All Things Shamorie Ponds Recruiting Thread - UPDATED 9/16/15: Visit cancelled

We seem to get a lot of interest and are on short lists of some of the top east coast guys. However we seldom get a visit and never a commit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dorsey from Maryland, McBrayer from NY, and Gilbert from Philly. Don't know if any of these you would consider top east coast guys. Just sharing.

He did Commit to St Johns today... Not sure if thats what you were saying SS?

He did Commit to St Johns today..

Odd it took this long for him to commit. I thought after he canceled his visit here 2-3 days before he was set to get on a plane he would announce right away.

Pitino's in home visit must not have went so hot.

Odd it took this long for him to commit. I thought after he canceled his visit here 2-3 days before he was set to get on a plane he would announce right away.

So lets play the game we all love to play. Did Pitino tell him I've got my 2 scholarships filled, I'd love for you to wait until spring to see if I have something else open up? Did Ponds think about it over a couple weeks and ultimately decide to go to St. Johns rather than wait to see if he got other offers or if something opened up at Minnesota?

So lets play the game we all love to play. Did Pitino tell him I've got my 2 scholarships filled, I'd love for you to wait until spring to see if I have something else open up? Did Ponds think about it over a couple weeks and ultimately decide to go to St. Johns rather than wait to see if he got other offers or if something opened up at Minnesota?

I don't know about the spring part, but I do believe the uncertainty about whether or not to take the visit was due to whether or not the Gophers had another scholarship available as opposed to the other way around. If he was already set on St. John's, he would have committed earlier.

From what I have followed, it looks like Shamorie was always dead set on St. Johns but dad wanted him to go to Providence. Dad was trying to convince him to go out of state, but Shamorie had his mind made up all along.

uncertainty about whether or not to take the visit was due to whether or not the Gophers had another scholarship available

We still had two scholarships available before he canceled his visit. I have no idea what you are talking about.

We still had two scholarships available before he canceled his visit. I have no idea what you are talking about.

The in home visit was September 18th. The commits from Coffey and Curry publicly came the 21st and the 23rd. Is it so hard to believe that the players had already told Pitino that they were highly likely picking MN? you make the in home visit out of respect for a kid you have recruited hard and has connections with your staff. But overall it might have been your way too. I'd say it's about 50:50 as to which happened.

So you believe Pitino and staff were sitting on pins and needles waiting for the announcement just like the rest of us on the 21st and 23rd? I think it's highly likely he already knew Coffey was coming here and felt pretty good about the Curry commitment at the time Ponds/Gophers cancelled the visit.

So you believe Pitino and staff were sitting on pins and needles waiting for the announcement just like the rest of us on the 21st and 23rd? I think it's highly likely he already knew Coffey was coming here and felt pretty good about the Curry commitment at the time Ponds/Gophers cancelled the visit.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pitino instigated the cancelled trip and that he was "in the loop" that Amir and Curry were headed for the U.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pitino instigated the cancelled trip and that he was "in the loop" that Amir and Curry were headed for the U.

It sure appeared to be the case, it seems to me he got verbal commitments from Curry and Coffey and they just scheduled formal announcements for the following week.

People still twisting themselves in knots to believe that Pitino told a top 50 player "No thanks, we're good." Gotta love it.

People still twisting themselves in knots to believe that Pitino told a top 50 player "No thanks, we're good." Gotta love it.

I agree 100%. Pitino was at all of Shamorie's events that he was allowed to be at this summer. He put alot of time in his recruitment. No way he wouldn't go over to sign him.

Exactly.

Posters are talking themselves into the ol' 'we cooled oh him'. Ponds is ranked ~50 spots higher in the nation than Curry and Pitino flew out for an in-home visit days before ponds started waffling on taking his official visit here.

Extremely pleased with Curry and our class, but C'mon people.

Exactly.

Posters are talking themselves into the ol' 'we cooled oh him'. Ponds is ranked ~50 spots higher in the nation than Curry and Pitino flew out for an home visit days before ponds started waffling on the visit.

Extremely pleased with Curry and our class, but C'mon people.

GopherHolers collectively plug their ears with pointer fingers

La, la, la.. we can't hear you. We cooled on him!!!

:)

I agree 100%. Pitino was at all of Shamorie's events that he was allowed to be at this summer. He put alot of time in his recruitment. No way he wouldn't go over to sign him.

Absolutely. They would have taken Shamorie in a heartbeat.

Maybe/maybe not. I can't say that for certain. We are all speculating and/or projecting what we would do if in the same situation.

What we do know is he hasn't "over signed" in the three years he has been here. When he filled his 2015 class, he didn't continue to try to sign players in the event Jarvis or Nwankwo didn't get cleared.

I don't think we cooled on him at all. I just don't see the university of Minnesota would allow us to take 4 commitments with 3 open scholarships.

Now, how that plays into Ponds' decision timetable, I have no freaken clue.

I just don't see the university of Minnesota would allow us to take 4 commitments

They are year to year scholarships, Pitino should be able to do whatever the hell he wants.

I would have taken Ponds as a 4th recruit, given the well documented average of D1 transfers per year.

They are year to year scholarships, Pitino should be able to do whatever the hell he wants.

I would have taken Ponds as a 4th recruit, given the well documented average of D1 transfers per year.

I don't disagree with you.

Didn't the Big 10 do something where your scholarship is guaranteed for your 4-5 years? Either way, taking a guys scholarship away is a good way to get kids to NOT commit to you.

Also, we are guard heavy. Coffey was recruited under the assumption he would play both guard positions. Signing another true point guard would not be smart when you NEED big men. I think the numbers just didn't work out for us signing another point guard. Does that mean Ponds wanted to come here? No. But our need for him took a nose dive when Coffey committed

Coffey was recruited under the assumption he would play both guard positions. Signing another true point guard would not be smart when you NEED big men.

That wouldn't deter me from Ponds.

Top Bottom