All Things Theo John Recruiting Thread

I mean why would a kid ever want to leave subzero winter temperatures to play where it is 60-70° all winter long?
It's actually not that warm in the winter. I visit my parents in Pensacola every winter, even though their condo is right off the Gulf, it's usually in the 40's and 50's when I am done there.

It's actually not that warm in the winter. I visit my parents in Pensacola every winter, even though their condo is right off the Gulf, it's usually in the 40's and 50's when I am done there.

Right off the gulf = colder in winter. Gainesville is inland and a bit further south...the Internet tells me that the average high for a day is 66.2 in the worst month (January) and 68/69 in December/January.

Right off the gulf = colder in winter. Gainesville is inland and a bit further south...the Internet tells me that the average high for a day is 66.2 in the worst month (January) and 68/69 in December/January.
So by weatherguy's logic, what's stopping them from being the next version of John Wooden's UCLA bruins?

So by weatherguy's logic, what's stopping them from being the next version of John Wooden's UCLA bruins?

Same thing that stops UCLA from being the next version of John Wooden's UCLA Bruins: coaching

Billy D had a pretty good run though: 6 time SEC champion, 4 Final Fours, 2 National Championships. The new guy could be a good coach, just needs a few years to prove it.

No one knew who Donovan was when he took over Florida. Then he made the National Championship game in year 4.

Weather does help. They have recent prestige/NBA alums, a fast-paced/pressing system (like ours) that he'd fit in, and I'm assuming decent facilities.

All weather guy was saying is that it's a reasonable option for him. What the hell do we have to offer other than, "it's close to home?" In John's case he'd fit our system, but how sure can he even be that Pitino will even be here when he walks on to campus? I have no idea how one could downgrade Florida.

John said he'd travel to play so assuming that, Florida wins weather, coaching stability, NBA pedigree, fits his style, and probably has better facilities for now. We probably have a better school (I think Florida is one of the few that doesn't completely suck in the SEC) and one could argue they'd rather play in the BIG for prestige...that's about it.

Weather does help. They have recent prestige/NBA alums, a fast-paced/pressing system (like ours) that he'd fit in, and I'm assuming decent facilities.

All weather guy was saying is that it's a reasonable option for him. What the hell do we have to offer other than, "it's close to home?" In John's case he'd fit our system, but how sure can he even be that Pitino will even be here when he walks on to campus? I have no idea how one could downgrade Florida.

John said he'd travel to play so assuming that, Florida wins weather, coaching stability, NBA pedigree, fits his style, and probably has better facilities for now. We probably have a better school (I think Florida is one of the few that doesn't completely suck in the SEC) and one could argue they'd rather play in the BIG for prestige...that's about it.
All I'm saying is if you want to win you can't lose in state guys to schools who aren't bluebloods. It's one thing to lose out on someone you didn't make a big effort on, but anyone with half a brain is going to think wtf if we lose a battle to Florida, Arkansas, Georgia etc. I am sure Arkansas fans thought wtf when we poached quincy lewis and more recently Eric Curry out of their back yard. Gotta protect the home turf at all cost

All I'm saying is if you want to win you can't lose in state guys to schools who aren't bluebloods. It's one thing to lose out on someone you didn't make a big effort on, but anyone with half a brain is going to think wtf if we lose a battle to Florida, Arkansas, Georgia etc. I am sure Arkansas fans thought wtf when we poached quincy lewis and more recently Eric Curry out of their back yard. Gotta protect the home turf at all cost

I'm sorry to break it to you, but right now we aren't winning, and if a guy says "I don't mind playing far from home" we don't have much to offer over schools like Florida. Coffey wanted to stay close to home so here we are.

We'll have to win against the odds for a while before some guys that don't mind leaving town say, "I'd still rather stay home."

If we lose Theo to Washington State? Yeah, that's weird. Florida definitely has some things going for them, though.

All I'm saying is if you want to win you can't lose in state guys to schools who aren't bluebloods.

Florida may not be a classic blue-blood, but they were one of the top 5 best programs under Donovan, and better than several other blue-bloods. Mike White is a young coach, and so far his first year at Florida was better than Donovan's first two years, and his last. Florida is John's best offer to date.

Exactly.

I think you're making a mistake equating Florida with Arkansas and Georgia. Maybe post Donovan they slide into irrelevance, but their past 20 years have been excellent. Current recruits have only known Florida to be good

Based on Marcus' tweet earlier today, sounds like John and Trent will go elsewhere. Sims and Wright the guys he thinks Pitino has a chance to get.

How plugged in is Marcus? I know he's the beat guy but man I disagree with almost all of his basketball takes. That doesn't mean he isn't in the know with the program but I sometimes wonder how much he really knows.

I haven't felt confident in John in over a year. I think Marcus is spot on.

is anyone going to post the tweet or do we have to guess? I quickly looked and didn't see anything. usually people on here' post tweets to help the discussion

Id go with Ryan James. He seems to be the most tied into recruiting.

is anyone going to post the tweet or do we have to guess? I quickly looked and didn't see anything. usually people on here' post tweets to help the discussion

I looked as well and didn't see anything about Theo. Marcus isn't the most informed when it comes to recruiting anyways. The only guy I really trust for Gopher recruiting news/insight is Ryan James.

I never saw the tweet. Marcus leans heavily on guys like Ryan James, when he tweets about recruiting.

Someone asked him about Trent and he said "same as Tyus Jones with Minnesota. Sims & Wright would be good gets." Just didn't mention John in there.

In his latest Scoops podcast, Doogie said that Theo John will make another unofficial visit to the U on June 24.

Go Gophers!!

Here's Marcus' tweet

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really surprised you took that tweet to mean John will go elsewhere. He isn't even referencing John here, he's talking about Gary Trent. We need a guard in this class so obviously Wright is included in the tweet and we may actually prefer Sims over John (not sure we do, but we may) but either way, him not including John in the tweet, at least to me, isn't an indictment of our chances of landing him. I could be wrong though.

Really surprised you took that tweet to mean John will go elsewhere. He isn't even referencing John here, he's talking about Gary Trent. We need a guard in this class so obviously Wright is included in the tweet and we may actually prefer Sims over John (not sure we do, but we may) but either way, him not including John in the tweet, at least to me, isn't an indictment of our chances of landing him. I could be wrong though.

Different interpretations. It happens. I could be wrong, as well. Been wrong many times before. I'll tweet Marcus and see if he responds. If he does, will post it here.

Marcus reply on Theo John

Wright, Sims and John will all sign here.

(Have no knowledge just the positive side of my brain coining out this morning)

Top Bottom