Back to 17 wins to be “completely safe” heading to BTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we beat Northwestern, win 1 of our 3 remaining road games, and win 1 of Rutgers/Purdue at home I'd have to assume we'd be close to in. The road game would be a Quad 1 win, and depending how Rutgers/Purdue do the rest of the way that could be as well. That would be 5 Quad 1 wins plus St Louis. That doesn't take into account Mich St or Northwestern which would be right on the cusp of Quad 2. It would be a bad conference record but really no "bad" losses resume wise.

If we beat Northwestern, win 1 of our 3 remaining road games, and win 1 of Rutgers/Purdue at home I'd have to assume we'd be close to in. The road game would be a Quad 1 win, and depending how Rutgers/Purdue do the rest of the way that could be as well. That would be 5 Quad 1 wins plus St Louis. That doesn't take into account Mich St or Northwestern which would be right on the cusp of Quad 2. It would be a bad conference record but really no "bad" losses resume wise.
I dont see MN winning a road game. Hope I am wrong.

Penn St, Maryland, and Indiana don't exactly scream guaranteed losses to me. The way we've played on the road is frightening, but I think we can win one of those.
Not saying guaranteed, however based on road performances this year.........

Yup 15 very close....maybe in if we avoid a bad loss to northwestern or Nebraska in the big ten tourney
16 lock.

Not saying guaranteed, however based on road performances this year.........
Yeah I get what you're saying and I'm right there too. Just thinking for hope sake this seems about as realistic of an expectation as one can expect.

Penn St, Maryland, and Indiana don't exactly scream guaranteed losses to me. The way we've played on the road is frightening, but I think we can win one of those.

They do to me.

All 3 of those games carry a better chance of losing by more than 10 than they do winning at all.

Yup 15 very close....maybe in if we avoid a bad loss to northwestern or Nebraska in the big ten tourney
16 lock.

How dumb that this is what we are even talking about.

Look at Ohio State. I would have said when we played them we were the better team and we basically controlled the entire game. Ohio State kept getting better game after game. Now look at them.

We get worse game after game, maybe if we are lucky we stay the same. This happens every year.

16 lock.

15 wins is pathetic. Are we really that hard up in Minnesota for any resemblance of a solid program. We must be! Hack Pitino right now don't even wait for the end of the year and let Ed Conroy coach it from here on out.

Getting in with 15 wins is disgraceful! Kind of like getting a bowl invite with 6 wins because your graduation rate is higher than other teams.

15 wins is pathetic. Are we really that hard up in Minnesota for any resemblance of a solid program. We must be! Hack Pitino right now don't even wait for the end of the year and let Ed Conroy coach it from here on out.
What you just postulated is in no way related to what you responded to

Getting in with 15 wins is disgraceful! Kind of like getting a bowl invite with 6 wins because your graduation rate is higher than other teams.
You are bowl eligible on merit at 6 wins. You’re thinking 5.

this thread isn’t about your thoughts on the team, program, or coach. It’s about whether or not they will get into ncaa tourney. Do you disagree and think 15-16 doesn’t get them in?

The fact remains that if we defend home court, we will have 7-8 very quality wins and be solidly in

The fact remains that if we defend home court, we will have 7-8 very quality wins and be solidly in
Yeah.
To get to 15 wins it means we beat Northwestern and 2 of the following:
@penn state Net 29 (WTF - net sucks)
@ Maryland Net 43
@ Indiana net 48
Purdue net 24
Illinois net 4
Rutgers net 26

As of now, that means we will add two more quad 1 wins by getting to 15 wins

Yeah.
To get to 15 wins it means we beat Northwestern and 2 of the following:
@penn state Net 29 (WTF - net sucks)
@ Maryland Net 43
@ Indiana net 48
Purdue net 24
Illinois net 4
Rutgers net 26

As of now, that means we will add two more quad 1 wins by getting to 15 wins

Yeah, I was more referring to the fact that if we defend home court, we will have wins over three more ranked teams (and high NET) in Illinois, Purdue and Rutgers. That would have us at 16 wins, with half of those being Quad 1 (or very close). Would be a very interesting predicament for a lot of the fans on here as it would be hard to argue with that many quality wins in such a shortened season.

Yeah, I was more referring to the fact that if we defend home court, we will have wins over three more ranked teams (and high NET) in Illinois, Purdue and Rutgers. That would have us at 16 wins, with half of those being Quad 1 (or very close). Would be a very interesting predicament for a lot of the fans on here as it would be hard to argue with that many quality wins in such a shortened season.
What predicament would that record and those wins create for fans on GH?

How interesting would it be if we beat Illinois and won at say Indiana but lose the rest. We'd be what 7-12 in the Big Ten, probably a top 50 NET team, have 5 Quad 1 wins with 4 being probably top 10 NET wins, and another 1 or 2 Quad 2 wins.

How could we not be in the conversation to be in the dance?

How interesting would it be if we beat Illinois and won at say Indiana but lose the rest. We'd be what 7-12 in the Big Ten, probably a top 50 NET team, have 5 Quad 1 wins with 4 being probably top 10 NET wins, and another 1 or 2 Quad 2 wins.

How could we not be in the conversation to be in the dance?
That’s a lock tbh

That’s a lock tbh
I mean you'd think it would have to be but 7-12 in the Big Ten? What a conversation...hope it doesn't happen that way but it would be pretty interesting.

What predicament would that record and those wins create for fans on GH?

For people like yourself, I'm not sure what you'd do while we were winning those games because you'd have nothing to talk about. Also, in a regular length season, 7-8 Quad 1 wins would be considered good. So to achieve that with 1/3 of the games missing, would make viewing this season as a failure quite a stretch.

For people like yourself, I'm not sure what you'd do while we were winning those games because you'd have nothing to talk about. Also, in a regular length season, 7-8 Quad 1 wins would be considered good. So to achieve that with 1/3 of the games missing, would make viewing this season as a failure quite a stretch.
If the Vikings beat all the playoff teams in the NFC by double digits and lost their remaining games, you’d be screaming for them to fire the coach.

If the Vikings beat all the playoff teams in the NFC by double digits and lost their remaining games, you’d be screaming for them to fire the coach.

Unfortunately that's not the way college basketball works. The Gophers have a winning record and are still clearly regarded as one of the Top 40 teams in the country.

But since you brought up the Vikings, let's look at the 1987 Vikings. They finished at 8-7. They barely snuck into the playoffs. Last wild card. Yet, following that run to the NFC Title Game and coming up 2 yards short of the Super Bowl still remain very memorable. Those upsets over the Saints and then the Niners were unbelievably fun. THAT is what I remember, not what their regular season record was. I had to look up the fact that they were 8-7.

This isn't football where we are trying to get into an average bowl. The teams that get into the tournament all have a shot. I love March Madness and I just want to have a shot to watch the Gophers play in it this year. After the 2020 we had, I don't think that is aiming too low or asking too much of other fans.

I will watch the games, as I have for 4 decades.

Really interesting you mention BAGDER, yet no mention of his anti Gopher nonstop drivel, along with his blatant lies, yet do not mention me supporting RP as coach of the team until very recently.

Stirring up shit, Senior Superiority? Missing the obvious?

I will watch the games, as I have for 4 decades.

Really interesting you mention BAGDER, yet no mention of his anti Gopher nonstop drivel, along with his blatant lies, yet do not mention me supporting RP as coach of the team until very recently.

Stirring up shit, Senior Superiority? Missing the obvious?

I've had my own moments with Built in the past, but I think his insights have been pretty fair this whole season.

I mean you'd think it would have to be but 7-12 in the Big Ten? What a conversation...hope it doesn't happen that way but it would be pretty interesting.
Conference record doesn’t matter

So they say...but the committee is made up of humans, not computers.
And the humans have put teams with lower conference records above teams with better conference records FROM THE SAME CONFERENCE

Pitino in a good season gets his players to play together. Pitino does not coach his players up (can't remember seeing a player make a big improvement in their game with his coaching) or help his teams to improve (strategy). I do think he is coaching better this year (offense has better flow) but I don't seem him as a difference maker in a positive way. I wish MN could bring in a coach who could take advantage of all the Elite home grown talent and coach them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom