Ben Is the Coach - We Need Some Patience

There are teams, such as WI, that does not have great quickness and they still play excellent team defense. We have good enough athletes to be a much better defensive team. So many mental and effort errors.
As a matter of fact, I paid close attention to this Sunday. Their players might not have great natural lateral quickness, but lateral movement is definitely a point of emphasis in their scheme and skills coaching. They move laterally very well, and that's a key--if not THE key--to their success.

I love when people preach to Gopher fans to be patient. WE'RE MORE THAN FN PATIENT!!! We've advanced past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament 1 time since 1990. 1 TIME!!!!!!!! We haven't been a Rose Bowl since JFK was in office. JFK!!!!!!!

There's not a P5 fan base more patient than us. It's getting a bit old though.

Go Gophers!!
Sorry Bleed, I couldn’t help myself-

What's done is done. We hired the wrong guy. Unless some more players leave Ben is coaching in year 3 for certain. He is just not going to get fired because Dennis Evans leaves or because we only win one game. From that reality, I'm saying patience.
I'm not saying patience because I see progress on the horizon.
In essence, you're preaching patience because we're a helpless, captive audience. But what does that actually mean? Meekness and passivity? Holding our tongue on this board because complaining is an exercise in futility? What exactly are we supposed to say and not say, then? What are we allowed to do and not do? Think and not think? I need to know.

There are teams, such as WI, that does not have great quickness and they still play excellent team defense. We have good enough athletes to be a much better defensive team. So many mental and effort errors.
with Thorson on staff this was one area where we shouldnt have any issues......at least we all thought anyway

the mental lapses on this team on defense is pathetic and just cant happen at this level.
A ton of this has been done by freshman but the fact that they havent learned from these mistakes is a scary thought

but its the things like not stopping the ball in transition and letting the ball handler dribble all the way to the hoop......Cooper (slow & effort) and Battle (lack of effort) are the 2 worst at that.

now they certainly havent practiced much in the last couple weeks with all the games....but its been the same all season. its like the coaches dont teach and the players dont learn anything at the practices they have

You make a good point that Ben gets major credit for recruiting Evans, building the relationship, and gaining his trust. That was phenomenal.

But I'm not sure all of the blame for his withdrawal can be laid to big NIL money.

Evans liked Ben. He made his own decision to play for Coach Johnson at the University of Minnesota. It is very possible he would have held firm against family pressure if only we could have shown something with this team. Had we been competitive in more games, won a handful in conference play, maybe it would have been enough.

Ben showed he can recruit at the highest level. But he didn't coach a competitive team. Evan's loss is partly on Ben.
Recruit at the highest level?????? What?

And that made me wonder with Evans. He was averaging 14 points in high school at 7'1"

He would not have helped the scoring much at all.
USAF is correct, the biggest deficiency on this team is wretched shooting and offensive skill in general. You can't win by needing your defense to hold Big Teams to under 60 points.

However, Evans was the one guy whose presence alone might have dramatically improved the defense. It is impossible to count the lay ups given up by this team. Evans most likely would have put a stop to much of that.

USAF is correct, the biggest deficiency on this team is wretched shooting and offensive skill in general. You can't win by needing your defense to hold Big Teams to under 60 points.

However, Evans was the one guy whose presence alone might have dramatically improved the defense. It is impossible to count the lay ups given up by this team. Evans most likely would have put a stop to much of that.
Long term yes. Next year? I doubt he makes an impact next year at this level. I saw him as a 10 minute guy next year and then a major impact guy the following year. That's not sour grapes, as I do think it was a huge loss for the program and Ben's plan.

I love when people preach to Gopher fans to be patient. WE'RE MORE THAN FN PATIENT!!! We've advanced past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament 1 time since 1990. 1 TIME!!!!!!!! We haven't been a Rose Bowl since JFK was in office. JFK!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!
You nailed it, bud. I steadfastly believe there's such thing as being too patient, and I think that's what we've been.

Make no mistake, all our competitors in this league and elsewhere want us to continue to be patient to a fault. They're cleaning up on our passivity.

I think it's showing an unbelievable amount of patience to give Ben Johnson three years. We all realize that he'll get a third year.

There aren't too many jobs on the planet that you can get hired and do worse than anyone has ever done in the history of the company and keep a job for three years.

We are patient.

Top 20 ranking for Evans. Not high enough for you?
In the end, it doesn’t matter because he didn’t get him. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Christie doesn’t decide to bail as well. Recruits have to see positive performance so they are confident there is a plan to get better. It’s been two years of horrible performance.

Despite an influx of talent this season the results are worse. That’s on the coaching staff. You can whine about the injuries all you want but Fox and Ihnen don’t play guard and wouldn’t have gotten this team to play better. We wouldn’t have had to play Thompson and that’s about it. We haven’t been competitive all season. Major changes are needed in order for this team to improve because a season of playing the same guys and having the same coaching staff hasn’t improved this team one bit.

Long term yes. Next year? I doubt he makes an impact next year at this level. I saw him as a 10 minute guy next year and then a major impact guy the following year. That's not sour grapes, as I do think it was a huge loss for the program and Ben's plan.
He would have been around 15 minutes a game next year, enough to have an impact on defense.

That's why we need three guys from the portal -- two guards and a post. Payne will not play more than 25 minutes on average due to fouls and need for breathers. He needs backup in place of Evans.

As a matter of fact, I paid close attention to this Sunday. Their players might not have great natural lateral quickness, but lateral movement is definitely a point of emphasis in their scheme and skills coaching. They move laterally very well, and that's a key--if not THE key--to their success.
Correct - that's just coaching. We have players who could do that, but our players are so often out of position, not in a stance to be able to move, etc.

Despite an influx of talent this season the results are worse. That’s on the coaching staff. You can whine about the injuries all you want but Fox and Ihnen don’t play guard and wouldn’t have gotten this team to play better. We wouldn’t have had to play Thompson and that’s about it. We haven’t been competitive all season. Major changes are needed in order for this team to improve because a season of playing the same guys and having the same coaching staff hasn’t improved this team one bit.
I keep asking what could have been done differently, and I keep focusing on the lack of fundamentals. With a young group like that, you have to start with the basics, and I wonder if they did. They might be trying to do too much or too complex. How many times have you heard this: a coach of a poorly-performing team decides to simplify things, and play improves. Isn't that how Joe Rossi improved the football defense miraculously, literally overnight?

Top 20 ranking for Evans. Not high enough for you?
I think he's 70th on On3. Kinda crazy how different the rankings are on him. I truthfully do not believe he's going to be a great player. Especially one that is 7' tall.

with Thorson on staff this was one area where we shouldnt have any issues......at least we all thought anyway

the mental lapses on this team on defense is pathetic and just cant happen at this level.
A ton of this has been done by freshman but the fact that they havent learned from these mistakes is a scary thought

but its the things like not stopping the ball in transition and letting the ball handler dribble all the way to the hoop......Cooper (slow & effort) and Battle (lack of effort) are the 2 worst at that.

now they certainly havent practiced much in the last couple weeks with all the games....but its been the same all season. its like the coaches dont teach and the players dont learn anything at the practices they have
You don't need to practice effort. You either bring it on game day or not. The coach either instills that ethic or he fails. Ben and Thorson did it in year 1. They failed year 2.

If Ben wants to keep this job long term, he needs to take a page from Fleck. PJ fired two friends to upgrade the team, Smith in 2018 and Sanford in '21. Ben needs to replace Thorson with a top notch assistant.

And he needs TT's scholarship along with Ramberg's.

I think he's 70th on On3. Kinda crazy how different the rankings are on him. I truthfully do not believe he's going to be a great player. Especially one that is 7' tall.
I think he's going to be pretty good, but it'll be up to him and his team how well he develops, and he needs some development. He's a bright kid, so he has that going for him.

I do think the Calvin Booth comparisons are valid, and Booth played in the NBA. Booth was also a bright kid.

Not seeing the influx of talent . Do we even have a player who would start for another Big Ten team Maybe Garcia? Payne will eventually be a good player. Is Samuel your idea of talent or for now anyway Carrington . Throw Cooper in the mix and you have three guards who can absolutely not defend anyone.

You don't need to practice effort. You either bring it on game day or not. The coach either instills that ethic or he fails. Ben and Thorson did it in year 1. They failed year 2.

If Ben wants to keep this job long term, he needs to take a page from Fleck. PJ fired two friends to upgrade the team, Smith in 2018 and Sanford in '21. Ben needs to replace Thorson with a top notch assistant.

And he needs TT's scholarship along with Ramberg's.
Firing Thorson that will do it Good grief. You need players.

Correct - that's just coaching. We have players who could do that, but our players are so often out of position, not in a stance to be able to move, etc.

Effort. They know the right position and stance. Good defense is hard work. Garcia set a good example. Few others met the test.

Go Gophers!!
Completely agree. And it's become the ad hominem, phrase of choice to continually excuse losing in the current time frame. How do we know? Because it never changes. It's always "gotta be patient" while losing season after losing season continue unabated. At this point, it's as empty a sentiment as there is.

Is he going to Minnesota?
Didn't you hear the news? A top 20 recruit who chose to play for Ben Johnson at the U of M changed his mind because he did not want to waste time on a putrid team that was not improving.

Recap: Coach can recruit at high level; coach can't get effort or improvement on the floor.

Not seeing the influx of talent . Do we even have a player who would start for another Big Ten team Maybe Garcia? Payne will eventually be a good player. Is Samuel your idea of talent or for now anyway Carrington . Throw Cooper in the mix and you have three guards who can absolutely not defend anyone.
Compared to what we had last year, on paper this was said to be a more talented team.

Firing Thorson that will do it Good grief. You need players.
Good golly little miss Molly. You may have just stumbled onto something. Hmmm, players. Might be why I said he has to free up two more scholarships from TT and Ramberg.

Firing Thorson is a different essential step.

Down the stretch it was Cooper and Battle that were getting beat, Cooper played 40 minutes from the box score and might have been tired and if so that is on Ben. I thought the freshman are improving though.

Top Bottom