All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

I actually didn't mind the first season due to the 'park' project. Andy living in the hole was pretty funny. The show really took of when Rob Lowe came on board imo.
Sure, Season 1 is better than 75% of the other shows on TV. But now it's better than 100% of the other shows.

Here's Rob Lowe on his role on Parks & Rec. (profanity)

[video]http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/54rb[/video]

Great story on Freaks and Geeks in this month's Vanity Fair Comedy issue. The major bone of contention with the network? NBC wanted the kids to "win one once and awhile". Not always, not a happy ending every week but just to let the kids on occasion get a victory. Apatow and in particular Paul Feig, who saw the show almost as an autobiography, were adamant that no, these kids NEVER got a victory.
That's the main reason I could never really get into Curb Your Enthusiasm. It was just one wah-wah after another. I liked Freaks & Geeks. But some levity is nice.

Freaks and Geeks. Judd Apatow's first work. From 1999, stars Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, James Franco. It didn't get the ratings to survive one season, but it should have. Great characters and stories, possibly the best High School show ever. Wife and I are watching on Netflix right now after reading an article about shows that were cancelled way too early.

I would just like to make everyone aware of Netflix's new TV show, starring Kevin Spacey—House of Cards. The entire first season was put out at once to instantly stream on NetFlix. I am only about 3 episodes in, but so far it is up there in my favorite shows of all time. Check it out if you have a Netflix account. Season 2 is currently in production.

I would just like to make everyone aware of Netflix's new TV show, starring Kevin Spacey—House of Cards. The entire first season was put out at once to instantly stream on NetFlix. I am only about 3 episodes in, but so far it is up there in my favorite shows of all time. Check it out if you have a Netflix account. Season 2 is currently in production.

So Netflix is the creator of the show? I'm obviously late to this..

I heard the first two episodes are pretty rough, but it gets better after that. Is that your impression too?

I heard the first two episodes are pretty rough, but it gets better after that. Is that your impression too?

Maybe it's because I am a Kevin Spacey fan, but I was hooked pretty quickly by the intensity of the dialogue. I also started watching knowing nothing about it beforehand.

Thanks for the Park & Rec recommendation!! I have watched the first three seasons so far. I didn't think season 1 was "that bad" but certainly season 2 and 3 have been much better. Big fan of the series and look forward to catching all the way up. My favorite characters are Jean-Ralphio and Ron Swanson.

I also really enjoyed season 1 of Sherlock, the BBC version. I will start season 2 soon.

Thanks all for your recommendations - I haven't had a bad recommendation from the board yet!

Go Gophers!!

Fast and Loud is a pretty good show. New season actually premiers in 20 minutes on Discovery.

Thanks for the Park & Rec recommendation!! I have watched the first three seasons so far. I didn't think season 1 was "that bad" but certainly season 2 and 3 have been much better. Big fan of the series and look forward to catching all the way up. My favorite characters are Jean-Ralphio and Ron Swanson.

I also really enjoyed season 1 of Sherlock, the BBC version. I will start season 2 soon.

Thanks all for your recommendations - I haven't had a bad recommendation from the board yet!

Go Gophers!!
Glad you liked them! Two of my favorites!

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

Glad you liked them! Two of my favorites!

Big fan of "Sherlock", just hope they leave Moriarity dead. Doyle did. TV both American and British, seems to love having the crutch of a "Superstar Villian" usually a Master Criminal or Serial Killer who always knows what will happen and never gets caught or killed. Protagonist gets killed? Series over. That is understandable. Antagonist gets killed? Writers must actually come up with something NEW and they don't like that. That is a little harder to accept.

Oh, here's a review of the complete first season of "House of Cards". It's absolutely FULL OF SPOILERS so don't click on it unless you want to know what happens.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-complete-first-season,92681/

Big fan of "Sherlock", just hope they leave Moriarity dead. Doyle did. TV both American and British, seems to love having the crutch of a "Superstar Villian" usually a Master Criminal or Serial Killer who always knows what will happen and never gets caught or killed. Protagonist gets killed? Series over. That is understandable. Antagonist gets killed? Writers must actually come up with something NEW and they don't like that. That is a little harder to accept.

Oh, here's a review of the complete first season of "House of Cards". It's absolutely FULL OF SPOILERS so don't click on it unless you want to know what happens.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-complete-first-season,92681/
My wife has read a lot of the original Doyle stories, and she said Moriarty isn't really a re-curring over-arching villian. So maybe the show producers are sticking to that. I would like to see them bring back Irene Adler, although I think she has limited appearances in the originals also.

Without ruining anything for Bleed and others, the finale of Series 2 is AWESOME.

My Dad and I were big fans of the Holmes stories. Checked before I type this and yes, Moriarty only appeared twice in the books. The second time The Adventure of the Final Problem, Holmes took him over Reichenbach Falls, where he stayed dead. Holmes considered an arch nemesis and, famously enough, the "Napoleon of Crime". He was mentioned in five other stories but Doyle kept him DEAD. Hope that Sherlock and the Guy Ritchie/Robert Downey movies keep dead.

Like Elementary too. Jonny Lee Miller can rise way above the writing. Hope they don't go the Prison Break, Mentalist, Following, Bones you name it route and make him the universal writer's crutch.

Oh, yeah, Sherlock needs some more Irene Adler!

I'm a big Kevin Spacey fan so I'll have to check it out.

I started watching The Walking Dead a few weeks ago and got totally hooked. I watch the first 2 1/2 seasons on Netflix in about 2 1/2 weeks. It's a zombie show but it's become a lot more about survival and I really enjoy it.

(1) The Wire
(2) Deadwood
(3) Arrested Development (coming out with a new season on Netflix)

(1) The Wire
(2) Deadwood
(3) Arrested Development (coming out with a new season on Netflix)

We've already established that everything starts and stops with The Wire. It's really just a matter of what someone's second favorite all-time TV series is after that.

Speaking of TV series, has there ever been a show take such a dramatic nosedive as The Office? Loved the show for the first 4-5 seasons, the last season or two with Michael Scott started going downhill but there were still a few funny episodes, but it's gotten just plain bad now. I still watch because I'm hoping for a bit of comedy left in it, and I guess I want to see how the Series ends after this year, but gosh is it bad. It's turned more into a drama than it is a comedy.

Go Gophers!!

Speaking of TV series, has there ever been a show take such a dramatic nosedive as The Office? Loved the show for the first 4-5 seasons, the last season or two with Michael Scott started going downhill but there were still a few funny episodes, but it's gotten just plain bad now. I still watch because I'm hoping for a bit of comedy left in it, and I guess I want to see how the Series ends after this year, but gosh is it bad. It's turned more into a drama than it is a comedy.

This season is much better than the last. Don't get me wrong, it's still bad, but last season was historically awful. I'm actually noticing it get better by the week as they know they're approaching the finish line and have a defined point to reach. It's just a show that has hung on too long - How I Met Your Mother (another of my favorites) being in the same boat. Show us the g0ddamn mother already.

If you are a Joss Whedon fan, you can't go wrong with Firefly. Only 14 episodes, but a great Space Western.

We've already established that everything starts and stops with The Wire. It's really just a matter of what someone's second favorite all-time TV series is after that.

Go Gophers!!

My exact feelings on the Office.^

This season is much better than the last. Don't get me wrong, it's still bad, but last season was historically awful. I'm actually noticing it get better by the week as they know they're approaching the finish line and have a defined point to reach. It's just a show that has hung on too long - How I Met Your Mother (another of my favorites) being in the same boat. Show us the g0ddamn mother already.

I still enjoy Mother a lot. It can be hit and miss, but I think it has come back this year. But I am definitely ready for the reveal.

Go Gophers!!
Yes, 30 Rock. Really liked it in the beginning but the later episodes were unwatchable. Glad it's done. The Office is at least tolerable for me, with a few good laughs mixed in with the drama. Unlike 30 Rock which was just plain bad. It'll be interesting to see what NBC comes up with next season to replace those two staples.

Anyone watch Matthew Perry's new show, Go On? I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing earth-shattering, but I've never been disappointed. Mainly because I had low expectations. Also, my wife and I really like Raising Hope.

Good call on 30 Rock. Like Bleed, I am at least still watching The Office to its conclusion. I gave up on 30 Rock 2-3 years ago. It was just terrible. About as bad as the snippets I've seen of 2 Broke Girls. Anyone watched that show. Talk about a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#storm.

Anyone give "Life's too short" a watch yet? Same style as BBC-Office and Extra's. I've liked the first 4 episodes so far.

Yes, 30 Rock. Really liked it in the beginning but the later episodes were unwatchable. Glad it's done. The Office is at least tolerable for me, with a few good laughs mixed in with the drama. Unlike 30 Rock which was just plain bad. It'll be interesting to see what NBC comes up with next season to replace those two staples.

Anyone watch Matthew Perry's new show, Go On? I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing earth-shattering, but I've never been disappointed. Mainly because I had low expectations. Also, my wife and I really like Raising Hope.

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons of 30 Rock. For whatever reason I didn't see a whole lot of the middle seasons and then a year or two ago, I tried watching the show again. I couldn't believe how bad it had become.

My wife and I enjoy Go On. Like you said, nothing earth-shattering. Just a fun little show.

Good call on 30 Rock. Like Bleed, I am at least still watching The Office to its conclusion. I gave up on 30 Rock 2-3 years ago. It was just terrible. About as bad as the snippets I've seen of 2 Broke Girls. Anyone watched that show. Talk about a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#storm.

2 Broke Girls is absolutely horrible. Even in the promo clips you see all the time, I don't find it funny at all, especially the dark haired girl. She's terrible.

Yeah, 30 Rock is one of my favorite shows. The past few seasons have been absolutely terrible. Hard to understand how it became so bad so quickly. Honestly, I haven't been watching the past few seasons.

I'm soooo disappointed in the predictability of episode 4. I don't want to state what it is for spoilers, but i'm on the boarder of hanging up the show because it went the cheap obvious route.

DOWNTON ABBEY!!

My wife started this one, when I game. I chose House of Cards of my two options to watch with her.

All in all I'm happy with this thread as I'm using it to find shows to watch :D.

Top Bottom