Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

Or is he?

U71Ms.gif

LOL!!!

scher215 made a really good position statement on the Thoughts on Teague/Ellis Thread:

"You think Flip should have the power over his boss? Are you kidding? "

Flip will not be the coach. There will no going back to restart the talks.

If he loved the U he should have known he would have to keep his kid at arms length from the program. The press would eat it alive - especially after Saul. If he loved the U that much Ryan could be a volunteer.

Ummm, not really. They didn't eat Saul alive even after his DUI. They didn't get on Monson for basically riding his dad's coat tails into the industry. They didn't get on Brent Haskins. They don't get on Dutcher's son. Same with Eric Musselman.

Pretyt nepotistic industry, and why decide to draw the line here and now especially when RYAN WAS ALREADY an U OF MN ASSISTANT COAH UNDER THE PREVIOUS HC?

Ummm, not really. They didn't eat Saul alive even after his DUI. They didn't get on Monson for basically riding his dad's coat tails into the industry. They didn't get on Brent Haskins. They don't get on Dutcher's son. Same with Eric Musselman.

Pretyt nepotistic industry, and why decide to draw the line here and now especially when RYAN WAS ALREADY an U OF MN ASSISTANT COAH UNDER THE PREVIOUS HC?

You make a good point about coaching being a nepotistic industry.

Kind of like the movie industry. I know my father was a teacher and a coach, and I got into coaching/teaching, go figure.

Gave the Saul vs Ryan bit a lot of thought and see both sides. At the end though Ryan's connections to the U, his being a two time captain here, etc in my opinion weigh more heavily than not wanting to repeat the issues with Saul. They are two different men with entirely different backgrounds who likely have nothing in common but for famous fathers who coach basketball. I could be wrong but my guess is Ryan would have recruited well for us; he has a ton of experiences to sell.

Gave the Saul vs Ryan bit a lot of thought and see both sides. At the end though Ryan's connections to the U, his being a two time captain here, etc in my opinion weigh more heavily than not wanting to repeat the issues with Saul. They are two different men with entirely different backgrounds who likely have nothing in common but for famous fathers who coach basketball. I could be wrong but my guess is Ryan would have recruited well for us; he has a ton of experiences to sell.

If Teague has a policy against nepotism he has to stick with it. You don't decide those policies on a case by case basis.......I've stated this before. Many employers don't allow nepotism for good reason. If Flip only want the job with his son, he really doesn't want the job.

Is this the only issue with Teague and Flip?.......none of us know.

They are not different. Both have no resume and SOB [Son of Boss]. Flip wants to hire him he can - as his personal consultant or chauffeur out of his own personal pocket. No more daddy son routines at the U. Please.

If Teague has a policy against nepotism he has to stick with it. You don't decide those policies on a case by case basis.......I've stated this before. Many employers don't allow nepotism for good reason. If Flip only want the job with his son, he really doesn't want the job.

Is this the only issue with Teague and Flip?.......none of us know.

Probably more to it for sure - I have suspected all along the clique Flip wanted to bring in was his old Timberwolves Country Club. The same group who failed there. Teague I am betting would have hired Flip if he had vowed to not got that route but instead open the search totally to bring in the best college assistants he could find - they don't have to be 'close personal friends' as he would be building a program from the ground up.

That's a lot of work - for a guy looking to step up to pro GM role someday - that probably didn't have a lot of appeal and Teague wasn't excited about hiring a guy who wasn't up to that.

Flip should hold out for the Timberwolves GM position - better suits him - that too will open up fairly soon the way that ship is listing.

Meanwhile the U needs to find a hungry aggressive preferably young coach. It is going to be a slog.

It's the same concept. You're bringing in people you know and are comfortable with instead of who the best candidates are.

A parent's view of their kid's abilities are almost always skewed. Just go to a local Little League game to see this.

If this truly is dead and the sole reason is because of the assistants, doesn't that also show that maybe mean it wasn't as much of a dream job for him that many people thought? I just can't see giving up that quickly if it truly was your dream job.

Responding to the comments about Kentucky's recruiting class: I could see it potentially backfiring. That's a lot of guys to have on the team that expect a lot of playing time right away (especially since it sounds like most players are coming back from this year's freshman class). 9 or 10 guys can't all get 30 minutes a game.

Good point, thanks for bringing this up.

My gut tells me Flip leaked(and possibly made up) the part about being #1 candidate and the part about him declining.

To what avail? Why would he make anything up? If he got offered- then indeed he was the #1 candidate - at that point. If he got offered the job - then indeed he did decline it. If he is making up the offer then that means he's trying to hurt the U (because the story is damaging). That seems highly unlikely. Flip wanted the job in order to help the U win. Period.

Except he won't promise that and Teague won't ask him for it. He will ask what is your plan to improve the team next year, three years and six years from now. Specifics. Who do you think you can sign as assistants? Where are their recruiting strengths?

The so called 'big three' won't even come up.

Oh, we stupid Flip guys forget........who needs the big three anyway? Not us, there are just oodles more of them coming down the pike. Much better to be average for several years and see what happens in 3 to six years. Let's chat again in 6 years when you come back to around to present your wisdom on the next hiring.

bga1 - it seems so simple to us, what are we missing?

Pride and power are big obstacles. It appears that both parties wanted to keep more of both than the other could handle. Too bad.

bga1 - it seems so simple to us, what are we missing?

We are missing that those against hiring Flip are haters. They are blinded by their hate.

Want to know what experience UNC's current head bb coach had before getting his first Assistant Coaching position AT UNC??? He was a high school bb coach.

WOW!!! Unbelievable that a HOFer like Dean Smith would want a guy with NO prior Asst Coaching experience on his staff?!

And how could UNC, an ACC school, allow such an unqualified person to be hired for such an extremely important position?????

Seems former UNC Head Coach Bill Guthridge got his first Assistant Coaching job at Kansas St, with only HS coaching experience.

What are all of these BCS level schools doing hiring such unqualified people as assistant coaches?!

Bill Self, KU's current head coach, got his first job as an Assistant Coach AT KANSAS, right out of college. Larry Brown hired him to replace Calipari.

WOW!!!

What a bunch of idiots, hiring all of these clearly unqualified assistant coaches.

Bill Self, KU's current head coach, got his first job as an Assistant Coach AT KANSAS, right out of college. Larry Brown hired him to replace Calipari.

WOW!!!

What a bunch of idiots, hiring all of these clearly unqualified assistant coaches.

Do you ever shut up?

Purdue hired Steve Lavin as an Assistant Coach right out after he finished his playing career. NO experience as an assistant coach of any kind?!

WOW!!!

Seems Coach K got his first assistant coaching job at INDIANA.

The idiot Bobby Knight hired him with NO experience as an assistant coach whatsoever.

WOW!!!!

People...nothing is etched in stone.

Steve Alford recently signed a 10 year agreement with New Mexico. He bolted to UCLA. You guys get all wigged out over Katz and his " Flip turns down U" article. Nothing is OVER till Woody says it is and Woody isn't talking. If your smart, take everything the media is saying with a grain of salt. Nadine, Amelia, Doogie, locally; Katz and the other national media are grasping at thin air. I think there are several
coaches still in play including Flip.

Indiana, Kansas, UNC, Purdue.

NONE of those schools were too good to hire an assistant coach with ZERO college assistant coaching experience.

But yet Minnesota fans are claiming that we are too good to hire such???

Serious?!

And just so you know, I spent a whole 10 minutes surfing Wikipedia to find that info and I only looked at 5 colleges basically and only looked at 1-3 coaches at each of those schools.

Just imagine if I really spent some time looking into this issue?!

Ryan Saunders is starting to look plenty experienced.

Top Bottom