Anyone know who the wealthy alumni are?

Besides T. Denny Sanford. Interested with the large amount of money the U needs to raise for the practice facilities.

Shouldn't Earl Bakken (Medtronic founder) be added to that list? Even though Irvin Jacobs didn't finish at the U he was a student wasn't he?

He held a fundraiser a few years back to endow a scholarship in his name. I think it was the NCAA that wouldn't allow him to donate until his death due to conflict of interest or whatever.

Hopefully he comes around and Woody can get some money out of him.

Just how rich is Sid? I'm sure he is a millionaire several times over but are we talking 10's of millions?

A long time ago the Strib had a piece on Sid's wealth. From day one of his working career Sid and a partner have been buying and keeping rental property. They never took money out, they just kept plowing it back into the business. They own many, many rental units. I don't know if the partner is still alive and/or if they still have the units. As I said the piece was a long time ago > 20 years. At that time Sid was estimated to be worth 20 to 25 million. For those who don't know, Sid grew up very poor and I don't even think he graduated form 8th grade. Many people who grow up poor are very cheap even after they become financially secure. I have a hard time listening to Sid any more but he has been a great friend of the U.

Just how rich is Sid? I'm sure he is a millionaire several times over but are we talking 10's of millions?

Sid is a pauper. He is still selling newspapers at the paper stand for 40 cents each. He is the StarTribune's top on the street seller. He works with Wally the Beerman, "free beer with a Strib, here!!!".

I wouldnt count on T Denny for anything major. He likes attention (who doesnt) and has given over $400 million to Sanford Health, but less than $5 million to his alma mater. He will chip in, a nice gift to be sure, but kind of disappointing when you understand the gift in context of his potential. He has said many times he wants to die penniless.

All these lists you have are a joke if they dont start with Marty Davis, who owns Sun Country, Cambria, etc. He donates some private jet time for coaches/U officials as well.

Top Bottom