All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Look guys. I am NOT saying he will not be good. I am just saying that your statements of absolute success are based on nothing. He has NOT set foot on the field yet at this level. So let's find out starting next year.

Look guys. I am NOT saying he will not be good. I am just saying that your statements of absolute success are based on nothing. He has NOT set foot on the field yet at this level. So let's find out starting next year.

The Don has a point.

Our history of 4* recruits since 2008 is not good. About 25% of them have panned out which is about 4 out of 16 (Michael Carter, Marquise Gray, Keanon Cooper, and Traye Simmons), and you could argue that at least half of them did not live up to 4* potential.

Every 4* Kill has recruited is either not on the team or not playing very much. Of the three 4* that Kill has recruited, two of them are not on the team and weren't very good while they were on the team (McDonald, and Harbison), and the jury is still out on one (Hayes).

So we don't know if Jones can do anything yet. History indicates that he'll probably never see the field as a 4* Gopher Recruit or will be a major disappointment. Jeff has the raw talent to be great, but he hasn't shown anything at the college level and our program does not have a track record of being able to develop elite recruits.

Happy Friday :)

The Don has a point.

Our history of 4* recruits since 2008 is not good. About 25% of them have panned out which is about 4 out of 16 (Michael Carter, Marquise Gray, Keanon Cooper, and Traye Simmons), and you could argue that at least half of them did not live up to 4* potential.

Every 4* Kill has recruited is either not on the team or not playing very much. Of the three 4* that Kill has recruited, two of them are not on the team and weren't very good while they were on the team (McDonald, and Harbison), and the jury is still out on one (Hayes).

So we don't know if Jones can do anything yet. History indicates that he'll probably never see the field as a 4* Gopher Recruit or will be a major disappointment. Jeff has the raw talent to be great, but he hasn't shown anything at the college level and our program does not have a track record of being able to develop elite recruits.

Happy Friday :)

Fair enough point. Atitude is everything. If he has the burning desire and work ethic of Cedric Thompson or David Cobb, watch out B1G!

I mean he was playing the top recruits in the country and he caught a good amount of throws out of the backfield. He might take some time to learn pass blocking but let's hope he can learn a bunch in the spring if his grades are good enough and he dominates next year (Rs Fr) like the true freshman from Northwestern is doing right now.

I mean he was playing the top recruits in the country and he caught a good amount of throws out of the backfield. He might take some time to learn pass blocking but let's hope he can learn a bunch in the spring if his grades are good enough and he dominates next year (Rs Fr) like the true freshman from Northwestern is doing right now.

There is no doubting that Jones has the raw ability to be a great player but it is silly to look at what he did in an all-star game as proof that he is going to live up to the hype. Those all-star games are glorified exhibition games whose main purpose is to give the big shots a chance to put on a hat on National TV. The fact that he was in the game speaks to his ability, not what he did or did not do in the game itself.

I think the odds are strong that he will develop into a very good to great college player but it is in no way a lock that it will happen or that it will happen quickly.

There is no doubting that Jones has the raw ability to be a great player but it is silly to look at what he did in an all-star game as proof that he is going to live up to the hype. Those all-star games are glorified exhibition games whose main purpose is to give the big shots a chance to put on a hat on National TV. The fact that he was in the game speaks to his ability, not what he did or did not do in the game itself.

I think the odds are strong that he will develop into a very good to great college player but it is in no way a lock that it will happen or that it will happen quickly.

Thank you. I rest my case.

Jones is not only a tough runner who is difficult to bring down (Cobb-esque), he is also a BIG weapon in the passing game. This fits right into Leidner's comfort zone by allowing him to dump the ball off in the flat and execute screens knowing Jones is sure handed and can turn it into a nice gain.

In GameDay's defense, its not like he made any crazy predictions. He said he is a tough runner and good receiving threat. Folks are acting like he predicted a Heisman. Let fans be excited about the future. We are losing Cobb so it is fair discussion. On to Purdue now...

per FSN's Q&A:

Q: What is new with Jeff Jones and his status for next year? -- Anthony, Mankato, Minn.

A: Nothing really new on the Jeff Jones front. The former Minneapolis Washburn standout running back was one of the biggest recruits in last year's recruiting class for Kill and the Gophers. But due to academic issues, he hasn't been with the team this season. The last I heard was that Jones was attending school at the university but still hadn't been eligible to join the Gophers due to low test scores.

It's likely that Jones would have redshirted this season anyway, especially with last year's emergence of running back David Cobb and a stable of dependable backups. But Cobb and fellow running back Donnell Kirkwood are both seniors, meaning there will be more carries to go around next year for other running backs. If all goes well with Jones academically, I wouldn't think it would be out of the question for him to possibly see some playing time next year.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/tyler-mason-s-nov-12-gophers-mailbag-111214

Go Gophers!!

So, from what he is saying, Jones is still getting low test scores even in college. I hope he works out.

Sign above reads "Student Academic Success Services." Looks like he is putting in work.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I feel like Hyman Roth from Godfather II. I'm going to take a nap this offseason. When I wake up, if Jones if is uniform I know I have an RB.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Jeff Jones isn't getting 15-20 carries a game next season, we'll have a disappointing year.

He needs to be eligible and ready to be a stud right away.

Sign above reads "Student Academic Success Services." Looks like he is putting in work.

He shouldn't be talking about cashing checks. :cool02:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Jeff Jones isn't getting 15-20 carries a game next season, we'll have a disappointing year.

He needs to be eligible and ready to be a stud right away.

The Jeff Jones Jet Sweep (TM) or better yet, The Jeff Sweep

The Jeff Jones Jet Sweep (TM) or better yet, The Jeff Sweep

Nah he's gonna be the bell cow in the backfield w/ Berk getting the jets and some carries out of the backfield in my best guess

Jeff will have a hard time beating out Rodney Smith. Smith will have been here a year, will know the system and in the fall scrimmage was the best running back to my eyes - has very good speed and some shake and bake. Go to the roster page and watch his highlights and hear Limegrover talk about him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a little bit more of a RB by committee next year. Let a few guys get in the mix early and then ride the hot hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a little bit more of a RB by committee next year. Let a few guys get in the mix early and then ride the hot hand.

Probably a good assessment of the situation.

Glad to see Jones taking care of the academic side of things.

My gut tells me Jeff and Roderick split carries with Berkley getting a few wrinkles in there. I liked Rodney Smith a lot in the scrimmage too and remember Limegrover talking about him a lot but I don't know if this will be his year. Also I don't think this staff likes going by RB by committee as I remember Coach Anderson telling Cobb, Nugget and Kirkwood in a meeting after the non con that he need one of them to separate from the other two.

Everything is predicated on the maturation of the O-Line and TE blocking schemes.

We are starting to see the whole rushing/passing package develop.

I am excited for the Gopher's potential next year with the red shirt RBs WRs.

Jeff will have a hard time beating out Rodney Smith. Smith will have been here a year, will know the system and in the fall scrimmage was the best running back to my eyes - has very good speed and some shake and bake. Go to the roster page and watch his highlights and hear Limegrover talk about him.

Jeff won't have a hard time beating out anyone if he's eligible.

Top Bottom