Ben Lauer broke his hand yesterday at practice and is questionable for Ohio

Educate me please! Our o-line is suffering with injuries and the coaches are running drills in practice where a lineman can sustain a concussion and a broken hand. Is this standard operating procedure? Doesn't sound like the greatest idea to me. Why not protect these guys till the game? Coach keeps saying we need to get healthy. Huh?

To be honest, broken hand can easily happen non contact (think blocking sled or dummy blocking) since the first part of engagement is to get your hands inside on the guy. All it takes is one awkward pop. That's pure bad luck. The concussion is hard to say. Really in practice there shouldn't be a big reason for an OL to be leading with his head. Unsure how it happened, but again seems like it was bad luck. Otherwise it was bad form.

Educate me please! Our o-line is suffering with injuries and the coaches are running drills in practice where a lineman can sustain a concussion and a broken hand. Is this standard operating procedure? Doesn't sound like the greatest idea to me. Why not protect these guys till the game? Coach keeps saying we need to get healthy. Huh?

Yes its pretty standard. Football is a contact sport. When players collide there is the possibility for injury. I assume you haven't been watching the games if you think that this oline is a few walk-throughs away from playing well.

They're playing football, not chess. I've heard of a receiver getting a concussion from jumping up to catch a ball, falling and hitting his head on the ground.

Unless you go to only walk throughs, things are going to happen.

OL depth

IMO, the root cause is that our o-line recruiting was head scratching for a few years. We had one class where our only recruit was Alex Mayes... not sure how that happens. The next class had Connor Mayes, Jared Weyler, and Luke Rasmussen. Mayes will be good, Weyler and Rasmussen were lightly recruited and may never play.

I am also astounded at that stat and how it has lead to such weak depth at the line. We get injuries every year so this is nothing new. Any excuses for depth at any position from here on out from this staff is all on them

IMO, the root cause is that our o-line recruiting was head scratching for a few years. We had one class where our only recruit was Alex Mayes... not sure how that happens. The next class had Connor Mayes, Jared Weyler, and Luke Rasmussen. Mayes will be good, Weyler and Rasmussen were lightly recruited and may never play.

I am also astounded at that stat and how it has lead to such weak depth at the line. We get injuries every year so this is nothing new. Any excuses for depth at any position from here on out from this staff is all on them

The 2013 class was a bit odd taking only 1 OL - Alex Mayes. (Also Chad Fahning and Matt Leidner as walkons).

But the 2014 class we did take 3 OL and lost a couple other instate kids - Ragnow (Arkansas) and Hassenauer (Alabama). (Also took Oldenkamp as a walkon)

The funny thing is, I remember a few years ago, people on GH were debating on whether we had too many OL on the roster. Apparently you can never have too many linemen!

Outside of that 2013 class, it seems like we've taken our fair share of OL. Where are we on our depth chart now, playing linemen 8-10+ on the depth chart? I'm not going to look up other teams, but I guessing that most teams don't have 2 full OL's worth of depth and would struggle.

The 2013 class was a bit odd taking only 1 OL - Alex Mayes. (Also Chad Fahning and Matt Leidner as walkons).

But the 2014 class we did take 3 OL and lost a couple other instate kids - Ragnow (Arkansas) and Hassenauer (Alabama). (Also took Oldenkamp as a walkon)

The funny thing is, I remember a few years ago, people on GH were debating on whether we had too many OL on the roster. Apparently you can never have too many linemen!

Outside of that 2013 class, it seems like we've taken our fair share of OL. Where are we on our depth chart now, playing linemen 8-10+ on the depth chart? I'm not going to look up other teams, but I guessing that most teams don't have 2 full OL's worth of depth and would struggle.

Yeah they're not getting dividends from their OL investments that is for sure.

For the 2014 class, 2 of the 3 were last minute back-up options. I believe both Weyler and Rasmussen committed in December or January. The fact that they are both already being passed up by true freshman who have been on-campus for about 3 months tells me the chance either ever sees the field is slim...

So we've had some bad luck with injuries on the o-line, and it's been compounded by the fact that we didn't recruit very well at the position for 2 classes.

Some guys just get the injury bug. Lauer is one of them unfortunately.
That is just BS! Since there is a high number of injuries in the sport of football, it is inevitable that some players will have more than their fair share. That does not mean that certain players are predisposed to injury or that the past will be repeated in the future.

Lauder was absolutely abused in the Kent State game. Just horrendous.

A healthy Freshman might be a big improvement. He was terrible last Saturday

Top Bottom