Bateman wants back in per Pete Thamel

Man, this would be HUGE to get him back, and would represent PJ's greatest recruiting coup (slightly edging out his first recruitment of Rashod). Here's hoping the NCAA will take into account the Big Ten's absolute "the matter will not be revisited" position when considering his appeal, particularly when it comes to hiring an agent.

This is the only time that I could imagine the NCAA revisiting this topic. Could see them allowing them back with a severance of their standing with their agent for time being and mandating that they move on after the season.

Shut up! Wow.

Back on-campus and enrolled for fall. I guess that answers that.

NCAA should obviously grant him a waiver. Just wonder how messy it would be, if his agent has advanced him impermissible benefits.

Man, this would be HUGE to get him back, and would represent PJ's greatest recruiting coup (slightly edging out his first recruitment of Rashod). Here's hoping the NCAA will take into account the Big Ten's absolute "the matter will not be revisited" position when considering his appeal, particularly when it comes to hiring an agent.
I think he’s enough of a Star player nationally it might work in the Gophers favor this time. Only thing working against him is he’s a WR in B1G and not a QB in the SEC

This is the only time that I could imagine the NCAA revisiting this topic. Could see them allowing them back with a severance of their standing with their agent for time being and mandating that they move on after the season.
If an entire conference can change its mind, I'd think you could make a pretty good argument that one college athlete should also be able to. Imagine all the agreements and contracts that were changed when they shut the league down. Course I might be seeing this through maroon and gold glasses. Come to think of it, in that case:
NCAA--waivers--Minnesota? Good luck in the NFL, Rashod.

Finally the alternative reality takes a turn for the better.

Good luck Rashod if true.

I read a couple of GMs (cant find it now, of course) said they would pick players that have played recently over ones that sat out. With Bateman looking to go in the top half of the draft, the higher he is picked, the better the contract. So sitting out might hurt his stock a bit if he wants to be one of the top players taken

If an entire conference can change its mind, I'd think you could make a pretty good argument that one college athlete should also be able to. Imagine all the agreements and contracts that were changed when they shut the league down. Course I might be seeing this through maroon and gold glasses. Come to think of it, in that case:
NCAA--waivers--Minnesota? Good luck in the NFL, Rashod.
Yup. Seem like a setup by the NCAA. They'll probably make us give back one of our national championships.

I would hope the NCAA has a lot of leeway for players given the crazy circumstances that have surrounded this season. As long as the player can prove they returned any money or anything else they received after signing with the agent. This is such an unprecedented situation with leagues delaying seasons and leaving players in a real limbo as to what is their best course of action.

For the U would be a massive boost to get Bateman back for one more year. I'm on record that I think we could have survived without him and been pretty good still at the WR position but doesn't take a genius to figure out that getting a potential first round NFL talent back would be awesome.

Hope it works out. Would love to get one more chance to see #13 out there making plays for the Maroon and Gold.

This needs to happen. No one needs to worry about bad precedent in 2020. Everything is a one-off.

Exactly. He needed to know what precautions would be in place for him to play safely. Given Gopher history we are long overdue for some good things to change in our favor. Bring on the deep out routes for 6 !

Top Bottom