Archie Miller Fired at IU

I don't think this will impact the Gophers' candidate list. If IU is paying a $10 million buyout, one would hope they have a big fish target in mind who has some interest.

I assume they will be fishing in deeper waters so our list of potential coaches should be safe.

I'd think Beard on that one....

I’ll be curious where this one goes. They surely have boosters with deep pockets who care a lot about basketball, but they are already paying $10M to Archie and just gave their football coach a huge raise.

Stevens will be at the top of all their fan lists, but I give that about a 2% chance of happening. When that doesn’t pan out I could see them making a run at Beard. Not sure if they’d be able to pry him out of Texas and being close to his family there. Scott Drew or Nate Oats come to mind for more realistic possibilities. If they end up further down the list maybe Porter Moser or Mark Pope. I’m sure Matta and Beilein will be mentioned as well.

My guess is they go after Nate Oats. He has turned Bama into a perennial powerhouse in the SEC. that's impressive.

It would also suck is Bama became not just a blue blood in football but also basketball.

Jealous? Yes.

I don't think this will impact the Gophers' candidate list. If IU is paying a $10 million buyout, one would hope they have a big fish target in mind who has some interest.
Not directly, but they will likely cause a domino effect if they hire another Power 6 coach. If they get Stevens, no impact.

I agree, they fish in deeper waters than the Gophers.

Would not be surprised to see Beilein here.

I was curious about Oats as a possibility for the Gophers, given his upper midwest background, but then I read he recently signed a contract that would cost a $12 million buyout this season and $10 million next year, so I'd be surprised to see him moving at this point.
My guess is they go after Nate Oats. He has turned Bama into a perennial powerhouse in the SEC. that's impressive.

It would also suck is Bama became not just a blue blood in football but also basketball.

Jealous? Yes.

I was curious about Oats as a possibility for the Gophers, given his upper midwest background, but then I read he recently signed a contract that would cost a $12 million buyout this season and $10 million next year, so I'd be surprised to see him moving at this point.
I forgot that he had signed a new deal at Bama. Probably not very likely IU ponies up that kind of dough.

Is it reasonable to think that Indiana is the college hoops version of Nebraska football? A glorious program whose salad days have passed and now are imprisoned by unreasonable expectations from its alums and fan base?

Since the Hoosiers last won the National Championship in 1987, they have advanced to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament nine times (over 31 years), with two trips to the Final Four (in '02 with Mike Davis at the helm they made the national championship game). Since '02, they've advanced to the Sweet Sixteen three times (no further than that). Since Bob Knight was forced out, they have cycled through Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Crean, and Archie Miller--three of those four coaches came into Indiana with a pretty strong resume and all left (or are leaving in Miller's case) with their reputations rather sullied.

It just doesn't look like that great of job to me--you're dealing with the spectre of Knight and the glory days (which an honest appraisal of indicates he had fallen way off his lofty standards over the last eight years of his reign), you're operating in a conference that's very strong overall, and expectations are sky high, like achievement at the level of Kansas, Kentucky, UNC high, as that's who Indiana basketball considers as their peers.

If their dream of Stevens doesn't come to fruition, they'd be fortunate to get Beilein. And if it's not those two. . .well, next coach, negotiate a high buyout for the inevitable firing.

Is it reasonable to think that Indiana is the college hoops version of Nebraska football? A glorious program whose salad days have passed and now are imprisoned by unreasonable expectations from its alums and fan base?

Since the Hoosiers last won the National Championship in 1987, they have advanced to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament nine times (over 31 years), with two trips to the Final Four (in '02 with Mike Davis at the helm they made the national championship game). Since '02, they've advanced to the Sweet Sixteen three times (no further than that). Since Bob Knight was forced out, they have cycled through Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Crean, and Archie Miller--three of those four coaches came into Indiana with a pretty strong resume and all left (or are leaving in Miller's case) with their reputations rather sullied.

It just doesn't look like that great of job to me--you're dealing with the spectre of Knight and the glory days (which an honest appraisal of indicates he had fallen way off his lofty standards over the last eight years of his reign), you're operating in a conference that's very strong overall, and expectations are sky high, like achievement at the level of Kansas, Kentucky, UNC high, as that's who Indiana basketball considers as their peers.

If their dream of Stevens doesn't come to fruition, they'd be fortunate to get Beilein. And if it's not those two. . .well, next coach, negotiate a high buyout for the inevitable firing.
Good post. I think no one's been mentioning Jamie Dixon either (for any of these jobs including Gophers). He would be similar next level down type coach who is respected. TCU is tough nut, so I don't focus too much on his record there. Not sure his energy level. When you look at Kelvin Sampson. . .and he couldn't get it done at IU, you know it's tough. People have mixed views on Sampson, but he can friggin coach.

Good post. I think no one's been mentioning Jamie Dixon either (for any of these jobs including Gophers). He would be similar next level down type coach who is respected. TCU is tough nut, so I don't focus too much on his record there. Not sure his energy level. When you look at Kelvin Sampson. . .and he couldn't get it done at IU, you know it's tough. People have mixed views on Sampson, but he can friggin coach.
Edit/correction to my own post! I forgot recruiting and other misdeeds were Sampson's demise at not just IU, but I think Oklahoma he left a mess.

Good post - nothing lasts forever and the sun may well have set on their hoops empire.

If you think Nebby fans aren't graceful about their decline, i think it will pale in comparison if their next hire flops as well; they think they invented basketball and perfected it.

Edit/correction to my own post! I forgot recruiting and other misdeeds were Sampson's demise at not just IU, but I think Oklahoma he left a mess.

Some people can't help themselves when they see a cookie jar - he's the cookie monster of coaching.

My nominee for phrase of the day:

Athletic director Scott Dolson released a statement confirming Miller's firing, saying that "private philanthropic funding" paid for Miller's buyout, which was more than $10 million.

I don’t think Indiana basketball is down quite as bad as Nebraska football. The state of Indiana is much more flush with basketball talent than Nebraska is with football talent, and it seems blue chip basketball recruits still somewhat consider it a point of pride to play for their home state Hoosiers. I think Indiana basketball still retains a level of recruiting clout that Nebraska football doesn’t, and catching lightning in a bottle and quickly turning a program around seems more doable in basketball than football.
It does seem like they pulled the trigger a little quickly on Archie, and I guess it could make future potential hires a little uneasy if they feel that making some early mistakes and being a bubble or NIT team for a couple years is gonna get them fired.

The difference between Nebraska and Indiana is that Lincoln is in the middle of nowhere and it's not easy to recruit to. Many schools have caught up and surpassed Nebraska over the last 20 years when it comes to facilities and some of the other recruiting advantages they once had. They also don't have another D1 football program in the state.

Indiana is a little more like Michigan in football. Purdue is in the same state, just two hours up the road, and has been much more successful than Indiana during the Painter years. Similar to how Dantonio had Michigan St as a better program than Michigan for many years.

They have programs just down the road that have been more successful than the blue blood or helmet school in the same state. Indiana is a talent hotbed, and they will keep firing and hiring until they have more success than Purdue. Nebraska may never be what they once were just due to how much the college football world has changed over the last 20 years.

Jealous? Yes.
Easy on the “perennial power” statement

oats has been at Bama for 2 years. 0.500 recored last year. great year this year. Keepin mind both Kentucky and Florida are down this year.
would love to have him here myself, but will wait to declare total victory

Top Bottom