Away game

RoseGoldy

Reaction score
Hi all. Just had a great away weekend trip following the loons in Philly. Got to see some sights and support one of my teams in a new environment. That’s got me looking at the upcoming football season and doing to weekend trip for one of our away games. Of course Madison sticks out on thanksgiving weekend for the axe. Anyone have any insight/experiences to share? Lodging, dining/drinking, game day experience as an away fan? There’s always lots of Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska fans at our stadium when we host. I would like to think the Midwest friendliness goes both ways if I’m wearing our colors in enemy territory. I would buy the tickets through the gopher away ticket portal. Thanks

Hi all. Just had a great away weekend trip following the loons in Philly. Got to see some sights and support one of my teams in a new environment. That’s got me looking at the upcoming football season and doing to weekend trip for one of our away games. Of course Madison sticks out on thanksgiving weekend for the axe. Anyone have any insight/experiences to share? Lodging, dining/drinking, game day experience as an away fan? There’s always lots of Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska fans at our stadium when we host. I would like to think the Midwest friendliness goes both ways if I’m wearing our colors in enemy territory. I would buy the tickets through the gopher away ticket portal. Thanks

Beware of going to Iowa or Wisconsin. Not saying it can't be a great time, but a good portion of their fans are complete jackasses. NE fans are great for the most part.

Beware of going to Iowa or Wisconsin. Not saying it can't be a great time, but a good portion of their fans are complete jackasses. NE fans are great for the most part.
Agree. Worst fans anywhere. Iowa Children saying the big MF with parents high-fiving. Badger fans pretty much hammered before game starts. Physical assaults and cars vandalized. Nice folks.

Champaign is a fun trip. Lots of tickets available.

Totally agree. Badger and Hawkeye fans can be difficult but I have found the Nebraska fans to be respectful whether they win or lose.

I've been to all of the Big Ten stadiums at least once, save for Rutgers. I'll offer my thoughts, understanding that many may have different experiences.

Nebraska was a pleasant experience each of the times I went. Of course, we won one of them, so that is nice. Fans were still nice even in defeat. Great stadium, great environment. Pregame Stadium tunnel entrance by the home team was cool.

I haven't had the nightmare experience at Iowa that many have expressed, but I usually go with a family friend who is a Hawkeye fan, so maybe that is part of it. I have enjoyed the tailgate lots there and I'm with people I know. They definitely support their team. And, the stadium is crazy, and crazy loud for a couple of the night games I was down there. It would be nice to see a Gopher team win there, which I've never got to see in my 3 or 4 trips.

Wisconsin is Wisconsin. Great pride in the school, Jump around, etc. Worth a trip over there to watch. 2018 was one of my favorite Gopher memories.

Been to Michigan a few times. Underwhelmed with the crowd noise for how many people are there. But, I'm sure it is different when OSU or MSU is there.

Ohio Stadium had some cache to it, quite imposing. I had seats down in the corner of the first few rows....very loud down there. I was impressed. I went to the night game in 2015 (?) I think. Leidner game where he got targeted on a pick six and they reversed the call giving Buckeyes the TD. Crowd absolutely played a factor in getting that call overturned. Loud place.

Penn State a little like Nebraska, nice fans, supportive of their team, loud. The stadium has a unique look to it. Looks like a NASCAR track from the outside with all the railings and girders showing. Does not look like a traditional college stadium especially for how old it is.

Most other places are just places, in my opinion. Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland, Northwestern seemed nothing special. All Gopher road trips are fun, but nothing about those stadiums or those cities stood out to me. Maryland was a little better because I enjoy DC and spent a few days there before the game. But, the stadium was underwhelming, less than half full of fans, etc. Northwestern is nice because Chicago is near by.

Last edited:

I was at Kinnick last year. My group didn't have any troubles. Granted we were in the Gophers section, so maybe my experience was skewed. But, while tailgating before the game or while we were walking through the stadium we didn't encounter any rude Hawkeye fans -- actually had pleasant conversation(s) with some in the concourse.

Actually felt more comfortable there than when I was in Madison in 2016, though that's probably not saying much.

Thanks everyone. That’s what I was afraid of. It seems like we graciously host many of their fans each year. Too bad it can’t be the other way around.

But I suppose being a large metropolitan area we get a lot of WI and IA transplants with our robust economy hence the large away support they always seem to bring

Been to at least 10-12 games at Camp Randall. Never got more than a medium level of ribbing. Yes, rn into the occasional smartass drunk college kid on the sidewalk, but really never got much flack barhopping. My ex is from there, so I was with all Badger fans and we would hit all the outdoor bar parties like Regent Street Retreat, etc. Of course when I decide not to go in recent years, Gophs win. Probably doing MSU this year...we usually do one of the nonconference games for a road trip along with NW.

But I suppose being a large metropolitan area we get a lot of WI and IA transplants with our robust economy hence the large away support they always seem to bring
Yeah, and having your two main rivals a drivable distance helps a lot too.

For what it is worth, The Athletic in their recent poll of BIG fans showed by the widest margin that WI was the best away venue.

I'll think on it over the summer. I went to college at a UW school so I get the whole mixed allegiances between MN and WI sports fans. Its pretty good natured outside of the occasional moron who has had too much to drink and says something stupid.

Not all of these are road games next year but in terms of experience I would rank my road trips:

1) Nebraska (nice people, awesome environment)
2) Iowa (awesome environment, some individuals are dicks)
3) Penn state (see number 1 but with a couple of drunks and longer travel)
4) Wisconsin (at least a 50% chance you’ll have at least one run in with an idiot)
Large gap
5) Michigan state
6) Indiana
7) Purdue

Haven’t been to the other 6…would like to go to:
1) michigan
2) Ohio state
3) Maryland
4) Illinois
5) Rutgers
6) northwestern

Last edited:

I’m suprised by the near unanimous positive reviews of Nebraska. Very glad to hear that and perhaps that’ll be my road game this year and hit Omaha on the way

Nebraska is my favorite. The Haymarket area is fun. Fans are very nice. The atmosphere can be very electric - I love the balloon release but am hoping it won't happen at the next game :)
Illinois and Purdue are fine - kind of boring. Although I am impressed by the tailgating set ups.
I haven't been brave enough to venture to iowa or wisconsin. Was hoping for MSU this year but I think that's out now.

For what it is worth, The Athletic in their recent poll of BIG fans showed by the widest margin that WI was the best away venue.
Link?

I’m suprised by the near unanimous positive reviews of Nebraska. Very glad to hear that and perhaps that’ll be my road game this year and hit Omaha on the way
I'll chime in...I thought Nebby was...Meh. Tailgating lots are nowhere near the stadium (at least 15 minute walk), so it is pretty much dead by it until people start heading into the stadium, and then dead right after. I agree Haymarket is very fun but still a good 10 minute walk over to the stadium. Both Haymarket and the tailgate lots are seperated from the stadium by the Interstate.

I know it's changed some with the development around Camp Randall, but the tailgaters are right there, and the bars are right there. To me it has the best overall college football gameday atmosphere I've been around. Plus winning there is just that much more sweet...

If you find yourself in Madison this upcoming season, I highly recommend going to the Essen Haus Bar & Restaurant before or after the game. Be sure to tell your waitress or waiter that Detlef sent you and you’ll receive an exclusive GopherHoler’s discount on their 5L steins of beer.

I attended a skunks home game 3 years ago with my bros, one of whom has season tickets. Before the game in an area right outside the stadium where they sell beer (shocking, I know!) there was a 60-something (?) guy singing and playing the guitar. Very entertaining and clever and a good musician, making up songs and changing the words to some classic rock and pop songs. Even gets the crowd singing along. I think he's a legend in WI, doing this all over the state year long, and (I think) before all home football games.

I'll chime in...I thought Nebby was...Meh. Tailgating lots are nowhere near the stadium (at least 15 minute walk), so it is pretty much dead by it until people start heading into the stadium, and then dead right after. I agree Haymarket is very fun but still a good 10 minute walk over to the stadium. Both Haymarket and the tailgate lots are seperated from the stadium by the Interstate.

I know it's changed some with the development around Camp Randall, but the tailgaters are right there, and the bars are right there. To me it has the best overall college football gameday atmosphere I've been around. Plus winning there is just that much more sweet...
I feel like I’ve tailgated right under the freeway and it was like a 4-5 block walk to the stadium. I could see the stadium from my tailgare

DO IT, OP! Away games are the best and I go to as many as possible, including bowls. Of this year's away games I've only been to Illinois and Nebraska. Illinois is super sterile. Barely any tailgating around the stadium, so we usually chill at a bar pregame. Almost guaranteed to be an 11 am kick though, so it's not a lot of time. Stadium isn't close to full, so tickets will cost you $10 on StubHub and you can sit wherever you want. NW will be a very similar experience if you decide to do that next year. I go to Illinois every time, but only because it's a short drive from Indy and I LOVE going to away games regardless of location.

Nebraska fanbase is chill like others said. They'll invite you into their tailgate, be polite, etc. Traffic is beastly from Omaha in, but you can find (expensive) parking once you're in Lincoln. Game will be sold out, but not as crazy an atmosphere as a place like Iowa IMO. Visitor seating is horrible. You'll be at the tippy top the stadium and virtually unable to leave your seat the entire game. I wouldn't go back honestly, but many others LOVE making this trip because the stadium, team, and town are iconic and they get treated well as visitors.

I've never been to Wisconsin, but I hear it's pretty similar to Iowa where I've been a lot: awesome college town, tailgating all around the stadium, insanely loud, very tightly packed stadium (which I hate as mentioned above...so take comfort into account). Fans will absolutely roast you before, during, and after the game. Kinda fun for that reason, but not if you have small kids with you or have thin skin. So be self-aware. Personally it doesn't bother me.

I've never been to Wisconsin...Fans will absolutely roast you before, during, and after the game. Kinda fun for that reason, but not if you have small kids with you or have thin skin. So be self-aware. Personally it doesn't bother me.

Not if you beat them like happened in 18. Half to 3/4 of the stadium was empty and no one had the balls to talk crap.

I've been to Nebraska and Iowa twice each and Wisconsin many, many times. All are fun and I never had a problem with fans at any of them. Nebraska fans go out of their way to be nice to you, but it does feel like the visitor section is two miles away from the field.

Been on many Gopher hockey road trips but never football. Only place I've had a problem was Wisconsin though. And it was an awful experience. Verbally and even physically harassed after the game. Before the game people were ok but after was awful.

I'll chime in...I thought Nebby was...Meh. Tailgating lots are nowhere near the stadium (at least 15 minute walk), so it is pretty much dead by it until people start heading into the stadium, and then dead right after.

There are definitely tailgate lots closer to the stadium than 15 minute walk. We were southwest of the stadium the two times I've been there and it was live and active both before and after. I'd say maybe two blocks from the stadium. Guy I was with had a spot in the donor lot, so that helped for sure. Maybe my experience is skewed by that location, but Nebraska has been my favorite place to attend a road game. Definitely planning to go again this fall.

There are definitely tailgate lots closer to the stadium than 15 minute walk. We were southwest of the stadium the two times I've been there and it was live and active both before and after. I'd say maybe two blocks from the stadium. Guy I was with had a spot in the donor lot, so that helped for sure. Maybe my experience is skewed by that location, but Nebraska has been my favorite place to attend a road game. Definitely planning to go again this fall.
We came across one very small private looking lot maybe 3 blocks north from the stadium where there was a group tailgating. The University lots are where we saw tailgating were the ones over by the baseball/softball fields. We parked North of the stadium and walked from there past the stadium to Haymarket area for pregame. That one small lot was the only one we saw tailgating close to the stadium. We even commented how we didn't find any closer as we walked around. Leaving after the game, we went right by the lots by the baseball/softball fields, and that's where all the tailgaters were set up. The walk from there, because of the freeway, to the east entrance of the stadium is about 15 minutes.

Agh. I really want to Madison but I don’t want to put up with any verbal abuse (key word is abuse, not heckling). I have thick skin but not interested in being threatened over the colors I wear. Maybe I’m overthinking it. How’s the away fan section at camp Randal? Guessing it’s upper corner which is typical anywhere

Top Bottom