An appeal...

A fellow fan of college football sent me the following article today. I'll pull a few excerpts here because they seem directly relevant to this discussion - but the entire article should serve as a reminder of what we should HOPE for the Gopher program/fans to become. And spare me the "Nebraska ran up the score on the Gophers" whining - not relevant to the message of the article. Knowing many fans in Nebraska and having been to games in Lincoln, I can assure you that what the writer describes is true whether they are playing a small directional school or their biggest rival (OU or CU).

http://www.espn1420.com/SportsBlogs/tabid/3710/EntryID/6695/Default.aspx

Now I'm sure that I'm just dreaming, but I would really like to see this same level of class from fans of Gopher Nation whether the Gophs are playing SDSU, NDSU or Wisconsin or Iowa. Based on the posts I'm seeing here it appears there is a fat chance of that ever happening though. And I don't care if fans of other teams treat us poorly...can't we be better than them?

GO GOPHERS!!!
I attended the Okla/Neb game known as "Game of the Century II" in 1987. Nebraska and Oklahoma had a rivalry almost as strong as Mich/OSU back then. I can tell you for certain there were no cheers for the Sooners that day. The boos; however, were very loud. Too bad for the #1 Huskers, the #2 Sooners beat them that day.

Nebraska may cheer for teams they have no emotion over, but you will not get me to believe that they will cheer for the Sooners, Buffaloes, Jayhawks, Longhorns, etc. As I said above, there were plenty of booing, swearing, name calling, and general bad treatment in Lincoln that day. Could they have changed in 22 years? I suppose, but come on, the scenario you describe is pretty hard to believe. I just don't buy it. :rolleyes:

Now I'm sure that I'm just dreaming, but I would really like to see this same level of class from fans of Gopher Nation whether the Gophs are playing SDSU, NDSU or Wisconsin or Iowa. Based on the posts I'm seeing here it appears there is a fat chance of that ever happening though. And I don't care if fans of other teams treat us poorly...can't we be better than them?

Like has already been said, I believe that is an embellishment. I refuse to believe that they applaud their rivals on and off the field.

Aside from that, I think it's patronizing to welcome the opposing team that way (service academies excepted). It's your field - you're supposed to boo the enemy. There is no other way.

Also, Wisconsucks.

GO GOPHERS!!![/QUOTE]

I politely applaud teams* as they enter our stadium, clap along with their fight songs* during pregame, and even acknowledge a hard-fought win from time to time. We should remember these are college-aged kids and we should exhibit class and dignity as Minnesota fans.

(* except Wisconsin)

Welcome to the Wisconsin Exception. Wisconsin is our most bitter rival. True Wisconsin fans and players understand Minnesota fans afford them the ultimate respect when we treat them, for lack of a more appropriate term, like crap. That doesn't mean we taunt or throw things at Wisconsinners, but it does mean we should feel free to lustily boo the bojangles out of them when they enter Our House on Saturday.

Like has already been said, I believe that is an embellishment. I refuse to believe that they applaud their rivals on and off the field.

Aside from that, I think it's patronizing to welcome the opposing team that way (service academies excepted). It's your field - you're supposed to boo the enemy. There is no other way.

Also, Wisconsucks.

PLENTY of Big Ten teams and nearly ALL non-conference teams were politely welcomed at the Dome. Iowa and Wisconsin WEREN'T and if you remember the booze-induced behavior of their fans they never should be at TCF.

NEVER, EVER.

Nebraska may have been polite to Louisiana-Lafeyette, but that's not respect, that is condescending. They were polite because they didn't respect them at all. When Nebraska's rivals come to down, Nebraska fans boo them.

Like I said, I've been to a number of games in Lincoln. The opposition is applauded both to welcome them and when they leave the field at the end of the game. I guess I can't say for sure that Oklahoma wasn't booed during the game (as another poster mentioned) but I 100% guarantee they were applauded when the left the field in victory.

Nebraska may have been polite to Louisiana-Lafeyette, but that's not respect, that is condescending. They were polite because they didn't respect them at all. When Nebraska's rivals come to down, Nebraska fans boo them.

From the article:

"Now you might say...sure, it's easy to clap for someone when you just beat them 55-0. But they do that when their team LOSES. The newspaper on Saturday morning reprinted a handwritten letter from Florida State coach Bobby Bowden after the Seminoles got a hard fought 18-14 win years ago. Yep, the Nebraska fans cheered them as they left."

And Nebraska fans have a VERY strong dislike for any school from Florida. ;)

Welcome to the Wisconsin Exception. Wisconsin is our most bitter rival. True Wisconsin fans and players understand Minnesota fans afford them the ultimate respect when we treat them, for lack of a more appropriate term, like crap. That doesn't mean we taunt or throw things at Wisconsinners, but it does mean we should feel free to lustily boo the bojangles out of them when they enter Our House on Saturday.

You applaud lesser opponents. It's like going easy on your 10-year old nephew in basketball. Booing a lesser opponent is like slam dunking on your 10-year old nephew.

But to cheer a rival is to treat them like they ARE your 10-year old nephew.

There will be no holding back, no quarter asked or given from player or fan.

To paraphrase Shakespeare "Cry Havok! And let slip the dogs of football!"

Another appropriate Shakespeare quote "Lay on, McDuff, and damned be him that first cried 'hold, enough!'"

From the article:

"Now you might say...sure, it's easy to clap for someone when you just beat them 55-0. But they do that when their team LOSES. The newspaper on Saturday morning reprinted a handwritten letter from Florida State coach Bobby Bowden after the Seminoles got a hard fought 18-14 win years ago. Yep, the Nebraska fans cheered them as they left."

And Nebraska fans have a VERY strong dislike for any school from Florida. ;)

FSU plays in the Big 12 now? When did this happen? Doesn't seem very geographically probable...

You know, this thread is getting my dad gum chili even hotter! :D

Updating the rivalry/fan thoughts...

I again thought of this thread after reading the article below. Given that the Iowa game is coming up (even though it's an away game), and people in this thread have been adamant that it isn't possible to be respectful to rivals, I again wish that we could raise the bar just a bit when it comes to how we view the competition (and yes, I continue to be well aware it's just wishful thinking on my part).

http://newsok.com/why-cant-every-pl...article/3415368?custom_click=lead_story_title - written by an Oklahoma sports columnist

Oklahoma’s Barry Switzer era experienced such hospitality.

"Pretty classy at the stadium, at the hotel, wherever you encounter them,” said Merv Johnson, OU’s assistant head coach from 1979-94 and now the Sooner radio analyst.

Johnson recalled the 1986 OU-NU game, when the Sooners won 20-17 with a stirring rally. "They were totally stunned,” Johnson said of the Husker fans. "They stayed in the stands. But still, they were complimentary and kind. Nobody said anything about being lucky.”

The Bob Stoops era is no different.

"The more you play up there, the more you understand they appreciate good football,” said Stoops, who has been coming to Lincoln for 20 years with either Kansas State or OU.

"Even 2005, when we won, there were people applauding you. That’s their culture. That’s how they do things. It’s pretty neat.”

Stoops is right. Class indeed is part of the Nebraska culture. "It’s something we’re very proud of,” said Randy York, director of husker.com. "It’s not perfection, but it is sincere and it is overwhelming.”

Why can’t everywhere be like Lincoln? Well, hard to put the knucklehead back in the bottle. Make no mistake, Nebraska has its share of goobers. But its fans seem to self-police. The crowd mentality, which afflicted humans long before layout of the first gridiron, is beaten back in Nebraska.

"Fans around here have a long enough memory, they don’t appreciate a lot of booing or negative thoughts being said about our players or other players,” said Tom Osborne, Nebraska’s coach from 1973-97 and now its athletic director.

"When you go through losing, the worst comes out in people. But there’s enough positive tradition here, it would take awhile for it to take hold.”

The stories of Nebraska class — from Bobby Bowden’s thank-you letter 30 years ago to Jay Walker’s blog — feed off each other.

Read more: http://newsok.com/why-cant-every-pl...8?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0WOa3AOYH

In re-reading the article I realize this could also be posted in the thread that discusses the Gopher fans booing Weber. As this article correctly states - there are "goobers" everywhere. With a little effort though I just wish we collectively could strive to be known as the best fans in the Big Ten.

Also, Wisconsucks.

Please see the update - TIA.

Please see the update - TIA.

I've got a friend that goes down to Nebraska for a game every year. He said the Missouri fans in particular, would disagree with how classy the Cornhusker fans are.

I get what you're saying Clyde, but yeah, as Osborne it's a LOT easier to be classy to your opponent when you're use to winning 9/10 times every year. We read here again and again about how classy tOSU and Penn State fans are. The Texas and Pitt boards have been full of posts in the past about how bad their fans were treated at games in Columbus and Happy Valley respectively.

All that said, we politely applaud the visiting team at TCF. Can't say we did that for Iowa and Wisconsin at the Dome.

I've got a friend that goes down to Nebraska for a game every year. He said the Missouri fans in particular, would disagree with how classy the Cornhusker fans are.

Well, to be fair, Missouri fans (along with Colorado fans) are known as the dregs of Big XII fandom so I'm not surprised to hear this. There will always be pockets of bad experiences - but there are many here on this board who openly admit they wish for nothing more than for all Gopher fans to be disrespectful to Wisconsin/Iowa. I'd just like it to remain the M.O. of the few, not the norm.

And yes, it certainly might be easier to be classy winning 9/10 each year, but I've long said on this board that to be considered a big time program we have to act like one. That means in the way we recruit, our facilities, how we coach, and how we act as fans. Like I said, I'm aware I'm just dreaming... ;)
[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom