All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

could someone take a moment to explain how long JJ is at IA CC... its the amt of time it takes to complete the degree ...correct?

Here are the pertinent rules below. See page 24 of the attachment for a complete breakdown. http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2014.pdf

If you complete 12 hours/semester or quarter for each term of full time attendance AND earn a GPA of 2.5 or above AND graduate from the CC AND have one calendar year elapse since you left the previous University then you can transfer and play immediately.

If no to any, you can practice, you can receive a scholarship, but you sit out a year.

But on top of that, to play you need to have a certain GPA and have completed X% of a 4 year degree after each year (20% 1st year, 40% 2nd, 60% 3rd, 80% 4th).

Basically with all that, I think he'll be lucky to have one year of actual playing time. He's got to be way behind (unless his clock didn't start until this year with the initial eligibility issues).

Also, I don't know if it's technically a transfer if you go back to the same school. I think he could go down there, get his grades up, and as long as the U accepted the grades, I think he could just come back and play as soon as his GPA and progress is ok, but I am a little less clear on that.

Also from what I read ISU could not contact him this year without written permission from MN.

Here are the pertinent rules below. See page 24 of the attachment for a complete breakdown. http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2014.pdf

If you complete 12 hours/semester or quarter for each term of full time attendance AND earn a GPA of 2.5 or above AND graduate from the CC AND have one calendar year elapse since you left the previous University then you can transfer and play immediately.

If no to any, you can practice, you can receive a scholarship, but you sit out a year.

But on top of that, to play you need to have a certain GPA and have completed X% of a 4 year degree after each year (20% 1st year, 40% 2nd, 60% 3rd, 80% 4th).

Basically with all that, I think he'll be lucky to have one year of actual playing time. He's got to be way behind (unless his clock didn't start until this year with the initial eligibility issues).

Also, I don't know if it's technically a transfer if you go back to the same school. I think he could go down there, get his grades up, and as long as the U accepted the grades, I think he could just come back and play as soon as his GPA and progress is ok, but I am a little less clear on that.

Also from what I read ISU could not contact him this year without written permission from MN.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

No problem. I only read a couple pages of that PDF so there may be some exceptions (I'm sure there are).

Unfortunately, I'll be stunned if we ever see him again. I hope I'm wrong, but I think his chances of becoming eligible for D1 (or D2) are pretty slim.

He will never be a Gopher...

http://www.startribune.com/jeff-jon...cruit-jailed-on-felony-drug-charge/379444131/

Jones, 20, was arrested Thursday afternoon by Bloomington police after being stopped for speeding in the area of 84th St. and Portland Av., according to the arrest record. A routine check revealed he had no Minnesota driver’s license and a warrant for a felony drug charge in Iowa, according to the Hennepin County attorney’s office.

When police searched Jones, they found cocaine in his sock and a loaded handgun under the front seat. He was arrested, booked and transferred to the Hennepin County jail.

That is really sad. I was pulling for him as it sounded like he had a rough time growing up. This could explain why he never saw the field here besides special teams.

So.... were never recruiting anymore high profile local players anymore, right?...
What terrible luck with this.

What a complete waste of talent with an opportunity to make a lot of money - and just to think that all he had to do was study and go to class. Simple things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Very sad..

I always felt his reason for not being on the field was not talent...my gosh, no idea there might be this many issues ...drugs, guns, fights, kicked off his "new" team, academics, volunteering I sell marijuana... No idea how but hopefully somebody helps him to figure it all out. Makes you feel so helpless knowing there is so much potential just spiraling further down. My prayers are with Jeff Jones.

It certainly helps explain why maybe he wasn't on the field as a Gopher running back.

Were not any of these problems apparent when he was signed and the admissions committee admitted him?
The Gophers dodged a bullet.

Were not any of these problems apparent when he was signed and the admissions committee admitted him?
Feels to me like the Gophers did all they could to step in front of this bullet during the admissions process, ignoring the red flags. Jones was obviously not a college quality STUDENT-athlete.

Some people need football. Football doesn't need anyone. Not even Kill and his mentoring is for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the issue with his grades was always known.

I don't know that he had criminal run ins that you could find before that.

Having said that he stayed clean with us so maybe we kept him in line for a bit....

Some people need football. Football doesn't need anyone. Not even Kill and his mentoring is for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm lost, how does Kill's mentoring play into this? We have zero knowledge on positive or negative effects of Kill's mentorship on Jones...none.

I'm lost, how does Kill's mentoring play into this? We have zero knowledge on positive or negative effects of Kill's mentorship on Jones...none.

Well, Kill's advocating for Jeff did get him admitted into the U despite being an NCAA non qualifier so theres that.

Kill went to bat for the kid and tried to cover the issues to give him a chance. Jones didn't seize the opportunity given him. Something like this makes me have even more respect for what Kill tries to do for kids.

What a sad crying shame. You can't saved everyone. In my heart of hearts, he was too far gone to be saved. The streets claimed him.

Cedric Thompson is a good example of Jerry Kill's success at enabling underprivileged kids to turn their lives around. But, Cedric had a burning desire to succeed.

I wonder if part of football-related work that Jerry Kill was after with the U is to help mentor kids from dire circumstances.

Hopefully, Mark Coyle can find something for JK a genuine quality human being you'd want in your organization.

IMHO, this where investment in early childhood and family education can help save kids at risk by early mentoring so that young kids are thought early in life that there are possibilities and role models regardless of economic or family circumstances. That hard work can help you succeed against all odds.

Investment in our communities like this can reach at risk kids before they become harden adults. More prisons is not a good solution.

We need more Darell Thompsons in this world. http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/02/03/minnesotan-to-meet-darrell-thompson-of-bolder-options/

Top Bottom