Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm guessing so. With some generic, politically correct, response. He isn't going to get into a media war with Barker.

Yeah, wouldn't look good to get aggressive with it. This is not what the program needed right now. Who knows maybe it'll all blow over

Never a dull moment for the University of Minnesota football program. It never ends does it?

The one thing this does do is make me question how the staff is handling injuries. From Gray on, if there is something sketchy going on it needs to be corrected.

Read the quotes he uses in the letter. IF the quotes by the coaching staff are true, I put ALL blame on the coaching staff. No college walk-on should ever have to endure that.

We will probably never find out if they are true or not.

You don’t know what “*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed up things happened to me to screw me up so much as a person”?

My stock fell as a person since I got injured?

You say I’ll never earn a scholarship under you? That I don’t deserve one?

"This trains moving on with out you. When you get back, you’ll have to work your way from the bottom up."

“YOU DON’T *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ING GET TO TELL THE TRAINER WHAT YOU DO!”

Last spring before the spring game I was called a faggot for my spiritual views by Coach Reeves where other players on the team heard him say it. Coach Poore put me down the week before the UNLV, calling my play pathetic and claiming I couldn’t handle the bright lights.

If this is how you run your football program, Jerry. Take a walk.

Even in high school, I've heard all of this from various coaches to me or to others.

Just gotta know who you can press those buttons on and who you can't.

Looks like this could get national attention. Bomani Jones RT already.

@bomani_jones: "Thanks to the times we are in, I have a way of getting my story out before you blast my credibility." to jerry kill. http://t.co/wskpd4Hb

@bomani_jones: thing is, it's still one side (cont) RT @calerustad: you don't write that in a moment of rage. That's been building over a LONG time

@bomani_jones: i'm most interested in the dynamic, the idea players are selling their sides first. which is quite a shift caused by times and technology.

Looks like this could get national attention. Bomani Jones RT already.

@bomani_jones: "Thanks to the times we are in, I have a way of getting my story out before you blast my credibility." to jerry kill. http://t.co/wskpd4Hb

Yikes. No matter who is in the wrong. This is bad for our program.

Ain't going to draw any conclusions just yet, but boy this looks bad on both sides. Barker points out a lot of things that should be looked into heavily with the injuries, treatment of players, etc. But, boy Barker is probably already regretting this choice to put the letter on social media. This kid sounds like he has severe issues in the head, he had a FEW good games and he thinks he is the face of the program. No bud you're wrong on that one. Only thing that would make this situation worse is if Bielema takes him in at Wisconsin.

I am guessing that he isn't looking at Washington State.

I was also left wondering what religion makes one a "faggot". Buddhism?

Ain't going to draw any conclusions just yet, but boy this looks bad on both sides. Barker points out a lot of things that should be looked into heavily with the injuries, treatment of players, etc. But, boy Barker is probably already regretting this choice to put the letter on social media. This kid sounds like he has severe issues in the head, he had a FEW good games and he thinks he is the face of the program. No bud you're wrong on that one. Only thing that would make this situation worse is if Bielema takes him in at Wisconsin.

HA. Like Bert would be any more gracious?

Agreed. Barker seems like a very hard worker based on how far he's come, but man, quoting your moms friend about how good you are does not make you look good. He may have some legitimate points, but he comes across as a kid who believes his own hype very strongly and has people constantly telling him how wonderful and perfect he is.

The injury thing is troubling, but the more I think about this it seems Barker has a VERY high opinion of himself.

Since we will only hear one side of this story it will be hard to say what really happened. AJ can spout what he wants and the university will be very limited in what they can say in return. I really wonder on his timing on this and just what he was trying to get out of this. What purpose does this serve now? Jerry has his faults, as do all of us, but he also has done a lot of good for a lot of people over the years. If AJ really wanted to deal with this why not wait until after the season and have that meeting with Teague and his parents with Coach Kill that he is now mentioning? Instead he throws the team under the bus by making this an issue now and in this way. So AJ keeping learning and realize that you handled this in a very poor way.

Since we will only hear one side of this story it will be hard to say what really happened. AJ can spout what he wants and the university will be very limited in what they can say in return. I really wonder on his timing on this and just what he was trying to get out of this. What purpose does this serve now? Jerry has his faults, as do all of us, but he also has done a lot of good for a lot of people over the years. If AJ really wanted to deal with this why not wait until after the season and have that meeting with Teague and his parents with Coach Kill that he is now mentioning? Instead he throws the team under the bus by making this an issue now and in this way. So AJ keeping learning and realize that you handled this in a very poor way.

+1000

Sad situation. He's not related to Royce White is he?

I've got coaches back on this one, this kid sounds a little nuts to me.

Most people on here are going to naturally say whatever they can to discredit Barker, including questioning his sanity, because it would otherwise shatter the image that they have of Kill (that he has certainly helped to create). Such is the nature of fandom, and it's pretty ugly, frankly.

This is still only one side of the story, and who knows what Kill will say, but I've been suspicious about the scholarship walk-on program for a while. Kill has repeatedly deflected questions about scholarships for Barker (and others) which is a really, REALLY bad idea.

Headcase or otherwise, Barker was clearly our best offensive player this year, and should have been guaranteed a scholarship next year no matter what.

But, his mom's friend thinks AJ is the best player on the team. Wow, this is why I am glad my parents didn't coddle me... what a baby. Regardless of what happened this kid is weak.

Jerry, you are reaching the end of your rope VERY quickly. Unbelievable. Get control of your team, my friend.

That's the problem here, a jilted player decided to take his story out of the locker room and release his version to the world. Maybe we can trade Washington St. straight up for their moron receiver who did the same to Leach. AJ, you should have taken the high road, instead your prediction will come true, you'll be toxic.

Regardless of what is and isn't true this surely won't help recruiting at all and at the same time we are losing a valuable wide receiver in Barker, gotta believe this is gonna be another thing people take shots at Kill about along with getting out of the North Carolina game and the schedule fiasco. Regardless how much of the letter is true this is not a good look for the coaching staff and the program as a whole to have something like this happen.

And the thread is teetering off the rails towards lockage in.....

Gone crazy? For revealing the sick and twisted behavior so prevalent amongst many D1 football coaches? For standing up for goodness and what what he believes in? Have you spent more than two seconds learning about the history of mankind? Do you understand that in every single instance of abuse and wrong doing, there had to be individuals who stood up and told the story? Guys like you would've been on the side of the Nazis, the side of Jerry Sandusky and the otherwise respected child abusers, the side of all the hidden perpetrators of disgusting behavior who display their phony selves to the public. You're just another cog in the abusive system. What is it with people like you? You're so *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed in the head you can't see anything clearly. Please, for humanity's sake, go commit suicide.

Boo F-ing who...grow up, this is D-1 football we are talking about, and this is in no way related to Penn States sick saga!

Some thoughts from Twitter

@bomani_jones: the tricky part is for us laymen to separate what we'd find impermissible and what is...well, football.

@7Route: Breaking news yall. AJ Barker broke new ground. College coaches are, gasp, manipulators. Holy *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, who saw that one coming... #Gophers

@johnkriesel: Started to read AJ Barker whiny open letter to Jerry Kill explaining why he is asking for a transfer from the Gophers. What a crybaby.

@fatassets: Show me a college football coach who isn't a controlling, ego driven manipulator and I'll show you a unemployed coach.

@johnkriesel: If you choose to play college football you will be yelled at and berated at some point. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't play.

@FLYGOPHER5: Sometimes saying less is more.

@FromTheBarn: Royce Barker? Aj white?

@Rand_Getlin: Two D1 players in the past 8 days penned & published open letters to coaches, airing out grievances. Sign of the times.

@DarrenWolfson: Agree. RT @jdmill: After tirade will be interesting to see what program welcomes him. RT @DarrenWolfson: Think he cares about the program?

@LindsayGuentzel: AJ Barker situation is another reminder that NOT EVERYTHING needs to be on the Internet. Immature way to handle things.

@DarrenWolfson: Barker has a brother at Wisconsin. As a walk-on, he can play right away. Wisconsin loves its transfers. Hmmm.

@FLYGOPHER5: Its evident these days attention means more than respect!!

@ramzy: Someday AJ Barker will abruptly realize that he is a dime a dozen. Just like the rest of us. #tencentnation

@NadineBabu: R u saying it's factual?RT @KingMartinXVI: @NadineBabu well kill coached me so I kno and I played wit AJ so I can see some of the connection

RT @KingMartinXVI: @NadineBabu hahahaha I didn't say I jus kno the two parties

lets see...Is Coach Kill manipulating or motivating...pretty thin line between the two sometimes...he probably does not want to go into the armed forces...he will have a tough time getting through the first few weeks of boot camp...

Totally weird stuff, mostly emotion. Never make a serious life decision on emotion or alcohol. But the kid deserves a scholarship!

This was a mistake AJ. Mental toughness is a big part of playing at the college level - especially D1. There's a big mean 'ol world awaiting you out there, AJ, and you're not going to always be able to just quit when the going gets tough. The scorched earth policy never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom