Away game

If you find yourself in Madison this upcoming season, I highly recommend going to the Essen Haus Bar & Restaurant before or after the game. Be sure to tell your waitress or waiter that Detlef sent you and you’ll receive an exclusive GopherHoler’s discount on their 5L steins of beer.
The Stien is ours !!!!!!!!!

1648074691244.png

If you go to Iowa, be prepared to hear an unbearable amount of yelling, whining, and complaining from the fans EVERY time the Hawkeyes get flagged. A guy there got in my face once because I cheered when Iowa got called for pass interference. He got pissed and said it was a shitty call. I told him he should go tell the ref that. Then his wife chimed in and told me I better cool it 🙄. He stomped off and was gone the rest of the game. Maybe he did go talk to the ref for all I know.

Definitely planning to make it to the Penn State game--very high chance that will be a ranked match-up and have a number of friends out here on the coast who are alumni.
It's an awesome stadium to see. It's a bit difficult to get to.

I went to Lincoln many times when they were in the Big 12. Great fans for the most part.
I got hugs from Nebraska fans at the Outback Bowl.

And others came up to me elsewhere in Florida to talk about college football.

The were sure the Gophers would win. More than I was.

Definitely planning to make it to the Penn State game--very high chance that will be a ranked match-up and have a number of friends out here on the coast who are alumni.
Have several PSU fans/ Alumni that are friends as well. Trying my best to make that game. Hope to also sneak in a visit to Uniontown. Not sure Uniontown will be doable though.

I've been to all of the Big Ten stadiums at least once, save for Rutgers. I'll offer my thoughts, understanding that many may have different experiences.

Nebraska was a pleasant experience each of the times I went. Of course, we won one of them, so that is nice. Fans were still nice even in defeat. Great stadium, great environment. Pregame Stadium tunnel entrance by the home team was cool.

I haven't had the nightmare experience at Iowa that many have expressed, but I usually go with a family friend who is a Hawkeye fan, so maybe that is part of it. I have enjoyed the tailgate lots there and I'm with people I know. They definitely support their team. And, the stadium is crazy, and crazy loud for a couple of the night games I was down there. It would be nice to see a Gopher team win there, which I've never got to see in my 3 or 4 trips.

Wisconsin is Wisconsin. Great pride in the school, Jump around, etc. Worth a trip over there to watch. 2018 was one of my favorite Gopher memories.

Been to Michigan a few times. Underwhelmed with the crowd noise for how many people are there. But, I'm sure it is different when OSU or MSU is there.

Ohio Stadium had some cache to it, quite imposing. I had seats down in the corner of the first few rows....very loud down there. I was impressed. I went to the night game in 2015 (?) I think. Leidner game where he got targeted on a pick six and they reversed the call giving Buckeyes the TD. Crowd absolutely played a factor in getting that call overturned. Loud place.

Penn State a little like Nebraska, nice fans, supportive of their team, loud. The stadium has a unique look to it. Looks like a NASCAR track from the outside with all the railings and girders showing. Does not look like a traditional college stadium especially for how old it is.

Most other places are just places, in my opinion. Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland, Northwestern seemed nothing special. All Gopher road trips are fun, but nothing about those stadiums or those cities stood out to me. Maryland was a little better because I enjoy DC and spent a few days there before the game. But, the stadium was underwhelming, less than half full of fans, etc. Northwestern is nice because Chicago is near by.
I think Michigan isn't as loud as OSU or PSU because of how the stadium is built. OSU and PSU seem to be steeper than the Big House, which helps keep the sound in.

I'm going to the Michigan State away game for sure.

I would like to go to Penn State too, but will probably only go if the Gophers are doing well. This will be my first season living outside the Midwest so the old days of driving road trips to Purdue and Northwestern and Illinois are sadly over.

I'm hoping to make a Florida Gators game this fall though. Haven't been to an SEC stadium before.

One thing about road trips - I don't think Gopher fans realize the downsides of having old historic on campus stadiums in small college towns (the romanticized college football experience) until they visit a few.

Porta-johns in the stadium, cramped and dark concourses, locations in the middle of nowhere, and often no booze sales. No mass transit and not walkable, so I hope you brought a DD. Traveling to the city (flying) is a pain in the butt and there's no reasonably priced hotel rooms so it's some Super 8 in the boondocks an hour from the stadium.

Yeah, it's named after a stupid bank, seats "only" 50k, and it's only 11 years old, but as an alum from out of town who has held season tickets for most of TCF's existence...TCF/campus/Minneapolis are very user friendly for "away" games and traveling fans.

Gopher Ticket office or secondary market...What's been your experience or preference in obtaining road game tickets?

Gopher Ticket office or secondary market...What's been your experience or preference in obtaining road game tickets?
Most road venues I have been to seat the visitors together in one or two areas in the least desirable seats in their inventory. Some like to spread the visitors out more, but still generally in poorer seats. If getting a good seat is your priority, the secondary market (or the other school's box office) is the way to go. If you want to sit with other Gopher fans, getting tickets through the U is a good option. That's what I usually, but not always, do. Also remember that at some venues where the attendance is low, you can buy on the secondary market to save money and then sit with the Gopher fans anyway.

We sat in the Gopher section at Colorado and the seats were terrible--low, past the end zone on the side, but we were among thousands of other Gopher fans and it was an absolute blast.

One thing about road trips - I don't think Gopher fans realize the downsides of having old historic on campus stadiums in small college towns (the romanticized college football experience) until they visit a few.

Porta-johns in the stadium, cramped and dark concourses, locations in the middle of nowhere, and often no booze sales. No mass transit and not walkable, so I hope you brought a DD. Traveling to the city (flying) is a pain in the butt and there's no reasonably priced hotel rooms so it's some Super 8 in the boondocks an hour from the stadium.

Yeah, it's named after a stupid bank, seats "only" 50k, and it's only 11 years old, but as an alum from out of town who has held season tickets for most of TCF's existence...TCF/campus/Minneapolis are very user friendly for "away" games and traveling fans.
Fresno State stadium was interesting...

If you go to a place like Rutgers or Maryland check the secondary market for sure. We got 40 yard line for both for under $20 a ticket.

If you go to a place like Rutgers or Maryland check the secondary market for sure. We got 40 yard line for both for under $20 a ticket.
Or Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana...

Really you can get a dirt cheap ticket to damn near half the conference.

Top Bottom