B1G Game 15: Gophers Host Wisconsin (2-20-24)

Clark could break Maravich's record against gophers so at least it isn't all negative
True. We can get our doors blown off while watching Caitlin Clark giving us a 50-point (or whatever she needs to break Pistol Pete's record) performance.

this CREW might be been one of the worse crews I've seen in person in awhile

- Porter SLIPS and an offensive foul is called
- Williams posted up CAMP in the lane ALL night and only got called once
- on Grace's 5th foul.. Wisconsin player off balance and falls out.. FOUL
- before the internal foul on Sanders, refs missed Sanders getting fouled twice

- FOUR FOULS in the 2nd half on Wisconsin.. TWO in the 4th not until under 30 seconds..

hopefully the coaching staff send this into the big ten..

HOW IS THAT A FOUL ON GG????
That was rotten call the Wisconsin player ran over and through GG, as she was falling out of bounds, that was an offensive foul. I know our player is Freshmen but that call was made with Red colored bias glasses.

Last edited:

That was rotten call the Wisconsin player ran over and through GG, that was an offensive foul. I know our player is Freshmen but that call was made with Red colored bias glasses.
tbh a lot of calls seemed to favor Wisconsin tonight.. especially in the 2nd half..

We only have 2 players right now that can play the 5 with Hart injured and out. I know they are Freshmen and Red Shirt Freshmen. They have to learn from Post coach how to front the defender and play from behind and put pressure on the passer without fouling. To much reaching and not enough moving your feet or walling up from behind. Nobody likes to get bumped or banged, sometimes you need to try to guard straight up and cut off and anticipate the pass without reaching around and swiping. Holloway has long arms but she gambles and gives up inside position then has to reach. Don't get me wrong I like Holloway, she is energetic, really good athlete and fun to watch, she needs to be taught how to be a little more sneaky and bang and body someone up to put ball pressure on without losing position to the basket off drives and pick and rolls. I know AJ and Holloway are freshmen, can they watch film of Monica Czinano, and see how she gained leverage and position in post on offense and defense. I dont think Hart can replicate that kind of leverage. AJ, She will gain confidence as she gets stronger and gains game experience. Monica Maggie's sister was fun to watch as slightly undersized center but really strong and knew how to gain inside position under basket and tricks on how to bump and not get caught. I know you cannot re-invent her skills but watching her tape teaches you some tricks of the trade. Good fundamentals on footwork and defensive position. Our guards need to create ball pressure without reaching, I know that is tough when opponent can have quickness advantage. I like Amaya Battle and Sanders as players but in the first half we didn't get good switches or cut off the defender on there drive enough and all the fouls ended up as taxes and too many free throws for Badgers. Battle has great length that can be a big advantage if you keep moving and attack the ballhandler into a trap.She is going to have to score a little bit more now that bench is thinner.

Last edited:

Caught the Plitzuweit post game as we were leaving. She said in the first half we didn't apply pressure, didn't help and pretty much didn't do what was practiced. Plitzuweit was happier with the second half D.

True. We can get our doors blown off while watching Caitlin Clark giving us a 50-point (or whatever she needs to break Pistol Pete's record) performance.
Pistol Pete didn't have the 3 point line during his college career. Catlin's record will deserve an *.

I know they are going thru adversity with all the injuries but still disappointed on how they respond to it. Very long stretches of ugly BB. Wisconsin young as well but much farther long in their development.

We only have 2 players right now that can play the 5 with Hart injured and out. I know they are Freshmen and Red Shirt Freshmen. They have to learn from Post coach how to front the defender and play from behind and put pressure on the passer without fouling. To much reaching and not enough moving your feet or walling up from behind. Nobody likes to get bumped or banged, sometimes you need to try to guard straight up and cut off and anticipate the pass without reaching around and swiping. Holloway has long arms but she gambles and gives up inside position then has to reach. Don't get me wrong I like Holloway, she is energetic, really good athlete and fun to watch, she needs to be taught how to be a little more sneaky and bang and body someone up to put ball pressure on , without losing position to the basket off drives and pick and rolls. I know AJ and Holloway are freshmen, can the watch film of Monica Czinano and see how she gained leverage and position in post on offense and defense. AJ over thinks on when to shoot and over spins the ball at times. She will gain confidence as she gets stronger and gains experience. Monica Maggie's sister was undersized center but really strong and knew how to gain inside position under basket and tricks on how to bump and not get caught. I know you cannot re-invent her skills but watching her tape teaches you some tricks of the trade. Good fundamentals on footwork and defensive position. Our guards need to create ball pressure without reaching, I know that is tough when opponent can have quickness advantage. I like Amaya Battle and Sanders as players but in the first half we didn't get good switches or cut off the defender on there drive enough and all the fouls ended up as taxes and too many free throws for Badgers. Battle has great length that can be a big advantage if you keep moving and attack the ballhandler into a trap.She is going to have to score a little bit more now that bench is thinner.
1708486439211.gif

We need more post players, especially older post. Been that way for 3 years. No replacement for experience. If there is a way to drum up some NIL to get transfers the Gophers need them. Could use another center for sure. Just not enough experience or age and strength at the 4 or 5. Depth is tough when you don't have it. Got to have tall athletic "Bigs" that can run, are strong and experienced. In Big 10 basketball that's not just a need it is necessity. That's reality, of this conference. Tough to win with Freshmen and inexperienced players, in basketball, don't care what program you are. Hard thing to change in short time. Every team is getting a lot bigger and fast to in Big 10 comference. Tough to compete when you cannot get transition points, or cannot hit shots in the paint. Gophers are thin in numbers in paint.

Last edited:

We need more post players, especially older post. Been that way for 3 years. No replacement for experience. If there is a way to drum up some NIL to get transfers the Gophers need them. Could use another center for sure. Just not enough experience or age and strength at the 4 or 5. Depth is tough when you don't have it. Got to have tall athletic "Bigs" that can run, are strong and experienced. In Big 10 basketball that's not just a need it is necessity. That's reality, of this conference. Tough to win with Freshmen and inexperienced players, in basketball, don't care what program you are. Hard thing to change in short time. Every team is getting a lot bigger and fast to in Big 10 comference. Tough to compete when you cannot get transition points, or cannot hit shots in the paint. Gophers are thin in numbers in paint.
Lol all your points are on the surface true, but can be easily refuted by comparing and contrasting with many other B1G teams. All you need are good people doing the right things the right way. That's how you win, and we don't have it whether it's the players or coach. Tired of watching our coach constantly berate officials while our players are allowed to repeat the same dumb mistakes.

Lol all your points are on the surface true, but can be easily refuted by comparing and contrasting with many other B1G teams. All you need are good people doing the right things the right way. That's how you win, and we don't have it whether it's the players or coach. Tired of watching our coach constantly berate officials while our players are allowed to repeat the same dumb mistakes.
All coaches work officials. Its part of the game. They also compliment when they can. Big 10 conference and all of Women's college basketball has become the land of really tall players. Tonight there was poor shooting, breakdowns on defense and ball handling. no answer for Williams. A lot of youth and inexperience.. Tough year when you lose 40% scoring and team is short depth. It's the hand they are dealt. People doing what they are not used to. After previous two seasons. I'm hoping we don't get another mass exodus of players. Losing players has cost the program a lot. It's never easy having coaching change and transition years are not easy.

Last edited:

tbh a lot of calls seemed to favor Wisconsin tonight.. especially in the 2nd half..
It was like having Soviet Era gymnastics or figure skating judges in Olympics with officiating. Wisconsin was doing a lot of the same swiping and grabbing, they just only called the Gophers for it. I don't mind officials calling fouls just be balanced when the other side is doing the exact same things. There was obvious imbalance in calls. That said Wisconsin made more shots and set aggressive picks and it worked in their favor. Williams was scoring machine. It wasn't all officiating.

Last edited:

Dont take this the wrong way, but Harts injury is the best thing to happen to the Gophers this year. It gives AJ a lot of playing time, which she needs. While her inexperience shows so does her physical talent. given some time, those missed layups will start falling, and she will feel comfortable shooting some inside ten footers. She is long, strong, quick, can jump, and looks like she can shoot. She reminded me a little of Payne last night. If her and Hart both return next year, I doubt Hart will be the starter anymore.

All coaches work officials. Its part of the game. They also compliment when they can. Big 10 conference and all of Women's college basketball has become the land of really tall players. Tonight there was poor shooting, breakdowns on defense and ball handling. no answer for Williams. A lot of youth and inexperience.. Tough year when you lose 40% scoring and team is short depth. It's the hand they are dealt. People doing what they are not used to. After previous two seasons. I'm hoping we don't get another mass exodus of players. Losing players has cost the program a lot. It's never easy having coaching change and transition years are not easy.
She definitely works the officials, hard. Not the strategy most would go for their first year in the B1G. By the second quarter, the crew has turned their back to her screaming for the rest of the game. Could use some more tact, knowing when and where, and communicating with respect. Put that energy into leading and directing players before mistakes happen, rather than just ripping into them after they make those mistakes.

Coaches set the standard for the respect level and competitive mindset of their team. Her focus on officials and conduct towards them has set a poor example for the culture of the program. We have players getting technicals for dirty little stuff after the play… just focus on what you can control, compete within the whistles, and respect the opponents and officials please. I promise it will lead to wins in the future.

Technicals on dirty little stuff after the play? If that is a reference to the Sanders stunt, it wasn’t a T, it was an intentional foul, which was well deserved! Sanders plays with a chip on her shoulder and is consistently trying to get in the last shove at the end of a play. Frankly if she doesnt want to keep getting knocked over constantly she keep her head up and sometimes pass the ball. You can almost tell when she is setting herself up for one of her head down right handed drives into the basket stanchion! As for Coach P she should have sat her down for that "stunt"!

Technicals on dirty little stuff after the play? If that is a reference to the Sanders stunt, it wasn’t a T, it was an intentional foul, which was well deserved! Sanders plays with a chip on her shoulder and is consistently trying to get in the last shove at the end of a play. Frankly if she doesnt want to keep getting knocked over constantly she keep her head up and sometimes pass the ball. You can almost tell when she is setting herself up for one of her head down right handed drives into the basket stanchion! As for Coach P she should have sat her down for that "stunt"!
intentional, not a technical, glad we’re on the same page. Wisconsin runs out a 5’2, unrecruited, walk-on to a bottom of the barrel D1 program type point guard, and yet she's clearly been coached up to excel in her role and compete through adversity. she didn't even have a consistent outside jumper, at 5’2, couldn't hit free throws, and was still more impactful. No quit out of that kid, plenty of quit out of ours. That intentional foul at its heart showed mental quit to me. She said this play is it, I don't have the will left to fight through another negative possession in this comeback attempt.. aaand here it is let me wave the white flag in the middle of our comeback and take out some aggression to show my “competitive spirit”. It was a weak move that hurt the team. But it's just a reflection of what the current culture allows. Would love to see that change.

intentional, not a technical, glad we’re on the same page. Wisconsin runs out a 5’2, unrecruited, walk-on to a bottom of the barrel D1 program type point guard, and yet she's clearly been coached up to excel in her role and compete through adversity. she didn't even have a consistent outside jumper, at 5’2, couldn't hit free throws, and was still more impactful. No quit out of that kid, plenty of quit out of ours. That intentional foul at its heart showed mental quit to me. She said this play is it, I don't have the will left to fight through another negative possession in this comeback attempt.. aaand here it is let me wave the white flag in the middle of our comeback and take out some aggression to show my “competitive spirit”. It was a weak move that hurt the team. But it's just a reflection of what the current culture allows. Would love to see that change.
Not sure who she could have put in to “sit Sanders down”. Hadn’t Grace already fouled out and Battle had 4 fouls at that point?

Not sure who she could have put in to “sit Sanders down”. Hadn’t Grace already fouled out and Battle had 4 fouls at that point?
When you need to make a point, the replacement is not an issue unless you are actually down to just 5 bodies.

Pistol Pete didn't have the 3 point line during his college career. Catlin's record will deserve an *.
Freshmen were not able to play by rule when Pete was in college. So not only was there no three point line or shot clock...he achieved his totals in three years.

I agree, you can’t sit her in that situation. I don't love the idea of learning basketball through bench-sitting anyways. It has its moments, but plenty of coaches use it as a cop out or shield to deflect from their own deficiencies in the preparation of their players. Like, “There, sit for a while, that'll teach you.” These low IQ, low toughness plays have to be coached out of players through reps and manufactured adversity by coaches beforehand in practices and workouts if you want to have consistency in winning. It can't be built in that 90 minutes on game day.

Gonna be honest. With all of Coach P and her staffs years of experience and success with coaching at a variety of levels, not to mention all of the coaching clinics they’ve attended and put on themselves, It’s amazing that they’re unaware of or never tried the variety of suggestions that are offered up in these forums at some point of their careers. It would behoove them to invite us to their practices as special instructors, so we can fix the problems that they apparently cannot fix. I know my resume is pretty empty, but I know I have the answers they’re looking for!

Reminds me of a video I saw today of an LPGA golfer at a driving range, experimenting on some tweaks in her swing. In the backround, some random older dude, who had no idea that she is actually on the professional golf tour, started telling her what she’s doing wrong, and how to fix it. “I’ve been golfing for 20 years, so I know what I’m talking about”. :)

Gonna be honest. With all of Coach P and her staffs years of experience and success with coaching at a variety of levels, not to mention all of the coaching clinics they’ve attended and put on themselves, It’s amazing that they’re unaware of or never tried the variety of suggestions that are offered up in these forums at some point of their careers. It would behoove them to invite us to their practices as special instructors, so we can fix the problems that they apparently cannot fix. I know my resume is pretty empty, but I know I have the answers they’re looking for!

Reminds me of a video I saw today of an LPGA golfer at a driving range, experimenting on some tweaks in her swing. In the backround, some random older dude, who had no idea that she is actually on the professional golf tour, started telling her what she’s doing wrong, and how to fix it. “I’ve been golfing for 20 years, so I know what I’m talking about”. :)
Thanks Chico, we needed that.

Let the coaches coach!!!

Top Bottom