B1G Media Deal: 7 Years, $1.2 Billion

I haven't been able to find it in an article, but apparently the deal can increase to 10Mil if more schools are added according to this comment on Reddit (which has a few agreeing with it):
A 30% increase in the deal means you could add 4 schools and actually increase the payout per school...If true, the contract is built to allow more expansion without dilution.
Wow. If true, Warren really knocked it out of the park. Irish, Stanford, Washington and Cal.

ESPN has been an unmitigated grease fire for several years now. Very happy to not have to tune into that channel for much of anything anymore.

Good deal overall for the B1G, should be good for everyone involved.
Its streaming service sucked the last time I used it.

ESPN was behind TX and OK shifting to the SEC.
The BIG balanced that by adding USC and UCLA.
ND can remain crying in the wilderness. Their hubris is very annoying.
I do not watch MLB or the NBA so I never watch ESPN unless a good college BB or college FB game is on.

ESPN was behind TX and OK shifting to the SEC.
The BIG balanced that by adding USC and UCLA.
ND can remain crying in the wilderness. Their hubris is very annoying.
I do not watch MLB or the NBA so I never watch ESPN unless a good college BB or college FB game is on.
If the ability for the deal to go to $10 billion is in there, the Irish are coming sooner than later IMHO.

I bet Minnesota gets a game on Peacock.

And a bunch of basketball games.

ESPN has to be hurting already. I can't remember the last time I watched any of their channels outside of live action and 30 for 30. The ratings for the rest of their programming has to be a fraction of what it once was.

I watch UFC on ESPN+. That's it. I'll probably still catch the first half hour or so of Gameday when it starts with BTN's show DVRd.

What are you smoking? Better find a new source.
There is no objective review of his tenure that doesn't conclude he's been brilliant to date.

Not just a home run. A grand slam hire.

He's positioned the B1G as the undisputed leader of college football despite not having the best teams, the richest conference by far, can pick and chose pretty much at will if (when) expansion occurs again, and can dictate who plays on the largest networks, when.

All while recovering from covid.

Last edited:

This is huge!!!!!

The B1G will be the marquee game on the major networks on Saturday.

On regular broadcast TV. The early game will be on Fox, the mid afternoon game on CBS and the late night game will be on NBC.

The B1G will be the NFL of Saturdays....

Fox, which has shared the rights to the Big Ten with ESPN since 2017 and owns a majority stake in BTN, will continue to feature noon Eastern time as its primary game of the day.

CBS, starting in 2024, will replace the Southeastern Conference game of the week at 3:30 p.m. Eastern — that is moving to ABC — with a Big Ten game.

Starting in 2023, NBC will launch “Big Ten Saturday Night” in prime time and broadcast 15-16 games per season.

Beyond the short-term financial impact this is great for the reputation of the Big Ten and for recruiting. From what I can find about 30% of Americans don't pay for TV (streaming or cable) and that's only going to go up. Hopefully the better Big Ten teams will be viewed as prestigious national teams kind of like Notre Dame with NBC now.

Athletic article called it out that it was backloaded, for when USC-UCLA join (more inventory) as well as after CBS-SEC agreement ends following the 2023 football season opening more 2:30 PM windows.
Yes that's right, I was wrong. Our current deal with ESPN and Fox ends after 2022-23 athletic year.

But, somehow, there will still be games on ESPN in 2023?

Because everything being reported is that our relationship with ESPN ends in 2024.

They tied their fortune to the SEC. Then they were smug enough to think that the other major conferences would fall in line and agree to take whatever time slots they had left over. They also thought the SEC deal would get them the rights to show the entire expanded playoffs.

It was a terrible miscalculation.
Well, they have the SEC and ACC. Plus will probably put in to some degree with Big XII and PAC remainders.

But just the first two, that's a large part of the Eastern time zone, plus Texas, a large part of population, and likely a strong majority of the college football watching public.

I don't think they're going to roll over, by any means.

Wow. If true, Warren really knocked it out of the park. Irish, Stanford, Washington and Cal.
Tough to put Washington on an island like that, but unlike in NorCal and SoCal, it's not like there's another PAC team right there. Oregon and WSU are both flights away, especially in winter.

If you had to pick one of Wash or Oregon, to pair with NorCal and Notre Dame ... which one do you pick? There are pluses and minuses to each.

It is actually quite embarrassing we don't have a men's soccer team.
Only 9 out of current 14 have men's soccer as a varsity sport. UCLA has it, USC does not.

zs1zpGz.png

ironic.

two years ago during the covid mess, people were screaming for Kevin Warren's head.

Now - B!G adds USC and UCLA. negotiates huge media deal. and, by all accounts, more expansion planned.

one could argue that Kevin Warren is now one of the most powerful people in college sports.

I even saw someone suggesting that he could be the next NFL Commissioner.
Why would Warren be receptive to a downward move? ;)

Tough to put Washington on an island like that, but unlike in NorCal and SoCal, it's not like there's another PAC team right there. Oregon and WSU are both flights away, especially in winter.

If you had to pick one of Wash or Oregon, to pair with NorCal and Notre Dame ... which one do you pick? There are pluses and minuses to each.

Washington for me. A bigger market, better school, and more history including with the Gophs (going way back).

Doubtful. It's a mediocre university, and it's not a helmet school. It's like a worse version of Nebraska.
I mean, it's AAU, for whatever that's worth to you. (So was Nebraska, when they joined, then were kicked out)

They've actually won a decent amount in modern history though, so they have that over Neb.

I mean pretty much the reason you'd take Oregon over Washington, is simply their prowess in where their football program is and is perceived to be by the national CFB public.

And having Phil Knights.

All the rest of the metrics, I agree favor Washington.

It is actually quite embarrassing we don't have a men's soccer team.
Only 9 out of current 14 have men's soccer as a varsity sport. UCLA has it, USC does not.

zs1zpGz.png
Not as embarrassing as Wisconsin lacking baseball.

LA is a decent hockey town. USC/UCLA...hmmm. Even with the TV/streaming bucks flowing, I realize it's a longshot.

But let's not lose focus here people: men's college golf.

Clearly, this is the future. Every single school has it. Every single one.

You've got to be s___ing me ....

Not as embarrassing as Wisconsin lacking baseball.

LA is a decent hockey town. USC/UCLA...hmmm. Even with the TV/streaming bucks flowing, I realize it's a longshot.
Time for Gretzky and his family to put up the backing for college hockey in LA.

Top Bottom