All Things Shamorie Ponds Recruiting Thread - UPDATED 9/16/15: Visit cancelled

I still think Ponds will end up in NYC, but I like our chances with the others. Getting the foursome would be earth shattering.

Hard not to feel good about Ponds and the class at this point... perhaps SJU is the (slight) fav, but that still leaves us with very good odds.

Ponds in Providence this weekend. Looks like he may actually go through with all officials (as he stated he would). Any rumblings after the in home visits this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be very dissapointing if he made his decision without even coming here.

"Ponds was scheduled to take an official visit to Minnesota next weekend, but said he’s not certain if he will go.

“Not sure,” he said.

Ponds has also taken official visits to St. John’s and Creighton"

http://zagsblog.com/articles/shamorie-ponds-enjoys-providence-visit-uncertain-of-next-move/

It would be disappointing, especially considering he seemed to be seriously interested earlier on. I wonder if he's just so set on St. John's that he felt his visit to Providence was pointless and that his visit here would be too.

That would be very dissapointing if he made his decision without even coming here.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/shamorie-ponds-enjoys-providence-visit-uncertain-of-next-move/

Extremely... take the visit!

“My best analogy is he has a little bit of Kenny Anderson in him and a lot of Nick Van Exel in him because he’s active on defense, he’s crafty with the ball like Kenny, he shoots it like Nick,” he said. “He distributes like Kenny. He has a combination of those two guys. He’s a lefty. You might even throw a little bit of Brandon Jennings in there.”

If you saw him during the all star game that was televised, one on one bothe offensively and defensively, he belonged with the other 20 kids that were there, despite being the slightest on the court. All were within top 100 and most were top 50.

My optimism about Ponds ending up in Maroon and Gold is about the same as it is with Trent Jr.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If the "visit" alone remains up in the air, he isn't coming here...

On the surface yes, BUT if he did visit, something could happen to completely change his mind toward Minnesota. If in fact he ends up not visiting, that's hard to spin to him becoming a Gopher, I agree.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is there any possibility the "up in the air" is on the Gophers side? I don't think so, but if we thought the Coffey and Curry commitments were imminent -- is it a possibility? It just seems odd to me to waffle so much on whether or not to even take the visit. If his mind is made up, just cancel. If not, take the visit. We really don't have precedent on whether or not Pitino would over-sign except for the chain of events last fall regarding Illikainen. Again -- I think this is probably on the Ponds side, but wanted to throw it out there.

Is there any possibility the "up in the air" is on the Gophers side? I don't think so, but if we thought the Coffey and Curry commitments were imminent -- is it a possibility?.

I've asked that question myself.

It now looks very good that we're getting Coffey and Curry. And even though typically-trusted writers say we'd "oversign" for Ponds, it's never been done here before and Pitino didn't do it last year, he has bosses to answer to in the AD that could have a view on that, and MN also has a loaded 2017 class (with currently only the Buggs scholly coming off the books).

It now looks very good that we're getting Coffey and Curry. And even though typically-trusted writers say we'd "oversign" for Ponds, it's never been done here before and Pitino didn't do it last year, he has bosses to answer to in the AD that could have a view on that, and MN also has a loaded 2017 class (with currently only the Buggs scholly coming off the books).

I made this point earlier. I'll believe it when it I see it with regards to over signing a class.

I don't want to take the time to look, but I remember reading here previously that we've had an unexpected departure here every single year for the last several years. I don't see any reason to think that this year will be any different.

I don't want to take the time to look, but I remember reading here previously that we've had an unexpected departure here every single year for the last several years. I don't see any reason to think that this year will be any different.

I remember reading that as well. I wonder what the % of teams without some type of departures are among P5 schools... I have to think it's pretty low. I just can't imagine that we're turning away top 60 kids because we think we're going to get commitments from other players in the near future.

Then again if Pitino is absolutely positive that Coffey and Curry will be committing in the next few days I guess it's possible that he's telling Ponds to stay home. I certainly wouldn't blame him for not wanting to put himself in a position where he might have to pull a kid's scholarship.

My gut says Ponds just isn't that interested, though.

My gut says Ponds just isn't that interested, though.

That appears to be almost a certainty, but I do enjoy the forming narrative that we're the ones not interested and that we're not going to accept the commitment of a top 50 recruit.

There is the possibility of a transfer out of here. Buggs may not get too much run if these Freshmen PFs are as good as they have shown. And if not, one of them may transfer if its clear Murphy and Buggs are going to get all the run.

You can't stop until all have signed on the line that is dotted!

That appears to be almost a certainty, but I do enjoy the forming narrative that we're the ones not interested and that we're not going to accept the commitment of a top 50 recruit.

Again -- I qualified my original comment twice by stating and implying I would still put my money on Ponds being the question mark here. I do understand we have lost a player unexpectedly pretty much every year. However, could you point me in the direction of where at any point we had more players signed than we had spots. I don't recall that happening here (although I didn't follow this as closely pre-Pitino). It hasn't happened since Pitino has been here. I personally believe if Coffey signs, we still have a massive hole at the four and that would be the focus. Between Mason/Dorsey/Coffey, we would be really in a good spot at the 1 and 2.

Again -- I qualified my original comment twice by stating and implying I would still put my money on Ponds being the question mark here. I do understand we have lost a player unexpectedly pretty much every year. However, could you point me in the direction of where at any point we had more players signed than we had spots. I don't recall that happening here (although I didn't follow this as closely pre-Pitino). It hasn't happened since Pitino has been here. I personally believe if Coffey signs, we still have a massive hole at the four and that would be the focus. Between Mason/Dorsey/Coffey, we would be really in a good spot at the 1 and 2.

I know you did - I wasn't talking about you.

I know you did - I wasn't talking about you.

And I hope you weren't reading my post as me saying we are turning anyone down. I just don't think we are signing more than we have open scholarships. Doesn't mean I don't expect us to sign 4 in this class, I just don't think we sign someone before we have an opening. So that means we reach for a fall kid, like usual.

I agree, but often times that leads to a spring recruit. If we use Buggs tender to over sign, we may well head into the fall of 2017 without a scholarship.

I agree, but often times that leads to a spring recruit. If we use Buggs tender to over sign, we may well head into the fall of 2017 without a scholarship.

At this point it feels to me like they have an indication from Coffey and Curry that they are heavy Gopher leans and they have told Ponds that they still want him but the other two have the first shots at the schollys. I don't think they would over sign in the fall and I don't think it sends a good message to the current team.

At this point it feels to me like they have an indication from Coffey and Curry that they are heavy Gopher leans and they have told Ponds that they still want him but the other two have the first shots at the schollys. I don't think they would over sign in the fall and I don't think it sends a good message to the current team.

Hope you're right. Two good recruiting classes in a row and we will be in the hunt next season.

I agree, I don't think Pitino would oversign, but with these three, Curry, Coffey, and Ponds I would think he would gladly take the first one that commits, if the reason Ponds is not visiting is because of Coffey and Curry I would hope that he already has a commitment from these two and is waiting to publicly announce it, I just can't see holding a scholership open and end up in Reed Travis scenario.

I agree, I don't think Pitino would oversign, but with these three, Curry, Coffey, and Ponds I would think he would gladly take the first one that commits, if the reason Ponds is not visiting is because of Coffey and Curry I would hope that he already has a commitment from these two and is waiting to publicly announce it, I just can't see holding a scholership open and end up in Reed Travis scenario.

6-7 to 6-8 athletes that can run and shoot and handle the ball are a lot tougher to find than good guards. If they feel they can get these guys they have to hold a spot for them even though Ponds is very good. From everything we have heard it sounds like Pitino and crew shoot it pretty straight to the players and tell them where they stand, which would make sense with what is going on here.

Since neither Coffey or Curry have committed, the chances we would turn away a Ponds visit at this point are next to zero imo.

Top Bottom