All Things Theo John Recruiting Thread

For what it's worth, Theo was on Doogie's podcast tonight and let it slip that after he announces he has an in home visit scheduled. I have no idea if that's good or bad for Minnesota. Maybe someone else has a theory.

Ryan James reported that Wojo is flying in tomorrow. That would probably be the in home he's talking about.

I can't believe these two would pull the tone deaf stunt of a ceremony with dual announcements both choosing another school over the U, but that appears to be exactly what's going down tomorrow. I personally disagree with everything about that, but I've just come to accept it's a culture I'll never understand (teenager FB and BB recruiting).

Ryan James reported that Wojo is flying in tomorrow. That would probably be the in home he's talking about.

I can't believe these two would pull the tone deaf stunt of a ceremony with dual announcements both choosing another school over the U, but that appears to be exactly what's going down tomorrow. I personally disagree with everything about that, but I've just come to accept it's a culture I'll never understand (teenager FB and BB recruiting).

The Washington tweet is really interesting. Hard to believe he'd be that wrong, but typically late Crystal Ball moves are correct.

Wojo flying in could be one of two things- 1. attempting a last minute save 2. attending the announcement. Perhaps the latter is more possible but the former also could be what is happening, if John hasn't given anyone his final verdict.

I wouldn't think it would be allowed for a coach to attend a recruits announcement. Sounds more like a last minute effort to sign him.

I wouldn't think it would be allowed for a coach to attend a recruits announcement. Sounds more like a last minute effort to sign him.

Yeah, I can't remember a coach being in attendance at any announcements, football or basketball. This has to be a save attempt.

Yeah, I can't remember a coach being in attendance at any announcements, football or basketball. This has to be a save attempt.

Coaches are allowed in home visits right now. John said he has an in home visit after the announcement. It would not be surprising to have a celebratory visit with your new coach. Hate to burst your bubble, but the writing is on the wall here.

Coaches are allowed in home visits right now. John said he has an in home visit after the announcement. It would not be surprising to have a celebratory visit with your new coach. Hate to burst your bubble, but the writing is on the wall here.

That's what I smell, too. Can we ban these press conferences for announcements somehow? Make a show when you sign the letter and the whole thing can be choreographed.

I have no bubble to burst. I was just trying to make a point about not remembering any coaches being at announcements. A celebratory in-home visit before a high school announcement makes sense if that's what you think it is.

Theo is a decent big man but by no means is he an absolute must get. Don't know if he'll ever develop on the offensive end. He just seems like a 9 ppg/5-6 reb max guy during the course of his career to me. Watched him extensively in AAU the past 2 years and I just am not all that thrilled. At the HS level where he is a man amongst boys physically, he still only managed 13 ppg and single digit rebounds. On the flip, Hasahn French really reminds of ND's Bonzie Colson and I think he'd be a better fit and have more of an immediate impact. We've got 2 potential bigs (Oturu, Thompson) in 2018, so all won't be lost if John doesn't commit.

Theo is a decent big man but by no means is he an absolute must get. Don't know if he'll ever develop on the offensive end. He just seems like a 9 ppg/5-6 reb max guy during the course of his career to me. Watched him extensively in AAU the past 2 years and I just am not all that thrilled. At the HS level where he is a man amongst boys physically, he still only managed 13 ppg and single digit rebounds. On the flip, Hasahn French really reminds of ND's Bonzie Colson and I think he'd be a better fit and have more of an immediate impact. We've got 2 potential bigs (Oturu, Thompson) in 2018, so all won't be lost if John doesn't commit.

That's a good perspective. I've been kinda lukewarm on John, too. Haven't watched any of French's tape, but I'll take your word he has potential.

Marquette doesn't have a lot of big men on their roster, Fischer and Heldt are it. Not really a stretch that he will commit to Marquette.

Read through the thread. Several people have been dubious about him from the beginning. The phrase "a ways to go" was used on page 1.

Yep, he fell in the rankings because he did not have a good summer. Oturu was starting to get more playing time and was outpreforming Theo. It's just facts. I would have absolutely welcomed Theo, but he is not a can't miss prospect by any means.

What time is the joint press conference?

Yep, he fell in the rankings because he did not have a good summer. Oturu was starting to get more playing time and was outpreforming Theo. It's just facts. I would have absolutely welcomed Theo, but he is not a can't miss prospect by any means.

This was actually my own take (I think on this thread) that I was lukewarm on Theo but there we're people saying, "well, we didn't get Reuvers but that's because we're after Sims and John" and here w are likely getting neither. I'm sure that will get spun against me that we got a better guy when we sign someone.

Ditto on the Washington/Wright/Davison situation. Washington is fine, but I'm a bit less excited about a small Big East style PG in the BIG...especially since Pitino won't be pressing/running as much and he may not even be here when Washington is supposed to arrive.

You take the best players that you can get that want to be here. Does not matter one iota where they are from. Nothing wrong with local kids who want to play college b-ball more than 25 miles from home. Just want the best players we can get who are also solid student-citizens.

You take the best players that you can get that want to be here. Does not matter one iota where they are from. Nothing wrong with local kids who want to play college b-ball more than 25 miles from home. Just want the best players we can get who are also solid student-citizens.

I don't know if you're replying to me (you seem to be), but I am not knocking them for taking out of state guys. Wasn't my point.

This was actually my own take (I think on this thread) that I was lukewarm on Theo but there we're people saying, "well, we didn't get Reuvers but that's because we're after Sims and John" and here w are likely getting neither. I'm sure that will get spun against me that we got a better guy when we sign someone.

Ditto on the Washington/Wright/Davison situation. Washington is fine, but I'm a bit less excited about a small Big East style PG in the BIG...especially since Pitino won't be pressing/running as much and he may not even be here when Washington is supposed to arrive.

If Pitino said he wouldn't be running and pressing I would assume it's based on the personnel he has this year. Best believe with Washington, McBrayer, Gilbert, Coffey, and Murphy they're gonna run

I believe that, for our staff, Sims and John were indeed higher priorities than Reuvers, Sims being the best of the bunch, and whoever we get will likely not be as good as him. If we get French or Epperson or some other big guy who isn't a total reach, I'll be pretty happy with how this class turned out. Missing out on Sims would be the only real bummer for me. If we had more than 2 scholarships for the ~5 local high major prospects, maybe we would have gone after them harder and gotten them.

I still wouldn't be shocked if we signed Wright, nothing wrong with taking two guards to balance the roster a little bit, especially if that Epperson guy waits until spring, you can stay on him and make room after the season. Either way if the locals don't want to be here then so be it.

I still wouldn't be shocked if we signed Wright, nothing wrong with taking two guards to balance the roster a little bit, especially if that Epperson guy waits until spring, you can stay on him and make room after the season. Either way if the locals don't want to be here then so be it.

Wright is gone. He aint coming here.

It would mean that, at the start of the 2018-19 season, we would only have Curry and Murphy as returning post players, and I don't see either of them playing starter's minutes at the 5. This is why I'm a little bit curious as to why we're going after Hasahn French still. He seems pretty good, but he's listed at only 6'7". I've seen Theo John listed as tall as 6'9", and thought he was supposed to be capable of playing center, but even 6'9" seems a bit on the small side. French seems like an undersized power forward. If we don't take a big man in 2017, we NEED at least 2 in 2018. Maybe Pitino is anticipating a transfer and plans to seek out a JUCO big in the spring, that might work, but I don't love the idea of potentially asking for big time minutes from a young, raw center.

Top Bottom