Bateman wants back in per Pete Thamel

My suggestion is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. The line has always been once an agent has been signed that's it for collegiate competition. If Bateman doesn't get his waiver I understand, but he totally got screwed given the circumstances and information.

First part is true, he hired an agent. How do you know he received things of value from him? Maybe he did and maybe he stated so. I just haven't read anything. If he stated he did, then ok, another hurdle to cross.
Article I read yesterday (don't have time to find link now) stated that he apparently received an advance from his agent to cover training sessions and expenses such as rental car, housing, travel.

Article I read yesterday (don't have time to find link now) stated that he apparently received an advance from his agent to cover training sessions and expenses such as rental car, housing, travel.
Ok. Thanks

About the QB. What about the rest of the team? And who paid for Tanner’s QB trainer? The school? His family?
Dude. Numerous athletes, from across all sports, work out with personal trainers, on their dime, during off-seasons. Like I originally said, it’s not uncommon.
I can’t say who paid what for Tanner or anyone else but common sense/logic comes into play pretty easily here.
Once again, this isn’t one of those things that is up for debate. You make things way more complicated than it needs to be.

Dude. Numerous athletes, from across all sports, work out with personal trainers, on their dime, during off-seasons. Like I originally said, it’s not uncommon.
I can’t say who paid what for Tanner or anyone else but common sense/logic comes into play pretty easily here.
Once again, this isn’t one of those things that is up for debate. You make things way more complicated than it needs to be.
The subject is football, and now you switched it to all sports. I responded like I did because you made it sound like 90% of football players workout with personal trainers in the off-season, which I find highly unlikely.

Saying something like "it's not rare for a few players on the team, particularly QBs, to workout with person trainers in the off-season" would be much more precise, and better language. That would've still addressed Catechol's post #69.

The subject is football, and now you switched it to all sports. I responded like I did because you made it sound like 90% of football players workout with personal trainers in the off-season, which I find highly unlikely.

Saying something like "it's not rare for a few players on the team, particularly QBs, to workout with person trainers in the off-season" would be much more precise, and better language. That would've still addressed Catechol's post #69.
😂
Are you for real or is this just some shtick of yours? Sure, bud. I’ll be sure to run all future posts by you for approval ahead of time. 🙄
I said nothing of 90%. That’s just another example of you making assumptions on a subject you clearly know very little about.

He is an idiot that can’t help replying to virtually everything despite being wrong or shown to be clueless 90% of the time. A special kind of loser.

Averages out to about 15 posts a day, every day, since join date on profile.

Averages out to about 15 posts a day, every day, since join date on profile.
Thanks for taking the time to calculate that out. Yours looks closer to 5-10 per day? Quite obviously, that is just fine.

Lot of my posts are OTB. Hours of my life I can't get back. Regrettable.

😂
Are you for real or is this just some shtick of yours? Sure, bud. I’ll be sure to run all future posts by you for approval ahead of time. 🙄
I said nothing of 90%. That’s just another example of you making assumptions on a subject you clearly know very little about.
It was my fault. What you said in post #71 was fine.

And what I replied with in post #76 was also just fine.

A punter for ASU declared for the 2020 Draft, hired an agent, attended the combine and then went undrafted. The NCAA granted him a waiver to come back.

I don't see how they could keep Bateman out given this precedent has already been set.
I'm surprised about this. I can't remember the two guys who first came out early some years ago at the time it was unheard of to come out early. One didn't get drafted and was not allowed to come back. I believe he went to USC. Perhaps due to the fact it was a new process, they just stuck to the rule.

The case of Minnesota’s Bateman, the top returning receiver in the Big Ten, will be an interesting one. He was the league’s first opt-out on Aug. 3 and signed with an agent. Since the news of Big Ten’s reversal emerged last week, he’s returned to campus and begun practicing again. The school is still awaiting word on whether he can play in the opener against Michigan.

Bateman’s decision came before the Big Ten announced it would be postponing the 2020 season on Aug. 11, and also before the league came out eight days later and publicly said the decision wouldn’t be revisited. But it also came before the league indicated specific safety protocols, and Bateman said at the time that “health and safety” was his primary reason for the decision.

Mars said there’s a “good argument” for players like Bateman and Penn State’s Parsons, who opted out on Aug. 4. But Mars is pushing for the NCAA to look beyond the letter of the law here.

“It seems to me that this situation just cries out for a temporary change of attitude…” Mars said, “where bureaucracy is not the most important thing.”

The fact that he's already received a waiver to rejoin the team for practice, suggests to me that there's about a 99% chance he'll be cleared to play in games.
Unfortunately rejoining team for practice is normal once waiver is submitted and awaiting approval. I got that from Ryan Burns podcast today.

Its still great he is back with the team. But can't read further than that

Yes but - again - why would Fleck & co. go through the effort of even having him move back to Minny, get enrolled in school, get him back in the UMN safety protocol, and submit the waiver requests to the NCAA .... if they thought there was little to no chance??

Yes but - again - why would Fleck & co. go through the effort of even having him move back to Minny, get enrolled in school, get him back in the UMN safety protocol, and submit the waiver requests to the NCAA .... if they thought there was little to no chance??
Obviously if they thought there was no chance they wouldn't even submit a waiver.

If you have even a 5% chance to add a top 5 WR in the country do you move mountains? I would.

NCAA should just grant a blanket waiver to everyone that prematurely opted out, and declare that the blanket waiver is due to the unprecedented uncertainty in college football due to covid19. That way, they don't have to worry about having any of these situations come back to haunt them in the future when things return to normal.

It would be amazingly callous to not allow Bateman to play this year after he specifically said he was opting out due to health concerns, only to have the season re-stacked with much more elaborate health standards/rules. Sports including football but all over - from the Olympics to HS have been struggling to schedule, reschedule, etc. for a long time due to covid. It seems pretty fair to allow kids to reverse their decisions when it comes to participation.

I am cautiously optimistic for players to be reinstated. After all, the NCAA is letting all fall athletes compete without losing a year of eligibility, which is unprecedented before the season even started. It is indeed unique times, Bateman and others should have to cease all contact with their agent until after the season in order to continue to compete. Does anyone else feel like we should get going on October 10th? I am chomping at the bit. GG SUM RTB

Oct 10 would give much more cushion, potentially allow some rescheduling.

I really think teams and coaches could've been ready. There must've been a good reason to wait.

This coming weekend is when it starts to get real. SEC, ACC, and Big XII conf matches will be full throttle. Not anymore of this App St vs Marshall on ABC, crap.

I am cautiously optimistic for players to be reinstated. After all, the NCAA is letting all fall athletes compete without losing a year of eligibility, which is unprecedented before the season even started. It is indeed unique times, Bateman and others should have to cease all contact with their agent until after the season in order to continue to compete. Does anyone else feel like we should get going on October 10th? I am chomping at the bit. GG SUM RTB
I'll take it one more step.

I'm 100% sure any player that applies for reinstatement will be allowed to return. The legal fall-out for the NCAA could be its deathknell, and they know it..

Oct 10 would give much more cushion, potentially allow some rescheduling.

I really think teams and coaches could've been ready. There must've been a good reason to wait.

This coming weekend is when it starts to get real. SEC, ACC, and Big XII conf matches will be full throttle. Not anymore of this App St vs Marshall on ABC, crap.

I wondered the same too about the start time.

I do suspect teams are at varying levels of readiness right now, and they didn't want to start with team "way not ready" playing "team more ready" and it being a mess.

Maybe they wanted everyone get X time for sure knowing what the story is, then let it play out.

I'll take it one more step.

I'm 100% sure any player that applies for reinstatement will be allowed to return. The legal fall-out for the NCAA could be its death knell, and they know it..
Agree 100% To me this is a no brainer.

I think the start time for B1G comes down to 2 things:

1. Ability to hit the "Eject" button if the SEC, ACC, or Big XII start to have outbreak issues in conference games.

2. Ability to have a few weeks of full contact practice. I don't know off the top of my head how many weeks of full contact practice they have before a regular fall season, but they probably want enough time to do the same amount if possible.

I think the start time for B1G comes down to 2 things:

1. Ability to hit the "Eject" button if the SEC, ACC, or Big XII start to have outbreak issues in conference games.

2. Ability to have a few weeks of full contact practice. I don't know off the top of my head how many weeks of full contact practice they have before a regular fall season, but they probably want enough time to do the same amount if possible.

Well, just saw Notre Dame/Wake Forest game this weekend is postponed due to an outbreak on the ND team

Top Bottom