Ben Johnson and this team

One more, and then I'll shut up.

On a message board, everything is fair game. People can have different opinions on all of these issues.

there is nothing wrong with discussion or debate.

But, I also think there are some posters who have a different agenda.

They decided that Ben Johnson was the wrong coach and everything they post is based on that assumption.

It's one thing to have a respectful disagreement over strategy, roster management, etc.

But, if your only reason for posting here is to remind everyone that you didn't want Johnson as the coach, what is the freakin' point of posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and.......you get the idea.

Depends on the injuries. If we have a rash of season ending injuries, before the year starts, that severely limit the roster then yeah you will probably hear the same thing from me.
Ah, depends. Prepping yourself for seasons to come, smart move!

Based on your logic, RP could still be the coach as he had a number of injuries to key players on multiple teams.

more quibbling over definitions.

how about this:

next season will bring in Ben Johnson's first full class of high school recruits.

that is clearly what Dakota meant.

I suspect you knew that, but you chose to spin it in another direction because it allows you to take another shot at Ben Johnson and the Gopher program.

Look, I'm sorry the Gophers didn't hire "your" coach, or hire the "right" coach - whatever definition for "right" you have in your head.

But, like it or not, Ben Johnson is the coach of the Gophers. You can choose to support the program, or you can choose to keep making sarcastic comments after every game. Your choice.
Correct, and it goes much deeper than a definition. Recruiting is done over years and through continuing evaluation. Recruiting is building relationships with kids, parents, and coaches.

None of that happens in a short portal opening. You look in the portal for guys who can fill a hole or otherwise strengthen your team. Then you offer and the player weighs the opportunity against other offers. No similarity to the recruiting of high school players who will eventually comprise most of the roster.

Ah, depends. Prepping yourself for seasons to come, smart move!

Based on your logic, RP could still be the coach as he had a number of injuries to key players on multiple teams.
RP did have some teams with injury issues that severely impacted their ability to compete at a high level at times. But he was also here for 8 years so injuries can't be used to explain 8 years of average to below average results. Nice try though.

more quibbling over definitions.

how about this:

next season will bring in Ben Johnson's first full class of high school recruits.

that is clearly what Dakota meant.

I suspect you knew that, but you chose to spin it in another direction because it allows you to take another shot at Ben Johnson and the Gopher program.

Look, I'm sorry the Gophers didn't hire "your" coach, or hire the "right" coach - whatever definition for "right" you have in your head.

But, like it or not, Ben Johnson is the coach of the Gophers. You can choose to support the program, or you can choose to keep making sarcastic comments after every game. Your choice.
Was Barnburner big on Craig Smith? Utah is not looking good..

RP did have some teams with injury issues that severely impacted their ability to compete at a high level at times. But he was also here for 8 years so injuries can't be used to explain 8 years of average to below average results. Nice try though.
Ah, different explanations(excuses) for different coaches. Well done!

Some - I think this is another "definition" issue.

How do you define a "bad" team?

To me, a bad team is more than just the win-loss record. it's subjective. it deals with how they play, and how they look on the court.

to be sure, the Gophers were not a good team. I could live with "poor" - but I would not call them a "bad" team.

To me, a bad team is one that consistently loses by 20+ point margins. A team that looks like it has no clue what is going on. A team that quits. A team that doesn't listen to the coach, or is unable to take what they work on in practice and carry that into the game.

The Gophers may have been a poor team, but I don't think they were a "bad" team - based on my definition of bad.

You may define "bad" differently. Fine, that's your right. But, it would help if we knew more about what a "bad" team is from your point of view.
I define a bad team is a team that loses a lot of games. For instance a team that lost the most games against similar competition (like getting last place in their conference). And I have defined bad as a team that loses a lot of games since December.

The team lost by 10 or more 11 times.
meaning gophers +10 was under .500 in conference.

I expect a lot of this on this board over the next few years.
This has gotta be one of the only places on earth that me calling a last place team a bad team is controversial.
Me saying the guy who offers the scholarships is somewhat responsible for who is on scholarship.

, what is the freakin' point of posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over .
I would agree that message boards are a waste of time. And that is why I am on one, to kill time.
I have no agenda.

I didn’t like the Johnson hire because I thought we should’ve made a real big boy hire. I am on the record of that. I am also on the record that I preferred Johnson to Craig smith. I am also on the record that this might be the worst roster relative to big ten competition assembled in gopher basketball history. I also think part of the reason they hired Johnson was Because it was a low risk hire. If year 3 looks like year 1 it is easy to break free and hire in a better financial situation. If year 3 looks great you’ve found your coach for the next 40 years.

I am excited to see what the roster looks like next year. He seems to be able to coach the team above their talent. He coached them from clearly 14th to tied for 14th with some good non conference wins.

If we can get the talent to the 4-7 range maybe we win the conference.

Ah, different explanations(excuses) for different coaches. Well done!
Different explanations for different situations would be more accurate.

You know, having different expectations for an 8th year coach than you would for a first year coach. Stuff like that.

Different explanations for different situations would be more accurate.

You know, having different expectations for an 8th year coach than you would for a first year coach. Stuff like that.
Stuff like injuries to players, key players!!!! Stuff like that!!!!

Injuries long before year 8. Be accurate.

We hired Pitino’s protege and we got similar results. Ben is part of Pitino’s failure and many here are surprised. Facts are facts
Yep, one year in the books, may as well just pull the plug now....guaranteed repeat....I mean sure Ben's coaching style looked very different than Pitino's....but no disputing the facts.....Ben worked for Pitino therefore Ben is going to fail.....iron clad stuff there.

until proven otherwise at least
Ya true, at least he's 1 for 1 on getting 3 players from Minnesota in the same recruiting class. Pitino was 1 for 8. Not that we need to focus on just getting Minnesota players, we all know how difficult it was watching all these MN players have success elsewhere.

On a message board, everything is fair game. People can have different opinions on all of these issues.

They decided that Ben Johnson was the wrong coach and everything they post is based on that assumption.

It's one thing to have a respectful disagreement over strategy, roster management, etc.

But, if your only reason for posting here is to remind everyone that you didn't want Johnson as the coach, what is the freakin' point of posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and.......you get the idea.
Makes you wonder how crappy some peoples lives are to just want to constantly troll and throw out snide comments. I respect everyone’s right to have their opinions but it’s clear there are a couple posters who have no interest in giving Johnson a fair chance to prove himself.

So it’s ok to disagree with each other but not Coyle Joan or the board of regents? Got it!

Makes you wonder how crappy some peoples lives are to just want to constantly troll and throw out snide comments. I respect everyone’s right to have their opinions but it’s clear there are a couple posters who have no interest in giving Johnson a fair chance to prove himself.
Agreed!!

I think it's safe to say that we got a whole bunch of posters where the opposite of this is true, probably a lot higher number!

I think it's safe to say that we got a whole bunch of posters where the opposite of this is true, probably a lot higher number!
I think it SHOULD be safe to say regardless of how you feel about the hire the roster wasn’t very good this year as proven by the fact that many are taking a last place finish as a positive.
And it SHOULD be safe to say this is the team Johnson assembled. Because it is.

I think it SHOULD be safe to say regardless of how you feel about the hire the roster wasn’t very good this year as proven by the fact that many are taking a last place finish as a positive.
And it SHOULD be safe to say this is the team Johnson assembled. Because it is.
Now I feel bad that you feel unsafe.

Top Bottom