Back to 17 wins to be “completely safe” heading to BTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would be kind of a nice reprieve from our annual appearance on the "work left to do" category.

That sometimes token appearance on that list. I remember reading that article a few times over the last couple years wondering when they might even make it into that category.

Initial post updated through Maryland game.

If I had to guess, we meet the target for the Big Boys (easy because all we have to do is lose to Illinois), probably go half a game better in the Must Wins (8-0), and one worse in the Coin Flips (6-6). That would meet your 16-10 recent prediction for the regular season but would leave us with a sub-.500 conference record. But, if the team went 2-1 in the Big Ten tournament (like 2019) that would even up the record.

If I had to guess, we meet the target for the Big Boys (easy because all we have to do is lose to Illinois), probably go half a game better in the Must Wins (8-0), and one worse in the Coin Flips (6-6). That would meet your 16-10 recent prediction for the regular season but would leave us with a sub-.500 conference record. But, if the team went 2-1 in the Big Ten tournament (like 2019) that would even up the record.
Evening up the record doesn’t matter for ncaa tourney purposes. Without more cancelations 16 wins, and maybe even 15 wins, is in.

Evening up the record doesn’t matter for ncaa tourney purposes. Without more cancelations 16 wins, and maybe even 15 wins, is in.

Yeah, I'm not saying a .500 conference record is a must. After all, Pitino's 2019 team and Tubby's last team didn't have one. I'm just saying that finishing below .500 once again in the conference would be disappointing after a promising start where the team beat 2 top ten conference teams and another conference team currently ranked just below that.

Man I wanted this one, but at least I got a nice nap in while the second half was on.

After tonight's ugly second half, the Gophers are now 3-3 in Hodger's "Flip a Coin" bucket.

Go Gophers!!

Initial post updated through Purdue game.

Gophers appear intent on wasting all those early quality wins. Selection Sunday is starting to get dicey. .... buckle up folks!

15-11, 8-11 feels about right. I can't imagine that will be good enough.

I'd say anywhere between a 9-11 seed. I'll keep 'em in the tournament for now.

With the couple high quality wins the Gophers have and looking at some other current bubble resumes right now I'd say get to 9 B1G wins and you are in and even probably with 8 you'd sneak in.
Now I hope this team can show some toughness and not put itself in a position to have to worry about that but we will see if this team can show any kind of response at Rutgers.

With the couple high quality wins the Gophers have and looking at some other current bubble resumes right now I'd say get to 9 B1G wins and you are in and even probably with 8 you'd sneak in.
Now I hope this team can show some toughness and not put itself in a position to have to worry about that but we will see if this team can show any kind of response at Rutgers.
The Illinois game will be huge. If we have wins against 4 of the top five teams it will go along way vs other bubble teams.

Well, a team shouldn't get in with 8 Big Ten wins (unless they had multiple cancellations) but Ohio State got in two years ago with 8 wins so it's definitely possible.

Updated through Rutgers game.

Season’s over if they choke against Nebraska.

I still think they get in at 16 wins and maybe at 15

Do you?

I don’t know if they get to 15
Assuming no Nebraska make-up game, I think 16 is a lock. And I agree with you, 15 isn't out of the question, but that would likely have to include a win over Illinois. Need to throw a road win (or 2) in there somewhere, too.

I can see 8-0 or 9-0 (if rescheduled) in the Must, and 2-4 in the Big.

It's those five games in the Flip. I just don't know ...

Initial post updated through Nebraska game.

Two all-important “flip a coin” games (Purdue, @ Maryland) await to finish out the week.

What if we close the season winning 7 of the last 8? It could happen.
(Just to be clear: I'm not saying it will) ha
If we could pick the right games to shoot better, play better....you can't predict these guys.
Lots of nights (the vast majority) we must be the worst shooting team in college basketball...yet we made 16 3's one night...will it happen again? Maybe vs Illinois?
We have four home games left...beat Illinois...win the other 3...at least we'd be breathing in the dance discussion.

Last edited:

Coming into today, the AP Top 4 (Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan & Ohio St) was a combined 63-5, and the Gophers were responsible for 2 of 5 Ls. If they fail to make the NCAA Tournament, it would be a tremendous fail. Ya think?
Yes. Inconsistency at the level the Gophers show it is unacceptable, falls on the coaches heavily, and is why Pitino will be gone.

It takes some real coaching to take a team capable of blowing out 2 top four teams and getting them to play the way they have the past seven games.

It takes some real coaching to take a team capable of blowing out 2 top four teams and getting them to play the way they have the past seven games.
I would say the talent level of the team is closer to the last 7 than those two.

we are just mediocre. A mediocre team can beat a good team on a bad day for them. A mediocre team can lose to another mediocre team on a good day for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom