Back to 17 wins to be “completely safe” heading to BTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now in a death match with the Spartans for a first-round bye in the BTT. Hard to imagine a Wednesday participant being in NCAA contention.

Now in a death match with the Spartans for a first-round bye in the BTT. Hard to imagine a Wednesday participant being in NCAA contention.
The league could end up getting 11 bids...so by definition not that hard to imagine.
If Minnesota wins 3-4 more
Michigan state wins 4-5 more (this is the hardest to imagine given their brutal schedule...but the schedule is also why they aren’t dead)
Indiana wins 3-4 more
Maryland wins 3-4 more

big ten gets 11 bids.

Put this thread to bed. It's embarrassing.

Put this thread to bed. It's embarrassing.
It’s amazing to me how fans don’t understand how bad bubble teams are year in and year out.
Minnesota is a mediocre team. But right now they’d be in.
If they go 3-1 against the easiest stretch of schedule all year, they’ll be in the mix. If they go 4-0 they’re a lock.
They’d have 2 road wins and maybe the best batch of quality wins for any 10-12 seed in the history of the tourney.

I think they probably go 1-3...but the thread isn’t ridiculous

It’s amazing to me how fans don’t understand how bad bubble teams are year in and year out.
Minnesota is a mediocre team. But right now they’d be in.
If they go 3-1 against the easiest stretch of schedule all year, they’ll be in the mix. If they go 4-0 they’re a lock.
They’d have 2 road wins and maybe the best batch of quality wins for any 10-12 seed in the history of the tourney.

I think they probably go 1-3...but the thread isn’t ridiculous
It's ridiculous because it means nothing.....Short of a final four run, Pitino is canned and the program starts over next year...The bubble speculation is pointless for a dead man walking coached team.

It's ridiculous because it means nothing.....Short of a final four run, Pitino is canned and the program starts over next year...The bubble speculation is pointless for a dead man walking coached team.
The bubble determines if the team I like to watch plays in the tournament I like to watch?

If you don’t want the gophers to make the tourney and don’t care...I don’t understand how you care enough to post?

The bubble determines if the team I like to watch plays in the tournament I like to watch?

If you don’t want the gophers to make the tourney and don’t care...I don’t understand how you care enough to post?
I care that the program moves on from this failure of a coach and Coyle is committed to a winning program....Eking into the tourney as an 11 seed and getting drilled in the first round should not excite anyone.

I care that the program moves on from this failure of a coach and Coyle is committed to a winning program....Eking into the tourney as an 11 seed and getting drilled in the first round should not excite anyone.
If you never get excitement watching the games, why do you watch them?

I too think they move on, but I also continue to watch the games because I enjoy it. You seem like you don’t

If you never get excitement watching the games, why do you watch them?

I too think they move on, but I also continue to watch the games because I enjoy it. You seem like you don’t
I get excited about watching a well coached , fundamentally sound team...Something we have seen very rarely here...Wake me up when it happens.

If Minnesota wins 3-4 more
Just like, "if we beat Illinois, then ..." (not you, more like a lot of people were saying things like that).

no-country-for-old-men-tommy-lee-jones1-759x500.jpg

I think, GG, you need to tell us your top 5 hires, in order, so we have a point of reference moving forward. You have no problem hammering all things RP, so let's have it.

It's hard to avoid the probability that this team is going to have some lifting to do in the conference tournament.

It's hard to avoid the probability that this team is going to have some lifting to do in the conference tournament.
I don’t think it’ll come down to it.
They are about to play the easiest part of the schedule. I don’t really see them going 2-2 and needing 2-3 big ten wins.

they’re either going to get their stuff together and go 3-1 or 4-0 and be in.

or they’re going to go 0-4 or 1-3 and need to win the tourney to get in

This is bleak.

Yeah if they keep losing they’ll be out. If they win 3/4 they’ll be in the tourney

if they’re close, they’ll get in due to likely having 3 wins against teams that’ll be seeded 1-3

But if they keep losing they won’t be close enough to matter

Their net will probably drop after the next two games even if they win. A loss to either NW or Nebraska is fatal IMO.

Their net will probably drop after the next two games even if they win. A loss to either NW or Nebraska is fatal IMO.
If they win @nebraska the net is so broken we will probably all of a sudden see ourselves in the 30s again

because a road win against Nebraska is more valuable than a home win against penn state

I don’t think it’ll come down to it.
They are about to play the easiest part of the schedule. I don’t really see them going 2-2 and needing 2-3 big ten wins.

they’re either going to get their stuff together and go 3-1 or 4-0 and be in.

or they’re going to go 0-4 or 1-3 and need to win the tourney to get in

I want them in. Very bad I do. But I see the most likely scenario as 2-2. Wins against NW and Nebraska and losses at Penn State and to Rutgers at home. This team has mostly given up and so has their coach. Not liking our chances, but I will still root for them to get in.

March madness is so much better when the Gophers are in it.

4 wins and they are in. 3-1 and I think they need a win in BTT. 2-2 or worse and they will probably need to make the finals or win the BTT. Lets go 4 - 0 and put it to bed!

I don't think we win at Penn State.

We could grab the other 3 though. It just seems hard to imagine that at this point. For as frustrating as the season has gone, we're not a terrible team. Northwestern and Nebraska are bad. Rutgers isn't great and we've got em at home where I still think we're decent. The problem is I think all of these teams might care more than we do, and if that's the case then it's trouble.

I so badly want us to succeed and for us to get a new coach, how can we ensure this happens?

If only we cheered for a team where we could make the NCAAs win a first round game and then get bounced and fire the coach.

but that never happens...….twice

Gabe is out for the rest of the regular season. That's bad.

With Robbins having been playing on a bad ankle the last few games, i dont think 5 days will do anything to get him more than 30%. When you play on an injured part of your body, even with a few days rest in between, your body just cant heal. In fact, he was probably making it worse.

I want them to be in the tourney, but honestly, I'll be shocked if they make it.

I honestly think Gabe was sort of the glue for the team from an intensity stand point.

So we have to win out to get to the magic 17 win mark prior to the B1G tournament.

Northwestern - Injuries alone make this a hard game to predict. A full strength squad would have this in the bag one would think, but who knows this year. I expect a closely fought victory. 55% chance of winning.

@ Nebraska - Um, it's a road game. But, it is Nebraska! Maybe the Gophers get a 90% healed Robbins for this game and pass him the ball inside and get 40 FT attempts like they should. this is a 50-50 game here.

@ Penn State - Nothing is ever easy in Happy Valley. Even when PSU really really stinks we struggle to win at Happy Valley. I give us a 37.5% chance of stealing victory from the clutches of defeat in this one. In other words, if we win, it won't be pretty.

Rutgers - Let's face it. Rutgers plays hard Pat Riley Knicks type basketball. The Gophers try to play Loyola Marymount Paul Westhead type basketball without the shooting ability. Which means while the Gophers almost certainly will NOT WIN this game. They most likely will not get blown out. Look for a long boring game where the Gophers never hold a lead except for maybe in the early minutes and never quite put together a run to get control and reclaim control of the game. 15% chance of victory.

16-11 at best 15-12 most likely and 14-13 staring the Gophers in the mirror.

Weakling Wednesday here we come!

Negative Nancy really doesnt care if the Gophers make the tournament? GTFOH!!! Im all for the RP getting canned but I would love nothing more than see this team show some heart and win some games. Even if they get clobbered in the first round its still good for the program to be included.

So we have to win out to get to the magic 17 win mark prior to the B1G tournament.

Northwestern - Injuries alone make this a hard game to predict. A full strength squad would have this in the bag one would think, but who knows this year. I expect a closely fought victory. 55% chance of winning.

@ Nebraska - Um, it's a road game. But, it is Nebraska! Maybe the Gophers get a 90% healed Robbins for this game and pass him the ball inside and get 40 FT attempts like they should. this is a 50-50 game here.

@ Penn State - Nothing is ever easy in Happy Valley. Even when PSU really really stinks we struggle to win at Happy Valley. I give us a 37.5% chance of stealing victory from the clutches of defeat in this one. In other words, if we win, it won't be pretty.

Rutgers - Let's face it. Rutgers plays hard Pat Riley Knicks type basketball. The Gophers try to play Loyola Marymount Paul Westhead type basketball without the shooting ability. Which means while the Gophers almost certainly will NOT WIN this game. They most likely will not get blown out. Look for a long boring game where the Gophers never hold a lead except for maybe in the early minutes and never quite put together a run to get control and reclaim control of the game. 15% chance of victory.

16-11 at best 15-12 most likely and 14-13 staring the Gophers in the mirror.

Weakling Wednesday here we come!
If Robbins is anything more than 70% healthy, there is no way in hell that that game is a 50/50

Negative Nancy really doesnt care if the Gophers make the tournament? GTFOH!!! Im all for the RP getting canned but I would love nothing more than see this team show some heart and win some games. Even if they get clobbered in the first round its still good for the program to be included.
Thing is if they make the dance things could happen.

Others have said, and I completely agree, Pitino's style is meant for another conference. If the gophers get in and aren't playing a Big Ten team (which they won't in the first round) I could easily see them winning. Hell, this team is so weird I could see them knocking off a big seed in the second round if the opponent isn't from the Big Ten. They could just as easily get smoked by 20 by a team like St. Bonnie.

Anything is possible but we have to get there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom