B1G Game 6: Gophers Visit Indiana (1-17-24)

Meanwhile Bueckers has 17 on 6 shots at half

I'm only able to follow on Live Stats, but it seems the more significant problem for the Gophers tonight is that nobody seems to be able to match-up against McKenzie. She's 11-13 with 5 boards and 2 steals.

I mean, we're shooting 44% and 50% from 3, but McKenzie in close and the Points off Our Turnovers seems to be the main issue for Minnesota tonight.
Sophie needs to quit backing down.

Should have been a no call on that drive against Braun just now….

Gophers have no answer for Holmes (15-17 FG) for 32 pts. Unstoppable.

I guess Heyer and Hart left their game back home. Has to be one of the worst frontcourt duos in the conference.

Hart is way to tentative. She backs down and let's better post treat her like a statue. She can play better than tonight. I know Holmes is a great player but that wasn't good footwork or level of compete. Gophers do not pass well enough and to much 1 on 1. Not very good shooting after first quarter. Could not guard the three or in the post tonight.

I guess Heyer and Hart left their game back home. Has to be one of the worst frontcourt duos in the conference.
Gophers have no answer for Holmes (15-17 FG) for 32 pts. Unstoppable.
Or for Indiana moving the ball around 23 assists compared to 8 for gophers. I think that’s lowest assist total for a game this season.

Ya, our biggest weakness by far is our posts. Hart is sooo slow and un-athletic...it is amazing the production she gets out of the talents she has. And the other post girls are so far away from being Big Ten good.
Here's my takeaway....Indiana has waay better players than the Gophers. Indiana has a way better attack on both ends. Indiana is a lot better than we are...yet we had it to 10 points in the the 4th quarter. We play hard, do the best we can with what we have.

These Peacock announcers are annoying they kept talking about True Freshmen Grace Grocholski like she is NC State transfer, instead of Hart and they repeated that we play Purdue next on Sunday. We play MSU on Saturday next. At least read your game notes and try a little.

Coach P on the radio now. Said a main goal was the contain Mackenzie Holmes and they couldn't do that.

I agree, she said a stretch during the 3rd quarter was their best basketball this season.

She is detailing the things they need to work on. Things they're still getting comfortable doing.

In 2nd half tried to get Braun into screen action that was a little different.

They're finding their way game by game.

They're playing to win with what they can do.

They beat Nebraska, Michigan and Purdue with that. Plus a few other respectable teams. Not bad.

They know they are working on stuff. And some things inconsistent.

When the game is on you do your best. Which is not bad.

They didn't need to win this game.

They're playing to win with what they can do.

They beat Nebraska, Michigan and Purdue with that. Plus a few other respectable teams. Not bad.

They know they are working on stuff. And some things inconsistent.

When the game is on you do your best. Which is not bad.

They didn't need to win this game.
Agree. They are ahead of schedule against a front-loaded league schedule. Already done with IU and MD, with 4 games left against the clear weak links in the league (Bucky, Rutgers & Northwestern).

This game again showed the youth more. Indiana has one Sophomore starting with 4 seniors. Indiana much quicker in anticipation, passing, decision making. The gophers still showed fight and got on runs to close the gap a bit at times, but Indiana is a determined team after getting beat by Iowa and coming back home. Tough game, but lots to learn for this team as they grow and become a more experienced team. Still got time to get a few more key victories and possibly get the NCAA. Like to see Maggie Czinano try to handle some of the more athletic posts of teams on the defense side to help Hart out at times.

Ya, our biggest weakness by far is our posts. Hart is sooo slow and un-athletic...it is amazing the production she gets out of the talents she has. And the other post girls are so far away from being Big Ten good.
Here's my takeaway....Indiana has waay better players than the Gophers. Indiana has a way better attack on both ends. Indiana is a lot better than we are...yet we had it to 10 points in the the 4th quarter. We play hard, do the best we can with what we have.
I agree that Hart is too slow and not very athletic. I disagree that our Freshman aren't ready. Holloway has to play limited minutes. I think Johnson can play based on her athleticism.
I disagree that Indiana has better players. They have experienced players. Indiana's offense ran the same plays to score in the paint or kick it out first the three. Our players didn't recognize their offensive plays fast enough, a step behind.
Once again, much learning is occurring. Our Gophers will be a quality team come B1G Tournament!

I think it's simply experience and our time will come. I am concerned a bit with our athleticism in the frontcourt. It will be interesting to see how the offseason goes with training and the type of players Coach P tries to bring in over time. Too many rim runs and open 3's against good teams. Indiana shot 58% and 45% from 3.

Iowa shot 58%

Indiana's guards moved the ball, ours didn't. As a result, they got wide open shots. As long as our guards think they get points for dribbling, nothing will change. There's not much Heyer can do if the ball gets to her late (or not at all). We do need help in the middle. Hart works hard, but is limited athletically. Hope the staff is recruiting an athletic big who is also a basketball player. Johnson has potential, but she is raw and has a lot to learn.

I guess a bright spot was Grace. She didn’t seem fazed at all playing in that atmosphere and and didn’t seem to play like a true freshmen. Somehow the coaching staff is gonna have to figure how to get Braun going against the elite teams in the conference. I know experience is working against them but I still believe they can shock/upset a team in the upper tier. I too get frustrated with guards dribbling at the top and letting the shot clock wind down before hoisting a desperation shot. Need more passing, I know coach P has said they have not implemented their entire offense yet, hopefully it’s still coming.

Mackenzie Holmes can only play on one team. Unfortunately, she plays for Indiana and she makes all the difference. Indiana goes as far as Holmes can take them.

Heyer is the most consistent on the team. Your grouping her with Hart is very wrong. For one thing Hart plays the paint; Heyer plays the entire floor. Very few times Heyer will not come close to a double double!

Top Bottom