B1G Media Deal: 7 Years, $1.2 Billion

I dialed back my consumption of ESPN at the same rate they began and continued to attempt to manipulate the sports themselves. Their long established and noted love affair with the SEC in college football is the best example and my biggest gripe.

But, stories on the backup QB for the Cowboys during NFL playoffs that did not include the Cowboys, and turning themselves into the LeBronn James network are other examples. Baseball? YankeesRedSox YankeesRedSox YankeesRedSox.

Two thoughts this AM...

First, what if anything happens to BTN? Guessing not much since it covers all sports not just FB...although we may not be on ESPNU any more...

Second, maybe there's a chance for Grinnin' Glen to get a commentator spot again? Actually miss him on the airwaves.

Well, they have the SEC and ACC. Plus will probably put in to some degree with Big XII and PAC remainders.

But just the first two, that's a large part of the Eastern time zone, plus Texas, a large part of population, and likely a strong majority of the college football watching public.

I don't think they're going to roll over, by any means.
Busy morning for you huh?;)

The miscalculation was thinking that locking-up the SEC would automatically get them the exclusive TV rights to the 16 team playoffs. Now that won't happen. The more Stankey pushes for an ABC/ESPN exclusive the more it hardens others against it.
They tied their fortune to the SEC. Then they were smug enough to think that the other major conferences would fall in line and agree to take whatever time slots they had left over. They also thought the SEC deal would get them the rights to show the entire expanded playoffs.

It was a terrible miscalculation.

Last edited:

I mean pretty much the reason you'd take Oregon over Washington, is simply their prowess in where their football program is and is perceived to be by the national CFB public.

And having Phil Knights.

All the rest of the metrics, I agree favor Washington.
Phil Knight is 84 years old. That gravy train will eventually end, and they will likely go back to where they started before the gravy train started. Unless his kids are also massive UO fans (have no idea if he even has kids). He may leave a bunch of money to them when he dies, but they'll blow through it and have to survive on their own.

Washington is the better long-term play. Way better market.

Phil Knight is 84 years old. That gravy train will eventually end, and they will likely go back to where they started before the gravy train started. Unless his kids are also massive UO fans (have no idea if he even has kids). He may leave a bunch of money to them when he dies, but they'll blow through it and have to survive on their own.

Oregon is a cottage industry to sell Nike products. I'll take the bet they are not even in the conversation. Portland is the 25th biggest TV market, and contrary to what Nike commercials say, they are NOT a national brand.

Time for Gretzky and his family to put up the backing for college hockey in LA.
Wayne Gretzky’s net worth ranks #206 in NHL / hockey career earnings adjusted for inflation.

The greatest player ever has 205 guys that made more money.

He lives full time in St. Louis.

Tough to put Washington on an island like that, but unlike in NorCal and SoCal, it's not like there's another PAC team right there. Oregon and WSU are both flights away, especially in winter.

If you had to pick one of Wash or Oregon, to pair with NorCal and Notre Dame ... which one do you pick? There are pluses and minuses to each.
I already listed my four.

Wayne Gretzky’s net worth ranks #206 in NHL / hockey career earnings adjusted for inflation.

Career earnings do not equal his net worth.

Last edited:

Maybe he could convince his daughter/son-in-law to chip in some of their LIV money. DJ is flush.

Last edited:

Even with Oregon’s Nike money, Washington is the better choice:
1. UW 48,000 students vs OU 22,000.
2. UW has 263,000 alumni living outside the state of Washington, which is more than all of OU’s 250,000 alumni living anywhere.
3. Seattle TV market has 58% more viewers than Portland.
4. UW has 22 varsity sports to OU’s 18.
5. UW has 56,000 dues paying alumni, which one if the largest active alumni groups in the country.
6. My son is a Husky and I’m a Gopher. Time to be in the same conference!

Personally, I’d rather see Oregon in the conference over Cal because it would see up the West Coast TV market and it would give Washington a close school to travel to. But I don’t see Stanford coming without Cal. And I absolutely see Washington coming without Oregon because they were the kings of the north before Phil Knights money, and it still has some boosters PO’d over it.

Also made hockey viable in LA. Not sure if he has any affinity for it now or not. I think college hockey could make a go of it out there but it needs a boost.

Even with Oregon’s Nike money, Washington is the better choice:
1. UW 48,000 students vs OU 22,000.
2. UW has 263,000 alumni living outside the state of Washington, which is more than all of OU’s 250,000 alumni living anywhere.
3. Seattle TV market has 58% more viewers than Portland.
4. UW has 22 varsity sports to OU’s 18.
5. UW has 56,000 dues paying alumni, which one if the largest active alumni groups in the country.
6. My son is a Husky and I’m a Gopher. Time to be in the same conference!

Personally, I’d rather see Oregon in the conference over Cal because it would see up the West Coast TV market and it would give Washington a close school to travel to. But I don’t see Stanford coming without Cal. And I absolutely see Washington coming without Oregon because they were the kings of the north before Phil Knights money, and it still has some boosters PO’d over it.

I'll add, the Huskies have a very rich football tradition including multiple national championships and a recent CFP appearance.

On the other hand, maybe we don't want them in the conference? :)

The thing is, IMO, Washington will want Oregon to be a package deal with them. They still want a rivalry that fans can easily travel to by car.

Also made hockey viable in LA. Not sure if he has any affinity for it now or not. I think college hockey could make a go of it out there but it needs a boost.
With the new NHL team in Seattle, and the high level of interest, Huskies could add mens and womens teams.

The thing is, IMO, Washington will want Oregon to be a package deal with them. They still want a rivalry that fans can easily travel to by car.
I think most Husky fans would agree with you. However, if the Pac can’t right itself and if the Huskies get an invite, I can see them joining the B1G without Oregon.

ESPN has to be hurting already. I can't remember the last time I watched any of their channels outside of live action and 30 for 30. The ratings for the rest of their programming has to be a fraction of what it once was.
That takes care of SEC Bias of their own creation. The rest of the other networks ganged up. They each got a piece of the Big Ten Pie.

Last edited:

It is actually quite embarrassing we don't have a men's soccer team.
This market would support a mens gopher soccer team. Even if mens college soccer isn’t a popular sport compared to the women, this town supports soccer at all levels and it would put them in line with the majority of the rest of the big ten that do have mens soccer teams

Doubtful. It's a mediocre university, and it's not a helmet school. It's like a worse version of Nebraska.
Not going to argue whether it’s doubtful or not- but while I am not a duck fan, it’s a heck of a lot better than Nebby. At least Oregon meets the academic standard of being a member in AAU.

I mean, it's AAU, for whatever that's worth to you. (So was Nebraska, when they joined, then were kicked out)

They've actually won a decent amount in modern history though, so they have that over Neb.

Except when Nebraska joined they were still winning too. Then they joined a real league and fell off. Oregon will do the same.

Not going to argue whether it’s doubtful or not- but while I am not a duck fan, it’s a heck of a lot better than Nebby. At least Oregon meets the academic standard of being a member in AAU.

To be fair so did Nebraska and they lost the status because of where the med school is located, not because the quality of the education there.

Well if they're smart, they'll put that money in an endowment.

Your points are of course valid. It's just part of the overall situation to consider. T Boone Pickens has been gone for a few years now, but Okla St is still doing pretty well relatively. They haven't fallen off a cliff.

Don't think this has been posted above but a nice and what appears to be informed read on the new media deal.

Hits not only the now Big 3...Fox/CBS/NBC...for the big match-ups each week, but also touches on BTN, FS1, and other options.

Source appears to be I-O-W-A oriented but that does not impact the content. Here's the link:

Two thoughts this AM...

First, what if anything happens to BTN? Guessing not much since it covers all sports not just FB...although we may not be on ESPNU any more...

Second, maybe there's a chance for Grinnin' Glen to get a commentator spot again? Actually miss him on the airwaves.
I haven’t read the whole deal but I think they still have something like 40 games on BTN for football. That’s 2-3 a week on average for the season

I would guess one game a week during conference season and a bunch of non conference games

How long until you see some combination of Washington, Stanford, Oregon, etc paired with Notre Dame joining the Big Ten.

Even better, the chances of the Gophers getting 1 of the 3 primetime games a few times a season is even greater.
It makes the 5 team pods work great for the west coast, but I agree with others about Cal over Oregon. I’m sure the temptation would be to put Notre Dame in the Mid East division below, but I think that would make that pod way too strong and the East too weak.
West:
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Washington
Mid West:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Mid East:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern
East:
Penn State
Notre Dame
Maryland
Indiana
Rutgers

Last edited:

Do you feel the same about USC?

I dont think USC will be as good no. If I was to bet though I would sooner bet USC returns to greatness than Oregon stays great. USC is a prestigious private school in LA that is a national brand...Oregon not so much.

USC has been down before and found ways to return.

(UCLA is a completely different story)

It makes the 5 team pods work great for the west coast, but I agree with others about Cal over Oregon. I’m sure the temptation would be to put Notre Dame in the Mid East division below, but I think that would make that pod way too strong and the East too weak.
West:
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Washington
Mid West:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Mid East:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern
East:
Penn State
Notre Dame
Maryland
Indiana
Rutgers
That lineup should make the Mid West the toughest division top to bottom.

Top Bottom