Ben Johnson is a Disaster

What do you think Ben is doing right now?
Whatever he's doing, he's doing it the right way.

In all seriousness this sucks. I finally start getting excited and was happy to be so wrong. I think we'll know more April 1st.

Whatever he's doing, he's doing it the right way.

In all seriousness this sucks. I finally start getting excited and was happy to be so wrong. I think we'll know more April 1st.
Can you ask Brian if he will still come here?

You sum up the entirety of the Minnesota sports fan in that single statement.
Can you find me a single example of a coach OR AD signing a multi-year extension and then getting fired a month later for anything other than a massive scandal?

Unless you have billionaire's subsidizing NIL funds, even the best coaches aren't going to keep players in this free for all of free market activity.

Ben can get legitimately blamed for his coaching, but this NIL stuff is on the University and Mark Coyle, not Ben.
NIL is now a part of Ben's job though, and this is the THIRD max transfer exodus we've seen in his tenure as our HC. He was hired to come in and recruit MN players, which he has done, but there have been FIVE local guys who have transferred in the last year and that cannot be ignored. He's averaging losing over 1/3 of his team each year.

Can you find me a single example of a coach OR AD signing a multi-year extension and then getting fired a month later for anything other than a massive scandal?
Best time to start complaining to the U about their worthless AD: 1 year ago
2nd Best time to start complaining to the U about their worthless AD: Today

Take your pick

Best time to start complaining to the U about their worthless AD: 1 year ago
2nd Best time to start complaining to the U about their worthless AD: Today

Take your pick
You hate Coyle. Fine I get it. But he's not getting fired. Ben is getting fired, most likely. Either now or a year from now. Either way, Coyle will likely be the one making the hire. So that is the relevant discussion. Not your fever dream of an interim President firing the AD 3 weeks after he signed a new contract.

You hate Coyle. Fine I get it. But he's not getting fired. Ben is getting fired, most likely. Either now or a year from now. Either way, Coyle will likely be the one making the hire. So that is the relevant discussion. Not your fever dream of an interim President firing the AD 3 weeks after he signed a new contract.
Don't hate nobody... I get it - Coyle has a "pass" with you. I just hope that after another couple of coaches you guys will see the light.

Don't hate nobody... I get it - Coyle has a "pass" with you. I just hope that after another couple of coaches you guys will see the light.

Coyle has been the best AD the Gophers have had in a long time. And he does get a 'pass' for Ben because the former president limited the candidate pool, and was the reason Ben was hired.

Coyle's job is not in any danger, and hopefully he'll get to make his own basketball hire sooner than later.

Coyle has been the best AD the Gophers have had in a long time. And he does get a 'pass' for Ben because the former president limited the candidate pool, and was the reason Ben was hired.

Coyle's job is not in any danger, and hopefully he'll get to make his own basketball hire sooner than later.
He has done nothing for basketball. Look at his record.

As for accusing him of rolling over and screwing over the basketball fans in 2020 by not demanding a quality coach of the Committee - I would like to see your evidence.

My evidence shows he has defended his decision to refer Ben as a candidate in the first place, HE decided to skip interviewing other candidates, was speaking to Ben long before he got it, he defended the overall committee's decision and that Ben has his full confidence.

Coyle can only be a liar or bad at his job at this point.

There are plenty of ADs out there that would have publicly resigned if they were being forced to go against their values.

Patiently waiting for the CBJ blowhards to come out. I mean what are we waiting for now? We were told year 3, watch out! Cool back door NIT. But just wait the soph class! Ohh they're basically all gone? But But Izzo said we were great! Or maybe NIL it's not fair!

Face it, CBJ is a horrible coach. I'm not saying we are a sleeping giant but we are better than this. Move on!
100% agree. I would say that the actions taken today by those players who have went into the portal as well as those who left last year vindicates those who have been steadfast in their argument against Johnson. It is certainly time now for a change.

Read it last night. Reading more just now it sounds like it was everything. Angry about not starting earlier, wants to be featured more, and thinks he deserves to get paid with the big boys. And there will be more....
Like I said in an earlier post, most of the time, the seeds of discontent are sown long before money ever creeps into the equation. One of your primary functions as a leader is to have a good feel for these kinds of things before it gets to the point of sheer frustration. Once that happens and they start looking, the leader has already lost them.

He has done nothing for basketball. Look at his record.

As for accusing him of rolling over and screwing over the basketball fans in 2020 by not demanding a quality coach of the Committee - I would like to see your evidence.

My evidence shows he has defended his decision to refer Ben as a candidate in the first place, HE decided to skip interviewing other candidates, was speaking to Ben long before he got it, he defended the overall committee's decision and that Ben has his full confidence.

Coyle can only be a liar or bad at his job at this point.

There are plenty of ADs out there that would have publicly resigned if they were being forced to go against their values.

LOL, yeah people in high paying positions love to be publicly insubordinate. That usually works out well for them, just like it did for Tracy Claeys.

There's evidence of how this went down all over this site, with links to articles because this has all been discussed before. I'm sure Coyle's master plan was to fire Richard Pitino and replace him with one of his failed assistants who was turned down for a head coaching job by multiple low level programs.

Coyle wanted to interview others including Dutcher and Smith, but wasn't allowed to. But I'm sure it was totally only his decision to immediately hire someone with no experience, and who wasn't in demand, rather than waiting to interview other candidates that were still coaching in the NCAA tournament.

One of your primary functions as a leader is to have a good feel for these kinds of things before it gets to the point of sheer frustration. Once that happens and they start looking, the leader has already lost them.
Very well stated and this is exactly why, despite his odd quirks, PJ Fleck is the kind of coach you want running a team.

NIL is now a part of Ben's job though, and this is the THIRD max transfer exodus we've seen in his tenure as our HC. He was hired to come in and recruit MN players, which he has done, but there have been FIVE local guys who have transferred in the last year and that cannot be ignored. He's averaging losing over 1/3 of his team each year.
It's more than just NIL. NIL may be a big part, but kids are not invested here for whatever reason with Ben's teams.

Not a good look.

It would be nice if these kids were just straight up honest on why they are leaving. Let's hear it boys, I'm sure you read this. What are you scared of?

Who is going to be the first school to stop recruiting HS kids? Save all of your resources for the portal and build an experienced team every year.
It’s football, not basketball, but Deion is effectively doing just that at Colorado. Reports are he didn’t make a single off-campus recruiting visit, and he has signed just 7 high school players in his latest recruiting class, with the bulk of the class coming in through the portal.

Why would a kid stay for little to no NIL and play for an inexperienced coach with no history of getting players to the next level? Seems like a pretty easy choice for these kids with aspirations of playing professionally

Why would a kid stay for little to no NIL and play for an inexperienced coach with no history of getting players to the next level? Seems like a pretty easy choice for these kids with aspirations of playing professionally
Why did the sign with him?

Top Bottom