Best Seats in TCF

Well, one might say there are no good seats in TCF Bank Stadium as that is no longer the name of the stadium. There are lots of good seats in Huntington Bank Stadium, though.

:)

Sunny side second deck between the thirties. The seats are a couple of rows in from the aisle. So, I can beat most of you bastids to the rest room and get back during first, fourth quarter, media time out without missing a play.
Either you need to schedule a visit to a Urologist or you drink a lot of beer.

Either you need to schedule a visit to a Urologist or you drink a lot of beer.
Welll…I don’t drink a ton of beer. Ha! Just don’t like to stare at the back of the visitors uniforms.

Not if the sun is out. 10-20 degree difference in how it feels. Penn State 2019 I was in shirt sleeves and the south side was still bundled up. And I'm a cold weather wimp.
Yes, one needs to be prepared. Going from the south side to north side is exactly like this...

I know that we all have strong opinions on the Sunny Side vs. Shady Side debate. Question, has anyone actually switched sides? What are your thoughts after experiencing both after a season(s)?

I posted in another thread that my boy (7) was not handling the heat well last Saturday and I had two options - move to the shady side or leave at halftime. We moved to the shady side and sat in the upper deck. It was my first time sitting in the upper deck and I loved the views of the game. Seriously thinking about moving from 115 to seats a little higher in the stadium.

I know that we all have strong opinions on the Sunny Side vs. Shady Side debate. Question, has anyone actually switched sides? What are your thoughts after experiencing both after a season(s)?

I posted in another thread that my boy (7) was not handling the heat well last Saturday and I had two options - move to the shady side or leave at halftime. We moved to the shady side and sat in the upper deck. It was my first time sitting in the upper deck and I loved the views of the game. Seriously thinking about moving from 115 to seats a little higher in the stadium.

I've had my season tickets in the upper deck on the sunny side and lower level of the sunny side and am now lower level shade side

I'd never go back to the sun side. I was warm Saturday but still comfortable. My buddy sits in the sun and said hi at halftime...he was sweating and miserable.

To me, that experience trumps being warmer on a cold day. For that, it needs to be a day game and sunny to get the benefit. There's maybe 1 or 2 games like that. Admittedly it was a great benefit during the PSU game in 2019. The shade side looked cold and bundled up.

I enjoy being more comfortable in Aug, September, maybe early Oct and then suck it up with layers for late season games.

I've had my season tickets in the upper deck on the sunny side and lower level of the sunny side and am now lower level shade side

I'd never go back to the sun side. I was warm Saturday but still comfortable. My buddy sits in the sun and said hi at halftime...he was sweating and miserable.

To me, that experience trumps being warmer on a cold day. For that, it needs to be a day game and sunny to get the benefit. There's maybe 1 or 2 games like that. Admittedly it was a great benefit during the PSU game in 2019. The shade side looked cold and bundled up.

I enjoy being more comfortable in Aug, September, maybe early Oct and then suck it up with layers for late season games.
Not the answer I was looking for (JK)... Now I am debating lower level vs. upper level and sunny vs. shade!

Thanks, I appreciate the insight!

I sit upper deck shady side. Love my seats. Views are great. My only problem is field goals are very hard to judge. I pretty much have to wait for the crowd to react on those.

Upper deck - Gopher side - 42 yard line - a few rows from the first row. Perfect viewing area - close to exit.

I've been upper deck sunny side ever since the stadium opened and with the exception of just a couple of games, I haven't regretted it once. Yeah it was hot this past Saturday but as long as you were making sure to drink water it wasn't a problem.

Last time I ventured over to the VISITORS side I took this photo:

27traub-superJumbo.jpg

I believe they were upset that someone noted that they could read…

Last edited:

This discussion comes up at least once per season and I always respond the same way. For me, and I would assume most people when given historical data, would much prefer the shady side.

That being said, there are times when being on the sunny side is an advantage. But those times are rare and it is hard to argue. Some things need to happen together for the sunny side to be an advantage, and that is rare.

1. It has to be a sunny cold day. (How many games are under cloudy sky after mid October?)

2. It has to be an 11:00 AM kickoff (by November, even 2:30 kickoff games are played under dark sky after half time, and the sun angle leaves little sun warmth after 3:00 PM).

If you are stuck in the shade on a cold day you can still use and/foot warmers to even things.

Meanwhile, to get benefit from the shady side, all you need is a day like last Saturday, and we get a Gopher Gameday like that almost every year. Sometimes multiple games like that.

I think of this debate every time I have a text exchange like this one, with my sister in law on Saturday:

1696273794989.png

This discussion comes up at least once per season and I always respond the same way. For me, and I would assume most people when given historical data, would much prefer the shady side.

That being said, there are times when being on the sunny side is an advantage. But those times are rare and it is hard to argue. Some things need to happen together for the sunny side to be an advantage, and that is rare.

1. It has to be a sunny cold day. (How many games are under cloudy sky after mid October?)

2. It has to be an 11:00 AM kickoff (by November, even 2:30 kickoff games are played under dark sky after half time, and the sun angle leaves little sun warmth after 3:00 PM).

If you are stuck in the shade on a cold day you can still use and/foot warmers to even things.

Meanwhile, to get benefit from the shady side, all you need is a day like last Saturday, and we get a Gopher Gameday like that almost every year. Sometimes multiple games like that.

I think of this debate every time I have a text exchange like this one, with my sister in law on Saturday:

View attachment 27416
This is a great post.

I love open end zone - down below the wind, not too much sun, not too much shade. 😂😂

Kiddo came instead of Mrs. Billd for this one and we're sunnyside folks.

Now Kiddo's skin tone is so light he'd disappear leaning against a Minneapolis polar bear (for the folks who worry about cold games at TCF).

Pertinent to this thread he was supposed to join a friend with tix in the shade who did not show up until the 4th quarter. Absent any meaningful skin protection the sunburn was substantial. Definitely a shake and bake game for this one.

By design I sit in the sun and this was only the 3rd game since it opened that I was envious of those sitting the shade (Cal '09 & Miami/Ohio '18 were the others). During the game I thought it was bearable, a little more breeze would have been nice.

There have been way more games when sitting in the sun was much more enjoyable than shivering in the shade. Last year alone, while those in the shade I doubt were chilly, the Colorado and Rutgers contests were ideal to be sitting in the late afternoon sunshine. Perfect.

Top Bottom