All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

I did catch it. Yeah, I agree. Going to get nasty. Did they go a little Pulp Fiction in the order of the scenes?

I did catch it. Yeah, I agree. Going to get nasty. Did they go a little Pulp Fiction in the order of the scenes?

Did you see Longmire last night? The previews talked about a regular character "going down". Any guess on who?

- On Breaking Bad, watched the show through about 3 seasons. Cranston was great, Aaron Paul was very good but the coincidences and the "dumbness" of every character except White and maybe Saul, just irritated me enough to quit watching. Still "read" every week's episode on the AV Club though. :eek:

The last season has been getting nothing but praise though. Might take a look again.

Did you see Longmire last night? The previews talked about a regular character "going down". Any guess on who?

- On Breaking Bad, watched the show through about 3 seasons. Cranston was great, Aaron Paul was very good but the coincidences and the "dumbness" of every character except White and maybe Saul, just irritated me enough to quit watching. Still "read" every week's episode on the AV Club though. :eek:

The last season has been getting nothing but praise though. Might take a look again.

No, didn't catch Longmire. Hmmm, something to do with the slow leak in the tire? Tribal leader or maybe Branch's father?

Have you gotten to Gus & Mike yet? Both are great characters and well-acted. I think the seasons get better as you go. Walt gets less lucky and more calculating as he "breaks".

Did anyone watch the new episode of Breaking Bad on Sunday? Oh man, that last line floored me. This is going to get nasty.

"You might want to tread lightly." Perfect line.

Have you gotten to Gus & Mike yet? Both are great characters and well-acted. I think the seasons get better as you go. Walt gets less lucky and more calculating as he "breaks".

Just barely and that's where I stopped. I was just tired of screaming "you're kidding me right?" at the TV. Completely understand the praise the show is getting, just don't share in all of it.

Wont spoil it for you than, but those questions were answered last night.
Just finished the episode "Natural Order". Ok, so it's the coming episode that a character goes down. Walt really wanted to cleanse himself in this one. I get a kick out of the character Lou Diamond Phillips plays. Never a conjunction. I always catch myself listening closely when he speaks. It took me till the second season to realize that Ruby is Mrs. Saracen from Friday Night Lights. Also, didn't Vic mention to her husband, "they found me" in a previous episode? Was that what she said?

Just finished the episode "Natural Order". Ok, so it's the coming episode that a character goes down. Walt really wanted to cleanse himself in this one. I get a kick out of the character Lou Diamond Phillips plays. Never a conjunction. I always catch myself listening closely when he speaks. It took me till the second season to realize that Ruby is Mrs. Saracen from Friday Night Lights. Also, didn't Vic mention to her husband, "they found me" in a previous episode? Was that what she said?

Phillips seems to be getting a big kick out of playing the character. It's pretty understandable too.

Yeah, she did say that and then it was apparently dropped. Like they way they do that because even though nearly all episodes have a "self-contained" plot there are threads that run through them, but those threads don't turn the show into another "soap opera" drama. A heck-of-a-lot more people seem to like those more than me.

In the case of Vic's "trackers", the previews of the last two episodes seem to indicate that Vic will meet those people head-on.

Looks like I'm going to have to stay away from this thread for awhile. I'm only on season 3 of Breaking Bad.

I thought the first episode of this season of Breaking Bad was fantastic. I was surprised they moved the storyline between Walter and Hank along so quickly, but it looks like it will be an intense last few episodes!

Just a fantastic show, I can't recommend it enough.

Go Walter White!!

I thought the first episode of this season of Breaking Bad was fantastic. I was surprised they moved the storyline between Walter and Hank along so quickly, but it looks like it will be an intense last few episodes!

Just a fantastic show, I can't recommend it enough.

Go Walter White!!
Go Heisenburg!!

Last night Mythbusters had their Breaking Bad episode.

Meanwhile, the rest of us have been wondering for five years now, what the hell did Walt throw on the floor when he was in Tuco’s hideout that blew out all the windows and allowed him to walk out unscathed? And is it legally obtainable? And does it work at high school reunions? Thanks to Jamie and Adam, the world is now better enlightened on this pressing issue. Checking in from time to time are Aaron Paul and a man with a deep, Southern twang to his voice who I first thought was Marc Maron after a spa weekend, but who is in fact Vince Gilligan.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/breaking-bad-special,101479/

Has anyone watched any of the direct to streaming shows?

I enjoyed House of Cards and season 4 of Arrested Development. I am 9 episodes through Orange is the New Black, and have watched all of the released episodes of The Awesomes. I think Orange is very well done (and seeing Taylor Schilling and Laura Prepon making out doesn't hurt) and The Awesomes is OK, it seems like a SNL skit (which it should, since the cast is full of SNL performers & writers). Also, is you don't mind subtitles Prisoners of War is worth a watch.

Anyone watching the new Christopher Guest show on HBO? I haven't seen it yet and it doesn't seem to be getting much press.

Anyone watching the new Christopher Guest show on HBO? I haven't seen it yet and it doesn't seem to be getting much press.

Family Tree? I watched the first season (I think it was only six episodes) and it's pretty good. If you're a fan of Guest I think you'll like it.

Any recommendations for new shows?

My wife and I have really enjoyed Brooklyn Nine-Nine so far but we're Andy Samberg fans.

Watched one episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Blacklist. I'm a little mixed so far. Probably watch a few more to see how it goes.

Any recommendations for new shows?

My wife and I have really enjoyed Brooklyn Nine-Nine so far but we're Andy Samberg fans.

Watched one episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Blacklist. I'm a little mixed so far. Probably watch a few more to see how it goes.

I have heard that Suits on USA Network is a really good show. It's currently in its third season on USA. We haven't seen any episodes yet, but the series comes highly recommended from a few people so we'll likely add it to our queue.

Go Gophers!!

I have heard that Suits on USA Network is a really good show. It's currently in its third season on USA. We haven't seen any episodes yet, but the series comes highly recommended from a few people so we'll likely add it to our queue.

I've watched only the pilot one time, but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and I need to get back to watching that series. Plus, the redhead really does it for me:

tumblr_lpdhl0DAbW1r0mokto3_500.gif

Really enjoyed Sherlock. Very happy it was recommended. Wish there were more episodes on Netflix. Started watching Boardwalk Empire. I'm about mid point into the second season and not liking it quite as much as hoped for. Maybe it's Steve Buscemi being the main character. Also looking forward to more Longmire, The Fall and Justified. Oh yeah, another series I thought was great was Vikings. Hoping that's going to be continued.

Really enjoyed Sherlock. Very happy it was recommended. Wish there were more episodes on Netflix. Started watching Boardwalk Empire. I'm about mid point into the second season and not liking it quite as much as hoped for. Maybe it's Steve Buscemi being the main character. Also looking forward to more Longmire, The Fall and Justified. Oh yeah, another series I thought was great was Vikings. Hoping that's going to be continued.
Glad you like Sherlock. One of my favorites.

Here's the trailer for Series 3.

Mob City

Had big hopes for the movie Gangster Squad. The post-war period in the "City of Angels" was a highly interesting time. It was based on a great series of articles from the Los Angeles Times. Unfortunately, they took quite a "comic book" approach to it. Only the names real real.

Hoping that Mob City, the new TNT series was going to be better. Saw the first two hours and while good to look at, apparently it rained all the time back in the 40's in L.A. :eek: , the story seemed highly fictionalized. Then I read this from the creator, Frank Darabont, the guy from the Walking Dead.

While Darabont remained faithful to the era’s look, he took liberties with the show’s primary source, John Buntin’s book “L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America’s Most Seductive City.” (For legal reasons, TNT could not use the desired title, “L.A. Noir.”)

“I could have done a straightforward adaptation, like a ‘Masterpiece Theatre’ version, but I didn’t want to be constrained,” he said. “Instead, we’ve gone wild and let our imaginations run.”

Translation:

We wanted to make our own story of the period, but nobody would have watched unless we used real names.

Dammit.

Has anyone watched The Blacklist, with James Spader? Though many people don't like Spader, I really do, especially in Boston Legal. The show looks intriguing but I haven't picked it up yet.

I was clipping through channels last night and saw Bonnie & Clyde was on three channels, so decided to tune in. It was part two of the two part mini-series. While it held my attention, it wasn't very good at all, IMO. Very graphic for basic cable. Anyone else tune in? Is part one worth watching?

Edit: Oh, I suppose I should tell you why I didn't like it, besides being very graphic. I thought I was a very surface level look at B & C. Very little character development or exploration, just a series of violent scenes. Also not historically accurate. I did a quick wiki read on he duo, and much of what the show attributed to B&C was actually done by others in the Barrow Gang.

Thanks to this thread (as usual!) I started watching Suits a few weeks ago and really enjoy it. I'm mid-way through the second season and definitely recommend it. Two of the leading female characters are gorgeous, which doesn't hurt!

Go Gophers!!

I've found 'Community' to be a pretty funny show.

I'd also like to jump in before the comparison is made between SCSU and community college ;)

Top Bottom