% is respectable for a Big Ten QB - would have been 4th in the Big Ten with that percentage.

He was 67% in 2019.

Don't forget that Morgan lost his dad last Summer. Playing a season of football for the first time had to be an emotional rollercoaster. Doing it with a poorly called offense and not having your father to lean into for emotional and mental guidance must have been tough. Looking forward to see what Morgan does this year with time to adjust and an OC that knows how to get the most out of him and WR's.

Morgan's last 8 games last year his completion % was 64%. The beginning of the year was a Sanford disaster.

64% is respectable for a Big Ten QB - would have been 4th in the Big Ten with that percentage.

He was 67% in 2019.
I think he will have a good year again with a better designed offense and better receivers again but it will be interesting to see how short his leash may be if he does struggle. I think the back ups this year could push for some time.

None on these guys will make make it to the next level as a QB from Minnesota. You need an elite arm for the next level. Accuracy is the name of the game.

None on these guys will make make it to the next level as a QB from Minnesota. You need an elite arm for the next level. Accuracy is the name of the game.
I think Knuth has the physical traits to be an NFL QB. Whether he has the accuracy and game sense remains to be seen.

I think Knuth has the physical traits to be an NFL QB. Whether he has the accuracy and game sense remains to be seen.
He is around 6'4" , built like a basketball player. He had around 25 interceptions the last two years in HS playing against SD competition. The QB that just transferred was 6'5" and had like 10,000 yards playing in Texas. We will see how he does.

He is around 6'4" , built like a basketball player. He had around 25 interceptions the last two years in HS playing against SD competition. The QB that just transferred was 6'5" and had like 10,000 yards playing in Texas. We will see how he does.
He had 54 TDs and 17 INT combined the last 2 seasons.

He had 54 TDs and 17 INT combined the last 2 seasons.
He had 17 INT's his junior year. He runs around a 4.6 forty, nice speed. I am sure the 2021 QB is just as fast.

high school stats are irrelevant

He had 17 INT's his junior year. He runs around a 4.6 forty, nice speed. I am sure the 2021 QB is just as fast.
Not sure where you are getting your stats or the negativity (or your agenda) from but the kid attempted 251 passes his senior year and had 5 interceptions 26 passing TDS rushed for over 500 yards and another 14 TDs rushing. From the looks of him he runs like a deer, has a canon and likes contact. 6'4" 207 pounds the last time anyone weighed him. And a basketball body? What is that? Looks like a kid who has NFL potential and we are very lucky to have had in our backyard or I dont think we would have gotten him. Cant wait to see him and Athan battle it out.

Not sure where you are getting your stats or the negativity (or your agenda) from but the kid attempted 251 passes his senior year and had 5 interceptions 26 passing TDS rushed for over 500 yards and another 14 TDs rushing. From the looks of him he runs like a deer, has a canon and likes contact. 6'4" 207 pounds the last time anyone weighed him. And a basketball body? What is that? Looks like a kid who has NFL potential and we are very lucky to have had in our backyard or I dont think we would have gotten him. Cant wait to see him and Athan battle it out.
I have not seen him play, I think Athan is more of an athlete. they both check many boxes, it will be fun to see how they do.

Just hoping any of these guys can step in when needed. Throwing the ball further than 45 yards will be an added bonus. No disrespect to TM, I think he is one of the better QB's we have had when things are going right.

Top Bottom