Big Ten Football: Early 2022 QB Preview and Rankings (#8. Tanner Morgan)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Steven:

8. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota
The return of coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca should provide a boost for Minnesota’s offense.

Minnesota

Projected 2022 Starter: Tanner Morgan

Morgan is set to return for his fifth year as Minnesota’s No. 1 quarterback in 2022. And in good news for the senior, Kirk Ciarrocca is back as the play-caller. Ciarrocca guided Morgan to his best season in Minneapolis in ’19, as the Kentucky native threw for 3,253 yards and 30 touchdowns to just seven interceptions.

Key Spring Storylines: Minnesota connected on just four completions of 40-plus yards last season, so Ciarrocca needs to find ways to spark the downfield connections again.

Go Gophers!!

at this point, Morgan is who he is.

the real question is what will the offensive line look like?

If the O-line is decent, the Gophers should have a solid offense. there are enough playmakers at WR, TE and RB.

But, if the O-Line doesn't come through, well.............

I always try to envision how someone might do with the same supporting cast, eg Casey Thompson at Texas had all-world talent and did just ok. He lost his job to Quinn Ewers. Big question mark. Cade Mcnamara has a nice arm but is jittery and makes some really bad decisions. He did “OK” considering the talent around him. How would he look at a mid to low end team. Not sure. Clifford isn’t very good IMO. Hard to argue too much with the other people in front of Morgan. He had a bad year (but still decent in the pantheon of MN quarterbacking).

The new OC won’t put him in horrible down and distance situations, or refuse to pass on first down. I predict a bounce back year, probably nice if the offensive line isn’t horrible. No idea there.

Ciarrocca hopefully will get the offense going in the right direction. Starts at the top (Ciarrocca) and believe he'll do a better job than what has taken place recently.

I could see him at 6 but no higher. Hopefully he can return to his 2019 passing form. I hope some of the other QB’s get a look and some significant playing time.

How do you start for 4-5 years and be rated at the bottom of the conference?

How do you start for 4-5 years and be rated at the bottom of the conference?

By Athlon. It’s just throwing darts at the wall. Blue blood projected starters towards the top, consistent producers behind them, inconsistent players, then true unknowns (unless highly rated).

Rated 8th with as much playing time as Morgan has had is hugely disappointing, with his experience he should be no lower than 4th.......hope these guys are wrong.
They often are.

O'Connell overrated @ 2 - Bell leaving is huge.

McNamara/McCarthy combo overrated @ 3 - If you think you have two great QBs, you actually have none as the saying goes.
Harbaugh situation may be a big distraction all season.

Thompson or whoever starts for NE overrated @ 6 - OL is a big ?

Tagovailoa underrated @ 5 - May be second best behind Stroud.

Morgan with Captain Kirk calling the shots may be underrated @ 8. Running game will have an impact on Morgan's numbers!

Rated 8th with as much playing time as Morgan has had is hugely disappointing, with his experience he should be no lower than 4th.......hope these guys are wrong.
Agreed, but to state the obvious, it's not how he starts, it's how he finishes. If Dylan Wright can be a most/ every down receiver, I think this offense has the potential to be explosive. Especially if we can get one of the opposition's safeties to sneak up/ peak into the backfield on run support. I think that coach Ciarrocca will have some new wrinkles after the year at Penn State and another at WVU as an analyst. I know that he had to add more TE play with Pat Freiermuth to his schemes. With BSF I think this offense has the potential to be dominant.

If the O-line is decent, the Gophers should have a solid offense. there are enough playmakers at WR, TE and RB.

Tanner has been putting in extra work this off-season. Getting his receivers involved in the workouts too. Let's hope it pays off.

ASU’s Jayden Daniels just entered the free agent market. Go get him, PJ. Have a pretty good team returning, here’s a chance to get a difference-maker at QB

I think Tanner has the skills to be a top tier QB. Let's see what happens. He's our starter, I don't believe anything will change that.

McNamara/McCarthy combo overrated @ 3 - If you think you have two great QBs, you actually have none as the saying goes.

Morgan with Captain Kirk calling the shots may be underrated @ 8. Running game will have an impact on Morgan's numbers!
It’s basically stroud 1
Anyone else 2-14
Everyone is either average or has never played.
Tago might have the most upside to be 2 but he is a human turnover in 3-4 games a year

😂 Yeah, OK. Source was well placed, anal-adjacent.

“Mertz has showed flashes of potential but finished 2021 near the bottom of the Big Ten in yards per attempt (6.9) and quarterback rating (121.3). Wisconsin was reportedly in the mix for transfer quarterback Caleb Williams”

Athlon puts out these pieces every year as talking points. They mean bring nothing new to the table and contain plenty of faulty logic put together by people on deadlines who have watched next to no film on any of these guys

Honestly, I don't know who that is.

Two years ago he was fantastic. Granted, he played with awesome WR.
Last year he wasn't very good. Granted, our WR weren't very good (somewhat due to injuries).

I actually think how good Tanner Morgan is going to be next year is kind of a wildcard. I'm not sure what he is. I'm excited about our WRs. If CAB can stay healthy and Wright can put it together, I'm pretty confident in Morgan, but we'll see.

I think O'Connell is really good and should probably be number 2. I agree on Tagovailoa, he should be #3 (but close to O'Connell).

I think O'Connell is really good and should probably be number 2. I agree on Tagovailoa, he should be #3 (but close to O'Connell).
O Connell really good. Not sure a Purdue QB has played 12 games since the Clinton administration

It’s basically stroud 1
Anyone else 2-14
Everyone is either average or has never played.
Tago might have the most upside to be 2 but he is a human turnover in 3-4 games a year
I think Stroud 1 and O'Connell 2 makes sense. After those 2 it is just a big jumble of QBs who rank out pretty much any number of ways.

I think Stroud 1 and O'Connell 2 makes sense. After those 2 it is just a big jumble of QBs who rank out pretty much any number of ways.
Yeah. McConnell and Tago are the 2-3 for me but both come with baggage (injury history and turnover history respectively)

When Morgan is good he is very good. When he is bad he is indecisive, and goes into a shell that the coaching staff contributed to in my opinion. Very rarely is he so mistake prone that he is the major cause of losses.

Top Bottom