Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

I have been watching this song and dance for many many years. The really good ones in FB and BB rarely go here. And never when the program is shaky. Many of our greatest U hero's weren't that highly recruited - not nationally anyway. Most were developed by good coaches while at the U. These kids appear to be the real deals - they will see recruiting pressure we can not possibly match now.

That is my whole point - forget about what they want and build a freaking program that will draw blue chips from anywhere, every year. If we do that we'll be fine. If we can't do that we won't sign them here either - the nice people from Duke will find them here. They aren't secrets.

And yes I know that - everyone with half a brain knows that.

Every individual recruitment is independent of the others. Players have different criteria when making a decision. I do not believe that you or anyone else here knows exactly what that criteria is for these guys. Also, don't compare football to basketball. Apples and oranges. Our recruitment with the local players isn't over until they sign somewhere. Period.

Every individual recruitment is independent of the others. Also, don't compare football to basketball. Apples and oranges. Our recruitment with the local players isn't over until they sign somewhere. Period.

Sure. Believe that if you like.

Part of the problem with U fans is they always want to shoot the moon - go for the super stars and if we don't get them its all fail - instead of recruit solid players and hire coaches with strong histories of development. Build teams.

Well - until we hired Kill that is - he is the first in a long time in either FB or BB we've had like that. I would be real happy to have a BB coach come in with the same basic philosophy - try to get the stars to sign but if not - move on and recruit kids who want to play here and work hard to make them better every year. Do that and maybe we don't produce as many one and done NBAers but have better teams. Sometimes I think Tubby tried to do that - he never put the assistants together to consistently be successful doing it - it unraveled every year at crunch time.

NT to Flip...I know you are the sweetheart of the boosters, I know you have had a successful career, especially at the CBA level developing players for the NBA, so tell me what do you think the chances are that you can sign any of the big 3 or all of them..

Flip to NT, I have taken a interest in all of them and seen them play many times. The talent is there. I think I have a 70% chance of landing one of them, 35% at two of them and 20% at all three. And by the way I can improve the games of all three once they are on campus.

NT to Flip....here sign on the dotted line.

NT to Flip...I know you are the sweetheart of the boosters, I know you have had a successful career, especially at the CBA level developing players for the NBA, so tell me what do you think the chances are that you can sign any of the big 3 or all of them..

Flip to NT, I have taken a interest in all of them and seen them play many times. The talent is there. I think I have a 70% chance of landing one of them, 35% at two of them and 20% at all three. And by the way I can improve the games of all three once they are on campus.

NT to Flip....here sign on the dotted line.

Except he won't promise that and Teague won't ask him for it. He will ask what is your plan to improve the team next year, three years and six years from now. Specifics. Who do you think you can sign as assistants? Where are their recruiting strengths?

The so called 'big three' won't even come up.

I may not get a chance to post here for awhile, but at least I have made myself clear, I think Flip is the man for the job. And NT has a overinflated view of himself.

I still think Flip would rather be back with the Wolves in some capacity whether as GM or a new ownership group...think using the Ryan card for not taking the job was his way of saying no to the job without making him look like the bad guy for not riding in on his white horse to save the program

If this is true, good for Teague. He is the boss and he isn't going to let some coach push him around...unless a coach wants to drop an opponent because he's scared of losing. Then, he's spineless.

I don't think you get it. For Flip this wasn't going to be a job it was going to be a mission and a passion of his to fulfill. What better when you are doing what you have dreamt to do but take your son along for the ride. He didn't need to do this, but he wanted to do it for the U. That's probably why he felt a little extra kick in the face when Teague who doesn't have a drop of knowledge by comparison started to tell him what his staff would look like or wouldn't.

On second thought I'd rather get another mercenary in here.

The clown that you responded to just doesn't get it and never will. We have a chance to energize our program, get the fundraising in gear, and have a chance to land one or more of the big 3 and our AD decides that he is going to be a genius and not allow a father to hire a more than qualified son as part of his coaching staff. Unless he has a rabbit up his sleeve, we had the chance to make a hire that would take care of all of the above and it may be as good as gone.

While I would love the big 3, it shouldnt be that big of a goal. Considering how unlikely it is for us to land them anyway. Even if we do get them....players of that caliber go to college only because they have to. They stop off on the way to the NBA. Staying 1 year or maybe 2 if we're lucky assuming theyre as good as advertised. It'd be a big boost for that one or two years but then we'd be back to where we started.

Barreiro talking about Flip right now. Nothing really new. He knows for sure Flip was offered and turned it down. Dan's sources said the main deal breaker was Flip not being able to choose his staff.

Barreiro talking about Flip right now. Nothing really new. He knows for sure Flip was offered and turned it down. Dan's sources said the main deal breaker was Flip not being able to choose his staff.

I'm beginning to think Teague continues to burrow down a dark hole, we know for sure he offered Flip the job which most though wasn't in Teague's top 3. The only choice he has at this point is to find more money... This could end well, but it appears Teague overplayed his hand in a ploy to satisfy a donor or donors.

The bold is an extremely vague statement. Does it mean Teague wanted to choose all of Flip's assistant coaches, does it mean no nepotism; or somewhere in between?

The bold is an extremely vague statement. Does it mean Teague wanted to choose all of Flip's assistant coaches, does it mean no nepotism; or somewhere in between?
Either way it appears Teague thinks he has a fat stack of chips, the only problem is you can't pluck an assistant to the B1G like you can the CAA.

I think it's safe to say that this job is not as great as most people on this board thinks it is. I thought Flip was a sure thing. IDK maybe he thought the team he's acquiring next year is not that great ( bottom big 10 team again) and he might also know that there's no chance of getting any of the big 3 2014 recruits. He just didn't want to be set up for failure.

Did I miss something or did some one here on gopher hole get a glimpse of Teague's priority list. It looks like everybody who has been mentioned for the job is put forward by someone else who thinks they can read the ad's mind or he (Teague) should consult with them to make this hire. All this is speculation to stir the pat because the sportswriters have been shut out.

Did I miss something or did some one here on gopher hole get a glimpse of Teague's priority list. It looks like everybody who has been mentioned for the job is put forward by someone else who thinks they can read the ad's mind or he (Teague) should consult with them to make this hire. All this is speculation to stir the pat because the sportswriters have been shut out.
His priority list is pretty apparent.

Really? Did he come on here or anywhere else and say this is who we want? No, not apparent.

I have been watching this song and dance for many many years. The really good ones in FB and BB rarely go here. And never when the program is shaky. Many of our greatest U hero's weren't that highly recruited - not nationally anyway. Most were developed by good coaches while at the U. These kids appear to be the real deals - they will see recruiting pressure we can not possibly match now.

That is my whole point - forget about what they want and build a freaking program that will draw blue chips from anywhere, every year. If we do that we'll be fine. If we can't do that we won't sign them here either - the nice people from Duke will find them here. They aren't secrets.

And yes I know that - everyone with half a brain knows that.

Mchale, Thompson, Sam J, are examples to the contrary.....

Really? Did he come on here or anywhere else and say this is who we want? No, not apparent.

It doesn't require a list from Norwood Teague himself to figure it out, if that's what you require that's your deal.

Just because Saunders declined doesnt mean he doesn't want the job. Teague probably offered it without his son to start to see what Flip said. Next he'll probably offer the job with his son too and then the freedom to choose who his assistants will be. If that doesn't work, Teague will probably let Saunders hire his staff

Just because Saunders declined doesnt mean he doesn't want the job. Teague probably offered it without his son to start to see what Flip said. Next he'll probably offer the job with his son too and then the freedom to choose who his assistants will be. If that doesn't work, Teague will probably let Saunders hire his staff

No he won't.

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but sometimes these deals get put back together, though it's more difficult to do with all of the surrounding publicity. It would probably take an intermediary (Kaler?) and a couple of face saving moves. I wouldn't be surprised to see Flip on board in a day or two.

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but sometimes these deals get put back together, though it's more difficult to do with all of the surrounding publicity. It would probably take an intermediary (Kaler?) and a couple of face saving moves. I wouldn't be surprised to see Flip on board in a day or two.

For what it's worth, about a half hour ago Barreiro said he thinks it's over and that both sides have moved on.

I don't think that is the case but I really hope it is.

This was my feeling as well. The initial offer was rejected by flip, Monday and Tuesday are spent renegotiating. By mid week there is still a chance they come to some kind of agreement, if not we move on maybe try to lure Marshall?

If there was still room to negotiate, I don't think it gets leaked to the press that he was offered and turned it down. Someone, either Flip or someone in his circle, leaked that to Katz. It's not like Flip's trying to get a new deal with ESPN.

If there was still room to negotiate, I don't think it gets leaked to the press that he was offered and turned it down. Someone, either Flip or someone in his circle, leaked that to Katz. It's not like Flip's trying to get a new deal with ESPN.

Or is he?

U71Ms.gif

My gut tells me Flip leaked(and possibly made up) the part about being #1 candidate and the part about him declining.

Top Bottom